Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R1200GS , R1200R or Varadaro?

• 28-02-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Having serious thoughts about getting back on two wheels, my last bikes were a Gixer11 and a BMW 1200C

Mostly commuting from Greystones to city centre with the occasional gravelly track om my wat to fishing spots and the usual gratuitous "Hey I'm living in Co. Wicklow" 50km detour via the gap on the way to Tesco!

Older posters may remember that my pelvis is bolted together so arse up head down is out as a riding style so I am thinking sit up and beg but not swinging from ape hangers. I like the torque of litre bikes and am ancient enough to get a reasonable quote on them.

At the moment I am looking at a slightly tatty 2004 BMW R1200GS, an imaculate 2001 R1100R, 2006 Varadero, the selection is mostly based on what is out there at the moment in the 5k bracket.

At the moment my heart says buy the BMW at lunchtime!

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not up on prices at the moment, but this looks good:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4646164
    OK, it's the 1150, but it has a shítload of extras. The zumo gps alone is about 500 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First off, an R1100R is not a 'sit-up' machine - are you sure that's the model you meant ? Not, say, an R1100RT ? If it is an R, that is a 'sport bike', so no comparison imho.

I'd be bothered about a 'tatty' R. When they break, the also break your wallet. The Honda otoh, wouldn't break in the first place. The Varadero is a big beast though, and not light on juice - worse than a car in fact. I would suspect mid 30's mpg only............ That's one thing the BMW is good at, funnily enough - light on juice.

Without bursting your bubble, and I know you like litre-bikes, but going down just one notch is no Bad Thing. I'm thinking a V-Strom 650 would be a good bet, and much cheaper - so you could buy much newer, too. E.g. this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4432650

In the 1000cc class, you'd have this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4524242

Either of the SV's have a good reliabilty record.

And, you may not think it, but a BMW RT will do damn near most of anything a GS would - and they're cheaper to buy, and better in crap weather (fairing for commuting) as well. I know a guy who had his heart set on a GS before, and ended up trying an RT and preferred it in the end.

Me, I had an R12GS when they came out and I went back to an RT as soon as possible after.

Things to look for on R's: if equipped with servo-brakes, bank on them giving trouble eventually. Clutches can go, and big €€ to fix in a dealer. Driveshafts on GS can give trouble - wheres on the RT the same shaft doesn't - I suspect this is because the GS is higher, and the shalloer angle the shaft is operating on the RT gives is an easier time.

All just my 0.02, that's all.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What about an Yammy FJR 1300, or a nice Honda VRF 800/1200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

This is the 1100R that I was thinking of:

R1100R%20001.jpg

I have lost some rotation in my hip due to metalwork so the VFR more sporty type is out, I was thinking about a Blackbird but I was sore withing about 20 seconds of sitting on - wasn't happy.

I haven't seen any RT's around in my price range but would be more than happy to consider one.

Hadn't thought about the V-Strom - good call

The 1150 looks good, lots of extra bits that I may never need but want can turn into need really quick when it comes to bike bits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

V/Strom 1000 is trouble free riding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

V/Strom 1000 is trouble free riding

Agreed, and im sorry I let mine go. But the 650 is supposed to be every bit as good and lighter and more economical.

fenris wrote: »
    This is the 1100R that I was thinking of:

R1100R%20001.jpg

..ah, sorry, my bad - I was mixing up models - that R is fine. What I mistakenly understood was R1100S :o

I still think the RT's - either 1100 or 1150 are good value atm. If you weren't bothered about age, you can go back a bit and still get a good one - in many respects the R1100's are better than the R1150's. 5-speed instead of 6. Conventional brakes instead of electric power assisted. I forget what year they changed to CANBUS wiring as well. And a damn sight cheaper.

Mind you, they're all big bikes, size & weight wise. When they're good - they're fantastic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

In my mind I am narrowing things down to 1200GS, V/Strom 1000 or that 1100R.

I am going to pop into to bike show to get my gear (old stuff was cut off) and see if there are better deals on the bikes, if not then I will give the GS or R a serious look.

The R just feels low compared to the GS, but I think that it can be raised easily to give me the angles that I need to be comfortable.

That being said going to a show with a few bob available and shiny bike syndrome could be dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

In my mind I am narrowing things down to 1200GS, V/Strom 1000 or that 1100R.

I am going to pop into to bike show to get my gear (old stuff was cut off) and see if there are better deals on the bikes, if not then I will give the GS or R a serious look.

The R just feels low compared to the GS, but I think that it can be raised easily to give me the angles that I need to be comfortable.

That being said going to a show with a few bob available and shiny bike syndrome could be dangerous!
    I am a little biased, and will always recommend the GS. I have had my latest one almost 3 years now and not had any trouble aside form a dead battery. Really nice ride as well.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

Have you considered the R1200RT? Great machine, comfort is paramount. Weight may be an issue though?

• Advertisement

R1200RT wrote: »
    Weight may be an issue though?

Are you saying I'm fat !:p

Decision made and the deed is done!

2004 R1200GS 40k KM

243406.jpg

edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Are you saying I'm fat !:p

Decision made and the deed is done!

2004 R1200GS

Nice bike, well wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Was going to ring about that bike in the morning! Ah well, guess I should have done it sooner! Best of luck with it.

...I had a visitor around today, to show me his new toy - one I've never actually looked at, let alone ridden.

I have to say, I was very, very impressed. Narrow, light, v. comfy- and the seat was low too - I could get both feet flat on the ground - I swear it was lower than my SO's SV650.....

He does big miles and has given up on BeeEmms - after a GS' and K1200GT, and near fiscal-cliff amount of repair bills over the years, he won't buy anything other than Japanese any more.

After a brief ride on this CB today, I can see why.......

Makes my Harley feel like a locomotive. I wouldn't change it for the CB, but I'd be happy to park one beside it......

Ode To The Motorist

Hope to be able to collect it on Thursday or early next week, there are a few bit to be tidied up first and they wont be done until the end of the week. Getting my eyeballs fried on Friday so I won't be in a position to ride over the weekend anyway but am seriously tempted to postpone the eye surgery just so I can get out and play at the weekend!

Now I just have to clear enough space in the garage and sort out a ground anchor.

Advertisement