Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Check - lets taxi users check their driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Already a topic discussed

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891824

MODS: feel free to close this or combine to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mtjm wrote: »

Preferably the second option above, a thread in this forum should never be closed in preference to one in After Hours which is a graveyard for oddball threads and insomniac posters.

Feedback from Android users say that the app only works in Wi-Fi mode, it won't use a 3G connection so at the moment it looks like it's pretty useless for people on the move.

Edit: just tested it on my Android phone, it won't work with a 3G connection, will only use Wi-Fi! Clearly the developers didn't bother setting foot outdoors to test it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just need it to cover bus and taxi drivers now...

There is no reason to close or merge this with an AH thread, different fora different pov and attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

About time this was rolled out, now at least taxi users can find out if the taxi driver is legitimate, maybe the same type of data should be made available for their cars as some of them are just sh1theaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

foggy_lad wrote: »
    About time this was rolled out, now at least taxi users can find out if the taxi driver is legitimate, maybe the same type of data should be made available for their cars as some of them are just sh1theaps.
    The vehicle's licence, reg, make/model, colour and licence expiry date are all shown also

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Feedback from Android users say that the app only works in Wi-Fi mode, it won't use a 3G connection so at the moment it looks like it's pretty useless for people on the move.

Edit: just tested it on my Android phone, it won't work with a 3G connection, will only use Wi-Fi! Clearly the developers didn't bother setting foot outdoors to test it!

I just checked it on an old Android (HTC Desire) and the 3G connection does work so for what it's worth, it does not work on 3G on a Samsung S3 Mini running 4.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

What would the purpose of this app be? Check the details and compare it with what you see in the taxi?

Polar101 wrote: »
    What would the purpose of this app be? Check the details and compare it with what you see in the taxi?

Yes, and for personal security you can register the e-mail address of a friend and they will be informed that you have boarded that specific taxi if you click the appropriate option.

Actually you are required (I think it should be optional) to register a second e-mail address for that purpose, as well as your own e-mail address which they will use if they need to communicate with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭rameire

Preferably the second option above, a thread in this forum should never be closed in preference to one in After Hours which is a graveyard for oddball threads and insomniac posters.

I tested it on an Android Galaxy S3, at 5pm today and it worked on 3G.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Actually you are required (I think it should be optional) to register a second e-mail address for that purpose, as well as your own e-mail address which they will use if they need to communicate with you.

Yeah that's a bit silly having to nominate a 2nd email address. I just set it up with a different address I have.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yeah that's a bit silly having to nominate a 2nd email address. I just set it up with a different address I have.

I did the same but it should be an optional field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Who'd know you got that taxi if you went on the missing list then? Girls could stick in their mother's email address or some other relative...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This aps seems more appropriate for somewhere like Mexico city, is there really a need for it in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0228/breaking42.html

they claim to be the source of the official information but only have 70% of the drivers ?

howiya wrote: »
    Who'd know you got that taxi if you went on the missing list then? Girls could stick in their mother's email address or some other relative...

I and the other poster aren't asking for that feature to be removed, simply that the second e-mail address be optional rather than mandatory. I can see the use for it but I don't need it because if I went missing nobody would give a XXXX.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0228/breaking42.html

they claim to be the source of the official information but only have 70% of the drivers ?
    It means only 70% of drivers have registered their details of what car they are driving at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

mtjm wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

howiya wrote: »

As said it should be optional, it's a good security feature for people who want it but I don't want or need it. I could just as easily go on the missing list when I'm driving or walking.

Where To wrote: »
    It means only 70% of drivers have registered their details of what car they are driving at any given time.

My understanding was only 70% are registered so far. So if you go to get into a cab and it doesn't have the QR code on the windows go to a different cab that has the QR code, if your that worried about it.

As said it should be optional, it's a good security feature for people who want it but I don't want or need it. I could just as easily go on the missing list when I'm driving or walking.

My understanding was only 70% are registered so far. So if you go to get into a cab and it doesn't have the QR code on the windows go to a different cab that has the QR code, if your that worried about it.
    Not exactly, the car will have the QR code if it has been licenced as an SPSV. This is a new initiative to tie the car with the driver, so that when you scan the QR code, (or type in the reg number, plate number, or driver ID number), you should get all the licence details of car and driver. If these are incorrect, there is an option to report the taxi to the NTA. There is also the option to email yhe details of the taxi you are in to a friend or relative.

If you type in the reg or plate number and no information is registered, report the vehicle and don't get into it.

yeah i still don't quite get that

here's a podcast with alan kelly Government launches new taxi app >> http://media.todayfm.com/podcast/71817 @cooper_m

he explains how people who rent or have rented out cars will update their details in real time, still doesn't make sense that they have 70% of the info...

never used hailo or any of those apps, do they that info too, a pic of driver his details etc?

• Advertisement

yeah i still don't quite get that

here's a podcast with alan kelly Government launches new taxi app >> http://media.todayfm.com/podcast/71817 @cooper_m

he explains how people who rent or have rented out cars will update their details in real time, still doens't make sense that they have 70% of the info...

never used hailo or any of those apps, do they that info too, a pic of driver his details etc?
    They would have his photograph and car reg I think, but they are a private enterprise.

The NTA app covers all SPSVs, including limos and taxis.

They would have his photograph and car reg I think, but they are a private enterprise.

The NTA app covers all SPSVs, including limos and taxis.

yeah but thats my point the nta taxi authority is the source of all that info and so should have everyone registered with their details, i don't know how they don't.

yeah but that my point the nta taxi authority is the source of all that info and so should have everyone registered with their details, i don't know how they don't.
    Yeah the NTA have all the details of all the licenced vehicles, and details of all the licenced drivers, the purpose of this is to tie the information together, to ensure that a licenced vehicle is being operated by a licenced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

If you type in the reg or plate number and no information is registered, report the vehicle and don't get into it.
    ive registered before the 31st deadline and ive spoken to other drivers who have done the same and their details as mine aswell dont come up on the app .
    so what i can see here is that the NTA pushed this app out before they have it fully working .and now the pitchfork brigade are out scaremongering .

Yeah the NTA have all the details of all the licenced vehicles, and details of all the licenced drivers, the purpose of this is to tie the information together, to ensure that a licenced vehicle is being operated by a licenced driver.
    still don't know how they don't have the information tied together already

ive registered before the 31st deadline and ive spoken to other drivers who have done the same and their details as mine aswell dont come up on the app .
    so what i can see here is that the NTA pushed this app out before they have it fully working .and now the pitchfork brigade are out scaremongering .

The minister probably got itchy feet and couldn't wait to get his photo in the papers launching the app. The junior minister slot in Transport is a honey pot for gimmicky publicity stunts, Ivor Callely made it his speciality.

Wouldn't be the first time civil servants were railroaded into launching a service before it was ready because of an impatient minister.

still don't know how they don't have the information tied together already
    Well, drivers employed by a firm don't drive the same car all yhe time, drivers that rent taxis can be in different cars, drivers whose own cars are off the road drive a replacement. In short, the NTA haven't a ****ing clue who is driving what.

Now the onus is on the driver to provide those details, and the onus on the public to detect and report those that don't comply.

Well, drivers employed by a firm don't drive the same car all yhe time, drivers that rent taxis can be in different cars, drivers whose own cars are off the road drive a replacement. In short, the NTA haven't a ****ing clue who is driving what.

Now the onus is on the driver to provide those details, and the onus on the public to detect and report those that don't comply.

ok how does the driver provide those details to the nta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ok how does the driver provide those details to the nta?
    When a driver provides their details or applies to update details if they have to change car temporarily after breakdown etc how quickly are the Quango going to validate and update the news details???

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    When a driver provides their details or applies to update details if they have to change car temporarily after breakdown etc how quickly are the Quango going to validate and update the news details???

well listen to the jnr minister in the podcast link http://t.co/l4MFGBOYxN talking about how its "realtime", do the drivers/operators ring somebody up in the nta? or what, i mean if drivers are swapping cars nightly?

Advertisement