Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment Problem

Options
  • 28-02-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - I am on a monthly salary paid the last Friday of each month. Company have decided to change the date of payment to the 12th of each month. I understand they can change the date but last payment will be April 25th then I won't get paid again until June 12th! And on June 12th I will still only get paid for the 4 weeks of May. Effectively I am losing half a months salary here as they are switching to payment in arrears.
    I have been getting conflicting advice as to whether this is allowable or not?

Anyone any idea if this company are in breach of the payment of wages act?

Ideal scenario for me would be to pay me for the first 2 weeks in May - then switch to their mid month payment date...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You aren't losing two weeks pay, it's just being delayed. You will now get that two weeks pay, and the following two weeks, in your June pay..

For a proper answer, re whether this is allowed, ask NERA.

My guess is that it's allowed, there's no onus on them to pay you in advance.

And just as a general piece of life advice, you should always try to have enough money to live on for "a few weeks" in the bank, to cover you if things go wrong. At home, I used to recommend six weeks worth. Here, make it 12 because welfare payments can be so slow to get started. If you have this, then a switch from payment-in-advance to payment-in-arrears (which is more common, AFAIK) won't hurt much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice :)

They pay me at the end of the month for the month just worked - this is not paying me in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You aren't losing two weeks pay, it's just being delayed. You will now get that two weeks pay, and the following two weeks, in your June pay..

For a proper answer, re whether this is allowed, ask NERA.

My guess is that it's allowed, there's no onus on them to pay you in advance.

And just as a general piece of life advice, you should always try to have enough money to live on for "a few weeks" in the bank, to cover you if things go wrong. At home, I used to recommend six weeks worth. Here, make it 12 because welfare payments can be so slow to get started. If you have this, then a switch from payment-in-advance to payment-in-arrears (which is more common, AFAIK) won't hurt much at all.

Thanks for the advice Mrs Bumble - have called NERA and they say yes they are in breach as they can't go longer than a month without paying employees...

The life advice is not needed but thanks am sure it was well meant...
    While this payment change may not "hurt" financially if a certain move is illegal by the company I would like to know...

Advertisement