Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB, Bord Gais, Airtricity

Options
  • 28-02-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on what electrical supplier has the best combined rates and service at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I can't remeber the specifics involved. But I bought a house in August and based on my research at the time decided on Electric Ireland for Gas and Electricity.
    Have a look on the suppliers sites and see what is currently on offer.
    Bonkers.ie is also worth a look for cost comparisons on all sorts of bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I can't remeber the specifics involved. But I bought a house in August and based on my research at the time decided on Electric Ireland for Gas and Electricity.
    Have a look on the suppliers sites and see what is currently on offer.
    Bonkers.ie is also worth a look for cost comparisons on all sorts of bills etc.

That's a great site, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aitricity are cheaper, but have a very bad reputation as regards billing people and taking out to much in direct doposits etc.

I would rather pay a little extra to board gais than deal with airtricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Found airtricity to be dearest due to high standing charges. EI for power and flogas seem to be cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

MYOB wrote: »
    Found airtricity to be dearest due to high standing charges. EI for power and flogas seem to be cheapest

That's the combination I'm on, seem's to be the cheapest

• Advertisement

Well we're actually with Airtricity but wanted to check if there are cheaper plans. Going by that website linked above, a move to Bord Gais would be a little cheaper, saving about 80 a year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Combo for us- electricity from Bord Gais, and gas from EI. Bord Gais don't have any good offers for retaining customers (they seem to think that Tesco Clubcard points are sufficient)- so it makes sense to switch everytime your new customer offers run out. Avoid Airtricity like the plague- their customer services people are ignorant morans (they have been trying to bill me for my next door neighbours power for over 2 years, and seem to be incapable of accepting that its not my meter- despite the fact I have a meter of my own, and have never ever been a customer of theirs in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm currently moving from Airtricity to EI as they started charging me €45 extra a month and couldn't explain why. Received a call from an Airtricity rep yesterday offering me a 14% discount. He was very pushy and it took a while to get him off the call. I was close to just hanging up. Between this and the fact that its too little too late, It confirmed my decision to move but goes to show the value in shopping around regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

i had been with airtricity and i would never touch them with a barge pole again they were late with their bills and then the amount of times where they didnt bill fully for electricity and added it to the next bill was such a pain. i moved to electric ireland and have had a much better experience with them bills on time and from what ive seen its less than i was paying airtricity

I read over in another forum that it is next to impossible to get back your deposit off EI. They credit your balance to your account after the 14 month mark and only then can it be issued in the form of a cheque. It seems a bit of a hassle.

BTW does anyone know (before I call Bord Gais and wait in strict rotation) if the customer deposit is required for a new customer if I have been a customer in the past? Wishful thinking?

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    I read over in another forum that it is next to impossible to get back your deposit off EI. They credit your balance to your account after the 14 month mark and only then can it be issued in the form of a cheque. It seems a bit of a hassle.

BTW does anyone know (before I call Bord Gais and wait in strict rotation) if the customer deposit is required for a new customer if I have been a customer in the past? Wishful thinking?
    Asfaik if you set up a direct debit there is no need for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im renting and had previously been with bord gas years ago an paid all my bills on time. When I moved into my new place they wanted a 300 euro deposit straight up and im paying direct debit. I told them no way and the only other thing they would offer was some fixed monthly bill no matter how much gas I use, and then they refund you money at the end. No way i was going for that either

So now with Electric Ireland for gas and electric, direct debit no stupid deposit. I pay for the units I use. No stupid 2 different logons for gas and electric even though there with the same company.Bord gais have no concept of customer retention or service

Now i dont know which company is cheaper but I wont use Bord Gais because of that, I wont go with Airtricity because of there extremely pushy door to door sales people so I went with electric ireland as they havent managed to piss me off yet. Touch wood

I actually don't think companies realise just cause there the cheapest people still won't go with them because if dodgy sale techniques or poor Customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Airtricity were at my door again today, had them visit about 3 times in the last year.

Their hard sell is about their lower unit rate, but they don't tell you that their standing charge is higher.

I worked out I might save about €60 per year, not worth the hassle of moving for me. Plus I have heard horror stories about their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I used bonkers.ie to directly compare my bills which came up with flogas for gas and BG for electricity as the cheapest

Advertisement