Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to have my power consumption tested

Options
  • 28-02-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new house last September. My bills have been 200 or more compared to my previous residence where they were 130 at the highest. I live alone, heating is by oil only, I don't use the immersion. I rarely use a tumble dryer. I don't even use the upstairs of the house. So, its just lights downstairs in 5 rooms, cooking once a day by stove top, tv for a couple of hours, and a laptop on pretty much all day long. How can I have my energy consumption tested.

I was an energy hog in my last house by the way, halogen lights, lights on all over the house, two computers, tv on all the time, tumble dryer possessed by demons...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Percy,

Is your last bill based on a reading or estimate?

What we would recommend first is using our Appliance Calculator to see what devices are consuming: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/smartphone-calculator.jsp

A test to do is: turn off all power (at the main trip) for approximately 10 minutes, and then inspect the meter. The rotating disc (or flashing dial if it's digital) should have come to a stop by then. If it hasn't, it could indicate a problem with the internal wiring.

Issues with wiring are a matter for an external electrician to investigate. If the meter needs to be checked (on the basis of the above check) we arrange an ESB Networks technician to visit.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Hi Percy,

Is your last bill based on a reading or estimate?

What we would recommend first is using our Appliance Calculator to see what devices are consuming: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/smartphone-calculator.jsp

A test to do is: turn off all power (at the main trip) for approximately 10 minutes, and then inspect the meter. The rotating disc (or flashing dial if it's digital) should have come to a stop by then. If it hasn't, it could indicate a problem with the internal wiring.

Issues with wiring are a matter for an external electrician to investigate. If the meter needs to be checked (on the basis of the above check) we arrange an ESB Networks technician to visit.

Regards,
    Una
    A reading unfortunately Una :) Ok, I will run the test you advise, and take it from there. Thanks for the speedy feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Percy,

No problem. Was the previous bill (or bills) based on an estimate?

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Hi again Percy,

No problem. Was the previous bill (or bills) based on an estimate?

Regards,
    Una
    Previous bills were readings. The latest one is actually an estimate but looking at the meter, it seems about right.

Advertisement