Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old cat gone bananas!/spoilt behaviour/demanding!

• 28-02-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi :-)

It seems as if all our animals are gone ga ga lately! anyway...

Our 7 year old cat (who was neutered when he was1) has for the last few weeks been very .. naughty!

He goes mental around the house. Running from room to room, playing like he used to when he was a kitten. Suddenly loves to play with string again, marbles etc. His appetite has increased and yes he has put on a little extra padding. (Ahem)
    But, it's almost like he is reverting back to being a kitten. As an adult cat he was very conservative. Now it's like he's acting spoilt. I don't really mind this playful behavious at all, but is it normal? Is he having a mid life crisis? ha!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Maybe he's just got a new lease of life. Have you changed his food or toys or anything around the time he started getting more playful? I've changed our cats food to a higher protein lower carb food and got a new toy that he loves. He's carrying more weight than I or the vet would like, so that was why the changes were made.

Anyway I've noticed since we changed food and got the new toy, he's been acting like he did when he was 1 or 2, he's about 6 now. Now he always wants to play and he gallops around the house and up and down the stairs like a pony. We call it the crazy half hour when he does it, although it happens a few times a day, I think he's actually more playful now then he was at 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Heroditas

May I ask what wet food you guys are feeding your cats?
    Mine have been a wee bit sluggish recently and two of them could do with losing the spare tyre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Heroditas wrote: »
    May I ask what wet food you guys are feeding your cats?
    Mine have been a wee bit sluggish recently and two of them could do with losing the spare tyre!

I put our 2 on Applaws dry food and they have 1 or 2 packs of Felix split into half a pouch at a time. If they have a treat it will be cooked or raw chicken and in that case we see the chicken as being the equivalent of a half pouch so they'd get a half a pouch less.

Also I can't recommend the Da Bird toy highly enough. I can't believe how much my 2 love it and its great to see our heavier chap jumping around instead of slumped on the sofa or bed for most of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We divide two pouches of Multifit betwen the three monsters at dinner time and they then get Hills Light dry food in the morning and last time at night - very small portions.
    We had them on the Hills regular stuff for a while and I only recently moved them back to the Light stuff and cut the portion size. They're indoors all day so perhaps they need a bit of time to shift the weight.

One is like a rake but the other two are quite chunky, probably because they polish of her portions if she doesn't finish them immediately! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Funnily enough... it's the food pouches his on too!!!! For about 3 weeks...so that adds up! (Gawd, I feel silly now!)

He'd eat 4 a day if he got them, and has a major issue with full fat milk. He can't get enough of it, even though I now he shouldn't. But the minute he hears the fridge going...he darts up the hall bawling like a starved animal! Very amusing to watch!

Alot of the time though it's the Lidl pouches he gets (so not always the more expensive sort)
    And of course the toys from his Christmas stocking. He has never had cat nip though. I was thinking of getting him some, but now I'm not so sure! thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

I just noticed that he made bits of the contents of a potted plant outside the back door! He ripped into the soil and started digging stuff up...how can one cat make such a mess! It's not like he needed to use it as a toilet! He really is being naughty! He's rebelling for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Hi :-)

It seems as if all our animals are gone ga ga lately! anyway...

Our 7 year old cat (who was neutered when he was1) has for the last few weeks been very .. naughty!

He goes mental around the house. Running from room to room, playing like he used to when he was a kitten. Suddenly loves to play with string again, marbles etc. His appetite has increased and yes he has put on a little extra padding. (Ahem)
    But, it's almost like he is reverting back to being a kitten. As an adult cat he was very conservative. Now it's like he's acting spoilt. I don't really mind this playful behavious at all, but is it normal? Is he having a mid life crisis? ha!

it's called Springtime - just like humans are happy to see dark winter days gone, so are animals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Funnily enough... it's the food pouches his on too!!!! For about 3 weeks...so that adds up! (Gawd, I feel silly now!)
    If you feed him McD cat food (i.e. Whiskas, Felix etc.) then expect him to act accordingly. I'd look at switching to Grau or Feringa (both available from Zooplus.ie); you can usually get the larger cans at the same or similar price as Whiskas/Felix pouches but the quality of the food is night and day.

Advertisement