Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming out stories?

Options
  • 28-02-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

wanna share yours?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you advertising a blog?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

To parents or friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 purified

i was but removed it now so sorry :)

yeah to anyone... i think in ireland nobody really talks about it and its such a huge thing for people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

I came out of my bedroom, bathroom, house and car today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

purified wrote: »
    wanna share yours?

wanna share yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Mine sucks, I told my Mum I am gay, she said " I know, I figured it out ages ago... Your father also knows we were just waiting for you to man up and tell us yourself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

My friends were awesome, told me I love who I love whether it's a boy or a girl. They just want me to be happy which is why they're genuinely the best group of friends I could ask for. As for my parents...not quite there yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭checkcheek

Mine sucks, I told my Mum I am gay, she said " I know, I figured it out ages ago... Your father also knows we were just waiting for you to man up and tell us yourself"

haha thats nice

checkcheek wrote: »
    haha thats nice

Turned out she got suspicious and then found my twitter. They actually didn't care at all they just said thanks for telling us, we wish you told us earlier and we always love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

When I was 18 I was having a big DMC with mom about having a girlfriend in secondary school when I dropped the bomb shell, she obviously could tell I was really upset about something and looked rather angry when she asked....
    "do you have something to tell me?"

So fearfully I replied...
    "mom what if I brought home a boy instead?"

She looked away and put her head in her hands and said......

"Ohh thank jesus, I was full sure you were about to tell me you had gotten someone pregnant"

The greatest mom in Ireland, 3 years on and never looked back :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Billyum wrote: »
    When I was 18 I was having a big DMC with mom about having a girlfriend in secondary school when I dropped the bomb shell, she obviously could tell I was really upset about something and looked rather angry when she asked....

"Ohh thank jesus, I was full sure you were about to tell me you had gotten someone pregnant"

My mam thought I was going to tell her I was pregnant when I came out... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

Billyum wrote: »

LOL thats exactly what my mam said to me

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

That's what happened to me. My mother told me that she knew for a long time before I told her and my dad. Even though, my parents were cool about me liking fellas, I was still nervous as **** before I told them. I really had nothing to worry about. My family were all real cool about it too. When I told my friends, who are all lads, they didn't believe me and thought I was joking with them:confused: but after they realized I was serious, they were all sound. I have a good bunch of friends and a great family:) They really make me appreciate what I have in life.

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    That's what happened to me. My mother told me that she knew for a long time before I told her and my dad. Even though, my parents were cool about me liking fellas, I was still nervous as **** before I told them. I really had nothing to worry about. My family were all real cool about it too. When I told my friends, who are all lads, they didn't believe me and thought I was joking with them:confused: but after they realized I was serious, they were all sound. I have a good bunch of friends and a great family:) They really make me appreciate what I have in life.

Awww thats awesome!!!

A lot of my friends had suspicions lol. I did a huge grand coming out (I dunno I was very self destructive at that point so I thought it would help me) and 90% of them were not surprised. I lost some "friends" after I came out but I guess coming out you learn who your true friends are.

I got told several times that "Yes we now have a cool gay friend" which amuses me somewhat.

If I still lived in the styx where I was born (not Carlisle but a village in D&G) then I probably wouldn't have done a grand coming out, I think they believe the world is flat or something out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Ugh, mine still makes me a little unhappy - about this time a year ago, home from university abroad for Easter Vacation, blurted it out to my parents at the kitchen table almost as soon as I got in the door. My mother nearly choked on her cup of coffee! My Dad laughed a little, and said 'Well let's not talk about that again'... and we pretty much haven't since. I don't know that it's really ever going to be something they're comfortable with, but honestly, I think it's the best I could hope for from them.

Friends and my brother were all great about it, all fairly shocked though - bizarrely, a lot of friends took the opportunity to ask about the mechanics of it all! And I have come to recognise a lot of these: 20 things lesbians are tired of hearing

Ugh, mine still makes me a little unhappy - about this time a year ago, home from university abroad for Easter Vacation, blurted it out to my parents at the kitchen table almost as soon as I got in the door. My mother nearly choked on her cup of coffee! My Dad laughed a little, and said 'Well let's not talk about that again'... and we pretty much haven't since. I don't know that it's really ever going to be something they're comfortable with, but honestly, I think it's the best I could hope for from them.

Friends and my brother were all great about it, all fairly shocked though - bizarrely, a lot of friends took the opportunity to ask about the mechanics of it all! And I have come to recognise a lot of these: 20 things lesbians are tired of hearing

I am sorry yours wasn't as happy as mine was. (I guess I am lucky to have parents like mine). I always feel sorry for Lesbians they seem to get asked awkward questions from guys about mechanics.

Your parents will probably come around in time. My (on off bf) from America comes form South Carolina in the Bible Belt and his parents weren't so keen on it at first, however now they have warmed to it, they want to know about his boyfriends, stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ifeelgood

I came out to my parents in 2009. At this time i had no experience with girls, so it was kind of pushed under the carpet.

During the period of 2009- 2013 i had experimented with both guys and girls, just to clarify to myself that i was in fact gay. none of my friends know i'm gay.

Today my mum came to me and said you know i love so much and it's ok if you are gay your still my little chancer. she said I know it will be harder for you but i don't care if you are gay.

Then the qustions started to come, I was completely awkward.She asked have I ever had a gf i said no.(i could tell she was prob like in her head then how do you know you are gay). But the matter of fact I was not going to say i slept with a girl.

Then she said will not ask me anymore questions as she doesn't want to make me uncomfortable and on edge.

what kind of questions should i be prepared for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CheekyChappy

Well mine was a little boring. One or two of my friends knew, I had told them. Then I was talking to a guy online (the guy that I ended up going out with for a year and a half and the twat cheated on me) and we wanted to start dating and because I still lived at home I couldn't be like secretive so after a month or so, before the mother went to bed she knew something was up and asked me was I ok and I said yes but she still knew something wasn't right. I had wanted to tell her all day but I was terrified. Then I said to her I want to tell ya something but I'm afraid and then she was like that I can tell her anything and it won't matter.

So after about a half an hour of almost saying it I finally did, I turned around and said "What if I said I was gay?" and she told me it was fine and that she didn't mind at all as long as I was happy. Its just me and her, my dad died a few years ago, I don't think he would have been as ok with it but he probably would have got used to it after a while.

That's my story anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Well this is my story from the time it was all happening - seems like a lifetime ago at this stage! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74758824

Advertisement