Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pistol import from the US

Options
  • 28-02-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello everybody.
    I'm wondering if you can help me.
    I bought a few pistols while working in the states a couple of years ago and I'm wondering about what are the chances of me being able to import them back to ireland.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

apacheah64 wrote: »
    Hello everybody.
    I'm wondering if you can help me.
    I bought a few pistols while working in the states a couple of years ago and I'm wondering about what are the chances of me being able to import them back to ireland.
    Thanks a lot.

As long as they are .22lr and the magazines are restricted to 5 rounds its possible.

If they are center fire, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

sorry to butt in, but whats the story with a tazer gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 apacheah64

Hello bravestar, thanks for your reply.
    I have heard that only .22lr are allowed but is'nt there a 'restricted firearm' application process. I suppose thats just a veneer that the authorities project in order to make it seem like they would entertain your request.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

flutered wrote: »

No hope.
    apacheah64 wrote: »
    Hello bravestar, thanks for your reply.
    I have heard that only .22lr are allowed but is'nt there a 'restricted firearm' application process. I suppose thats just a veneer that the authorities project in order to make it seem like they would entertain your request.
    Thanks.

No restricted licences being issued for pistols. It's a 5 shot, .22lr or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 apacheah64

Hello blay, thanks for the information.
    Grand, thanks.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »

As Blay already said, no. 100% illegal to possess and no possible form of licence exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Why would a civilian want a TASER?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

tac foley wrote: »
    Why would a civilian want a TASER?

tac

Non lethal self defense I would assume.

harmoniums wrote: »

Non lethal self defense I would assume.

...less lethal... Non lethal would imply that it cannot be lethal

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

bravestar wrote: »

As Blay already said, no. 100% illegal to possess and no possible form of licence exists.

While I don't know of a way of getting a license for one, there is a fee for such a license. Have a look at the last item in the table here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/act/pub/0011/sec0068.html#sec68

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

...less lethal... Non lethal would imply that it cannot be lethal

By that definition wouldn't every tangible item be 'less lethal'? If you really wanted to you could kill me with a cell phone or a pencil or a pair of socks.

IRLConor wrote: »
    While I don't know of a way of getting a license for one, there is a fee for such a license. Have a look at the last item in the table here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/act/pub/0011/sec0068.html#sec68

I guess there is a fee, but no process that I am aware of. Im no legal expert, Im only required to have a working knowledge :D
    UCDVet wrote: »
    By that definition wouldn't every tangible item be 'less lethal'? If you really wanted to you could kill me with a cell phone or a pencil or a pair of socks.

Well Jason Bourne probably could alright, but a cell phone and socks are not purpose built weapons, they are makeshift weapons. A Taser, belongs to a set of tools called less lethal weapons. That would also include OC and CS spray/gas, batons, bean bag rounds, ferret rounds etc etc. I didn't make up the term less lethal, Im just letting the poster know what it is actually called.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I guess there is a fee, but no process that I am aware of. Im no legal expert, Im only required to have a working knowledge :D

Well Jason Bourne probably could alright, but a cell phone and socks are not purpose built weapons, they are makeshift weapons. A Taser, belongs to a set of tools called less lethal weapons. That would also include OC and CS spray/gas, batons, bean bag rounds, ferret rounds etc etc. I didn't make up the term less lethal, Im just letting the poster know what it is actually called.

Just on a point .The OC/CS gas could only become more or less leathl would be if you were locked in a sealed room and all the air was replaced with CS gas or you were drowned in a very souped up Tobasco sauce vat.
    There are people out there that cook extreme chilli con carne with pepper spray.:eek:

Bean bags,Ferret rounds,baton,plastic rounds etc certainly should be classed a leathl ammo as they all have kills associated with them thru misuse by LE agencies worldwide.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just on a point .The OC/CS gas could only become more or less leathl would be if you were locked in a sealed room and all the air was replaced with CS gas or you were drowned in a very souped up Tobasco sauce vat.
    There are people out there that cook extreme chilli con carne with pepper spray.:eek:

Bean bags,Ferret rounds,baton,plastic rounds etc certainly should be classed a leathl ammo as they all have kills associated with them thru misuse by LE agencies worldwide.

OC/CS has been involved in the death of people and seen as a contributing factor although not the primary cause.

To says deaths have been caused by misuse of the other weapons seems like a cheap shot to be honest. Death has also been caused by there legitimate use by LE agencys as well. It was not the *Insert Police name here* fault someone decided to do whatever they did to cause the situation. However, many more people have been subdued by the use of these less lethal options and there use meant that lethal force was not required.

Anyway, I think were straying just a tad from the OP's question.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

From Wiki" "Taser devices are not considered firearms by the United States government. They can be legally carried (concealed or open) without a permit in 43 states. They are prohibited for citizen use in the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island, as well as certain cities and counties. Their use in Connecticut, Illinois, and Wisconsin is legal with restrictions."

It says they are illegal or prohibited in Ireland and UK, and restricted in various forms in other countries. They turn up now and again in assault or murder cases in the US, in some highly visible cases having been used as a means to incapacitate prior to the primary crime.

In the US the law enforcement versions have a range of 35 feet, civilian 15 feet, and if you've seen them demonstrated, they incapacitate only as long as the juice is flowing, after which the subject immediately regains control of their body. Also pretty pricey. I won't be looking for one any time soon.

Oh yes, back to the topic. Ok if I were you based upon everything I've seen, I would sell the pistols in the US and make some money (which you can if they are semi -auto 9mm, 40s or 45s, and even revolvers are in high demand right now), and buy a nice .22 pistol and/or rifle(s) in ROI.

Advertisement