Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any schools teaching the Early Mod History LC course?

• 28-02-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Would really appreciate it if anyone knew anything about this. I know that only a tiny portion of secondary schools offer this course (77 students out of 12,000 in 2011!!) but I'm having trouble finding out which school/s offer it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be v grateful. Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the SEC, they will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Thanks a million for the suggestion, I just did and they sent the list to me straight away. If anyone else is interested, here's the list of schools.

Adult Education, Presentation Court, Sexton St, Limerick
    Adult Education Centre, Co Meath Vec, Abbey Road, Navan, Co Meath
    Ashfield College, Main St, Templeogue, Dublin 6w
    Bruce College Cork, Audley House, St. Patrick's Hill,Cork
    Edmund Rice Youth & Com. Centre, Manor Street, Waterford
    L.S.U. Des Sacres Coeurs, Our Ladys Bower, Athlone, Co Westmeath
    Swinford Post Primary, Swinford, Co.Mayo
    College Of Further Education, Coláiste Dhúlaigh, Springdale Road, Raheny, Dublin 5
    Community School, Ballymakealy, Clane Road, Celbridge, Co Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Why is this subject basically non-existent,never knew it even existed till i read this thread! I'm doing History for the Leaving but being honest, I'd find this course much more interesting than the one we've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Depends what teachers are trained in Anonymou, and a lot of them choose the 'Later Modern' course because there are textbooks available, whereas there aren't for the Early Modern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anonymou wrote: »
    Why is this subject basically non-existent,never knew it even existed till i read this thread! I'm doing History for the Leaving but being honest, I'd find this course much more interesting than the one we've done.

It's a subject many adult and second chance learners opt for.
    The lack of textbooks hits it in mainstream schools, as the same issue does with some other subjects, but less people doing a subject means less competition in answers. Many History teachers would be unaware of the option, as they would have done the other course themselves at school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement