Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit

Options
  • 28-02-2013 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I've just found out that Electric Ireland don't return security deposits when the 14 month period is up, instead they credit them to your Electric Ireland account to be used against future bills.

It's now been 16 months that Electric Ireland have been holding my money interest free and not they want continue to keep it for another few months while I have to wait to get it credited against future bills.

Is there some reason EI can not refund MY money when it's actually due and not leave me months waiting for it to be credited to currently non-existing future bills.

By the way, no mention was made of this when I set up transfer to you over the phone 16 months ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello Womandriver,

What would be advised on the call is that the security deposit is refunded after a minimum of 14 months of bills paid on time, meaning it will be credited into the electricity account - but the customer can then request a cheque refund once the credit is on their account.

If you like, I can arrange to have the refund cheque issued to you. The details I would require by private message are: your Electric Ireland account number, an up-to-date meter reading, your name/address in full as they appear on the account, and either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Hello Womandriver,

What would be advised on the call is that the security deposit is refunded after a minimum of 14 months of bills paid on time, meaning it will be credited into the electricity account - but the customer can then request a cheque refund once the credit is on their account.

If you like, I can arrange to have the refund cheque issued to you. The details I would require by private message are: your Electric Ireland account number, an up-to-date meter reading, your name/address in full as they appear on the account, and either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una
    PM sent and I certainly was NOT advised that the customer can request their deposit in a cheque, quite the opposite in fact! 

I was told by 3 different people over yesterday and today (apparently each one more senior than the previous:rolleyes:) that a cheque was not possible and that is "the way it is".  Nice customer service there.  

Yesterday I was told it would be credited to my next bill and that you issue in March then today I was told that my new bill had in-fact coincidently (again,:rolleyes:) issued today and my deposit had been issued against it.  I had made it very clear yesterday that this was NOT what I wanted but hey, it's only my money, why would what I want matter to the almighty Electric Ireland. 

Unless Electric Ireland are paying 3% interest, I want my money back in full, not credited against future potential bills.

Hello again,

Apologies for any confusion. Timing can affect whether the refund is the full amount or less the difference of the next bill, but a security deposit can be refunded by cheque, in full or partially.

Private message responded to.

Regards,
    Una

Hello again,

Apologies for any confusion. Timing can affect whether the refund is the full amount or less the difference of the next bill, but a security deposit can be refunded by cheque, in full or partially.

Private message responded to.

Regards,
    Una
    Una,

Thank you very much for your help with this matter.

However I would like to express my disgust at the under-handed tactics of your EI colleagues in an attempt to with hold my deposit interest fee for a period in excess of the 14 month deposit term.

Firstly by telling me it wasn't possible to have my deposit returned by any means other than by crediting my EI account, then when I complained about this, asking me if I "wanted help or an argument"??:confused:

Eh, NO, I simply want my money back.

Then issuing my bill early (was told on Wed bill would issue in March, overnight the bill coincidently issued in Feb) so that part of my deposit would be credited against it, against my wishes.  

People have better things to be doing with their €300 these days, than leaving it to Electric Ireland interest free for any longer than necessary.  Ye have already had my deposit for 16 months and this is the nonsense I have to endure to get it back.

What a shower!

Thanking you again Una.

Hi again Womandriver,

Sorry to read you are unhappy with your customer experience. Just some general info: the bill generated immediately because of your submission of an up-to-date meter reading. This is standard procedure in order to keep the account up to date and prevent the balance from exceeding usage (which could sometimes happen if the full €300 is refunded, due to usage in the interim).

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi again Womandriver,

Sorry to read you are unhappy with your customer experience. Just some general info: the bill generated immediately because of your submission of an up-to-date meter reading. This is standard procedure in order to keep the account up to date and prevent the balance from exceeding usage (which could sometimes happen if the full €300 is refunded, due to usage in the interim).

Regards,
    Una

I didn't submit the up to date meter reading though, that came from ye. So that doesn't explain the early issuing of the bill. I only know what the meter reading is because I requested the details I would need to change to a different supplier. Ye had already read the meter and issued the bill by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks OP for posting this.  I'm shopping for a provider and  now know not to sign up with EI.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Thanks OP for posting this.  I'm shopping for a provider and  now know not to sign up with EI.
    Rasmus, I'd recommend avoiding this crowd at all costs.

I can't say if the other providers are any better but having to resort to a public internet forum to get your own money back is a joke but I was left with no option when this is what you're faced with when you phone them.

And as for the "manager" who phoned me yesterday - well business must be very good for EI if that's the way he's dealing with customers. According to him, the only way I was getting a cheque was if I transferred my account to another supplier.  He had the cheek to ask me did I "want help or an argument" because I said I wanted my deposit back up front.

So yeah Rasmus, avoid would be my recommendation.

Hi Womandriver,

Sorry again to read of your customer dissatisfaction. Your points have been noted and are being passed on to the relevant department.

Sending you a private message now.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Womandriver,

Sorry again to read of your customer dissatisfaction. Your points have been noted and are being passed on to the relevant department.

Sending you a private message now.

Regards,
    Una
    No thanks Una, I don't want to be contacted by phone again (as per you offer in PM) or spoken to again in the manner in which I was yesterday.  

The manger who phoned me yesterday was unhelpful, rude and dismissive and with the attitude that EI could do what they like with my money and I could put up and shut up.  Which I'm sure is valuable information to all potential future EI customers out there.  People should be aware in advance that this is the difficulty they will encounter when trying to get their security deposit back after 14 months.   And I have no desire to waste any more of my time on the phone to Electric Ireland.

I just want my money.

Regards.

• Advertisement

Hi Womandriver,

Once again, very sorry to read of your disappointment with this customer experience. If there is anything else I can assist you with, do let me know. I am here until 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Womandriver,

Once again, very sorry to read of your disappointment with this customer experience. If there is anything else I can assist you with, do let me know. I am here until 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una, you have been very helpful.

Advertisement