Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coco is sick...

• 28-02-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

My dog Coco is 9 and for a while now she has a lot of weight on her belly which we thought was fat. Put her on a diet of Burns High Oats and tried to walk her more but she seems to have given up on exercise.Yesterday after a walk she started breathing very strangely and I was up all night with her last night praying each breath wouldnt be her last:(. Took her to the vet this morning and he said that it wasnt fat and when I said shes been drinking a lot of water he took blood tests and said he'll be testing her for Cushings disease as well as cancer etc. Now I've been looking at the symptoms on the internet and shes seems to fall into the Cushings disease category, weight gain, peeing in the house even though shes house trained, hairloss, increased water and food consumption etc. Her breathing is very heavy now and I have to bring her back down at 5 this evening for results of test. Im really scared because I've never seen her like this. Im worried that its been left too long, has anyone had a dog with this before, I cant bear the thought of her not making it. Cushings disease would be the only positive result we could get looking at her symptoms...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's horrible news op.
    But until you have a definitive diagnosis, try to keep Google at arm's length. It's no harm to have a bit of a background knowledge so you can ask you vet the pertinent questions this evening, but until you know for sure what you're dealing with, try to limit over-analysing.
    Let is know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

DBB wrote: »
    That's horrible news op.
    But until you have a definitive diagnosis, try to keep Google at arm's length. It's no harm to have a bit of a background knowledge so you can ask you vet the pertinent questions this evening, but until you know for sure what you're dealing with, try to limit over-analysing.
    Let is know how you get on.

I know I'm my worst enemy when it comes to googling diagnoses. Will let ye know, fingers,toes everything crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Scary reading this OP I have just went through exactly almost to the t.Vet 1st tested for under active thyroid the result came back inconclusive one was positive other was negative as it was a hormone test vet advised us to put him on treatment and see how he goes.Sadly there was no change so he tested him for cushings disease he wanted to certain so he asked to have Mackey for the day to take bloods at different times tests came back negative.

I don't want to worry with rest of the story as every dog is different

but if it is cushings it is treatable

Edit I done the extra walking less feeding bought special diet food advised by a nutritionist

dave1982 wrote: »
    Scary reading this OP I have just went through exactly almost to the t.Vet 1st tested for under active thyroid the result came back inconclusive one was positive other was negative as it was a hormone test vet advised us to put him on treatment and see how he goes.Sadly there was no change so he tested him for cushings disease he wanted to certain so he asked to have Mackey for the day to take bloods at different times tests came back negative.

I don't want to worry with rest of the story as every dog is different

but if it is cushings it is treatable

Edit I done the extra walking less feeding bought special diet food advised by a nutritionist

I'd never heard of Cushings Disease until this morning, but its so common apparently. Her breathing is terrifying me. Its going to be the longest 3 hours till I get the results.

pookiesboo wrote: »

I'd never heard of Cushings Disease until this morning, but its so common apparently. Her breathing is terrifying me. Its going to be the longest 3 hours till I get the results. Let me know how you get on.

The breathing is laboured because the mass in her abdomen is putting pressure on her lungs. Is she eating? Keep the meals tiny so that her tummy isn't causing any more undue pressure.
    I've dealt with Cushing's a few times, usually resulting from use of steroids in the past for other medical conditions. It is treatable, I know one person who's dog lived for years post-diagnosis.
    The tests are done an hour or so apart from one another.
    However, you'll know more later. Getting a diagnosis at least helps you to galvanise yourself for what needs to happen next.

• Advertisement

The breathing is laboured because the mass in her abdomen is putting pressure on her lungs. Is she eating? Keep the meals tiny so that her tummy isn't causing any more undue pressure.
    I've dealt with Cushing's a few times, usually resulting from use of steroids in the past for other medical conditions. It is treatable, I know one person who's dog lived for years post-diagnosis.
    The tests are done an hour or so apart from one another.
    However, you'll know more later. Getting a diagnosis at least helps you to galvanise yourself for what needs to happen next.

Her appetite has gone down a lot in the last 18 hrs and she is passing water quite frequently. Its scary how quickly she has gone down. She had a few bits of chicken a couple of hours ago but shes not going near the water which is strange for her considering how much she drinks usually. I have her wrapped up in a blanket by the fire but shes not sleeping. This waiting lark sucks.

Could you call the vet and see could she be seen sooner? Maybe it's not an option, but if you can, do.

Could you call the vet and see could she be seen sooner? Maybe it's not an option, but if you can, do.

I was thinking the same, if the bloods were done at 11.30 am this morning would they be in by now though?

I was thinking the same, if the bloods were done at 11.30 am this morning would they be in by now though?

Just rang there and they said they'll ring me back

To test for cushing I think vet must take blood at different times for a concrete result, they're testing hormones so they can change during the day they could test now and it be negative but test in a hour it could be positive.My vet told me this.

• Advertisement

To test for cushing I think vet must take blood at different times for a concrete result, they're testing hormones so they can change during the day they could test now and it be negative but test in a hour it could be positive.My vet told me this.

Well the vet rang me back and she tested positive for Cushings disease. I brought her back down so they could give her a heart tablet because I was concerned about her breathing. He said that he reckons shes had it for at least 12 months and all her body muscles are collapsing so I wont know for a couple of weeks of treatment if shes responding. They have decided to keep her overnight to observe her. Shes like a child, dont know what we'll do if she doesnt get better...

Thank God Cushings is totally treatable, I'm delighted for you :)

I hope She'll pull through and be home soon

Thank God Cushings is totally treatable, I'm delighted for you :)

I hope She'll pull through and be home soon

I hope so! She really had me worried today the fact she went down so quickly. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be getting better, will keep ye posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I hope so! She really had me worried today the fact she went down so quickly. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be getting better, will keep ye posted!

I hope with all my heart, that your little girl gets better. The worrying and waiting is excruciating, but God willing, she is now on the road to recovery. Having one of my fur babies get sick, is one of my worst nightmares. Get well soon Coco...little angel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just having that diagnosis is such a big step, it means she will be getting the exact treatment she needs.

Very best wishes for a good recovery for her, you'd be surprised how quickly getting the treatment she needs will do her good :)

kinkygirl wrote: »
    I hope with all my heart, that your little girl gets better. The worrying and waiting is excruciating, but God willing, she is now on the road to recovery. Having one of my fur babies get sick, is one of my worst nightmares. Get well soon Coco...little angel.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Just having that diagnosis is such a big step, it means she will be getting the exact treatment she needs.

Very best wishes for a good recovery for her, you'd be surprised how quickly getting the treatment she needs will do her good :)

Thanks guys, hopefully tomorrow will bring better news xx

hope the night went well OP:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

OP, I really feel for you and hope everything is alright with Coco.

I understand completely what you said about the waiting because Tuesday/Wednesday were the worst two days of my life worrying about my Molly, who also had breathing problems. It got so bad that I was preparing myself for the worst :(

Thank god, she pulled through and is now sitting by me snoring her little head off as though nothing has happened, so I'm really hoping that you have a happy ending too.

Hugs :)

Unfortunately yesterday morning Coco didnt make it. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. I havent stopped crying in over 24 hrs, its just too painful. Thanks for those who asked about her.

Unfortunately yesterday morning Coco didnt make it. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. I havent stopped crying in over 24 hrs, its just too painful. Thanks for those who asked about her.

:mad: going mad for you, I know exactly how you feel I lost my fella on Wednesday, today my 1st day starting to come round mentally it is a horrible experience.My fella had exactly the same as coco symptom.I feel so sorry for you :(

• Advertisement

:mad: going mad for you, I know exactly how you feel I lost my fella on Wednesday, today my 1st day starting to come round mentally it is a horrible experience.

I always imagined it would be hard when she went but this is something else. I wouldnt wish feeling like this on anyone, sorry to hear about your little fella. If they only knew how much they meant to us, well I hope they did anyway.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I am so very sorry. I have been checking on here constantly for news of Coco. So many of us understand the pain you are in right now, God help you.

Please take care of yourselves, and know you did the right thing for your baby girl. RIP little one, rest with the angels.

kinkygirl wrote: »
    I am so very sorry. I have been checking on here constantly for news of Coco. So many of us understand the pain you are in right now, God help you.

Please take care of yourselves, and know you did the right thing for your baby girl. RIP little one, rest with the angels.

Thank you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

So sorry to hear of your sad news :(

I'm sure Coco knew how much you loved her so please don't worry yourself about that. Mind yourself and take comforted in the knowledge that she's running around at Rainbow Bridge with all the other angels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

im pretty sure people are on reading this thread thinking whats all the fuss its only a dog

but they dont understand we loose part of our family our best friends our little precious 4 legged buddies that have given us joy companionship and undying love for years

its hard for you now but it will get easier think of the good times and all your fond memories its clear from your posts you were a good loving owner and will be again in time

Oh no :-(
    I'm so, so sad to read this awful news pookiesboo. Whilst I felt her condition was very advanced from your posts, I didn't think for a moment you'd be saying goodbye quite so soon.
    I'm so sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Aw in so sorry to hear that your dog passed away. I was reading your posts and I was sure that the next one would be good news.
    They really are like children and its terribly hard to say goodbye.
    Please take a small bit of comfort knowing that everyone that has read this will be sending on love to you and coco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aww, I am so sorry for your loss :(. You did all you could for Coco, and I'm sure she knew that...

Night, night Coco. :(

Mollywolly wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of your sad news :(

I'm sure Coco knew how much you loved her so please don't worry yourself about that. Mind yourself and take comforted in the knowledge that she's running around at Rainbow Bridge with all the other angels.
    jimf wrote: »
    im pretty sure people are on reading this thread thinking whats all the fuss its only a dog

but they dont understand we loose part of our family our best friends our little precious 4 legged buddies that have given us joy companionship and undying love for years

its hard for you now but it will get easier think of the good times and all your fond memories its clear from your posts you were a good loving owner and will be again in time
    Oh no :-(
    I'm so, so sad to read this awful news pookiesboo. Whilst I felt her condition was very advanced from your posts, I didn't think for a moment you'd be saying goodbye quite so soon.
    I'm so sorry.
    Aw in so sorry to hear that your dog passed away. I was reading your posts and I was sure that the next one would be good news.
    They really are like children and its terribly hard to say goodbye.
    Please take a small bit of comfort knowing that everyone that has read this will be sending on love to you and coco
    Aww, I am so sorry for your loss :(. You did all you could for Coco, and I'm sure she knew that...

Night, night Coco. :(

Thanks for all these lovely messages, they're very comforting. For the past couple of days, ive been tending to her grave, its starting to look like Graceland :o
    Its still hard to believe that shes gone, the house is so quiet without her. Shes missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

did you just have the one dog if yes its so much harder

Advertisement