Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which television to buy?

• 28-02-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in as good a place as any, for max results.

**Can be moved if it's not Mods**

I want to but a tv this Sunday. It has to fulfill one scenario. It needs to be both HD and 3D capable. After that I am tired reading about the pros and cons of LCD v LED v Plasma, so I now just want folks actual experiences with particular brands/models. It was initially going to be wall mounted but the only wall I have free is over a gas fire, which does emit a certain amount of heat that wouldn't be to good for the tv. So now, it's going on the floor/stand. And thinking about it, I assume you need to be fairly central in front of 3D tv's to get the best out of the 3D image..?

Oh yeah, i know the glasses are more expensive, but I would be more inclined to go with "active 3D" rather than passive.

I'm open to suggestions but would like reviews from people who have the tv they suggest to me. Budget will have to be €800/€900 tops. And I am sort of leaning towards a plasma to start with, as I know it handles black light best and have one at the minute but its 6 yrs old. TV size must be no less than 42" please. Preferably 47" . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd bump the budget up a little bit OP if you want 47 inch quality with 3D and all the bells and whistles. I can't recommend anything right now as my TV is 4 years old so I won't be in the market for a replacement for a while yet I hope.

I'd recommend having a look at Pixmania.ie where there are good deals to be had for the type of money you want to spend. If you go this route, be sure to look for something that's FreeView HD or, more specifically, one that is capable of DVB-T2 as otherwise it won't handle SaorView and, unless you've got Sky or UPC, you'll be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Sorry yeah, meant to say.. Have Sky HD package, so will benefit from their 3D channel also. And although watching lots of 3D isn't great on the eyes, the rest of the family will use that function, so may as well have it.

p.s.

Had heard some poor reports about Pixmania and although I have never used them, I would rather pay another hundred if I had to, to get it in a store somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I can only comment on Pixmania in that the TV I currently have was bought off them. I had no issue with delivery or anything but, yes, if the TV ups and dies in 2 months then that would make life more awkward. Generally they're reliable items though but it's a chance you take like all electronic gear. My brother in law bought from them last year and is happy enough too.

Not pushed about 3D myself and I'd prefer to see Glasses-less 3D come along. Think 4K is my big next thing, though you'd want a 70 inch TV to appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Every year there is a huge conference of technology companies showing their products for the coming year for the media. Its always in vegas and im pretty sure it was last month

This year there was like or no 3D tvs. They're seen as a failure and haven't taken off at all. Tv networks arent bothered to record tv in 3D. I imagine as millions was recently seen on HD cameras. But the new hot items are ultra HD tvs.

So you might just want to go for a non 3d as it may never take off

Advertisement