Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Monitor adice .....

Options
  • 28-02-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for advice in buying a good quality monitor

I require it for basic surfing, but more importantly, I need it for photo editing

With the huge amount of monitors available, I am blinded by choice and dont know which to go for. Nor do I know where is the best place to buy

Ideally, I think I want a 23" or slightly bigger manitor, max to spend ... about €200, but I am not sure if thats enough or not

Hopefully someone can help and point me in the right direction

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Posted this in another thread yesterday.

24" BENQ, 1920x1080 (16:9), HDMI, DV-I, VGA, 147 yoyos @ Elara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This is a great 24" IPS monitor but, about 60€ over your budget. It's worth the extra money if you can manage it.

Edit: What GPU do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Carvair

This is a great 24" IPS monitor but, about 60€ over your budget. It's worth the extra money if you can manage it.

Edit: What GPU do you have?

The GPU is a ...
    1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

When you say its a great 24" IPS monitor, do you mean the BENQ model mentioned by Torqay.?

Carvair wrote: »
    do you mean the BENQ model mentioned by Torqay.?

No, the BENQ doesn't have an IPS display.

Here is a 23" AOC IPS monitor for 165 yoyos @ Elara. Ultra thin and a nice brushed aluminum finish too. Review here.

51420727.jpg

This AOC IPS monitor "looks" nice, but is it the best I can get for photo-editing without spending a fortune..?

Thanks

• Advertisement

This AOC IPS monitor "looks" nice, but is it the best I can get for photo-editing without spending a fortune..?

Thanks

I'd say it's about as good as gets if you're on a limited budget. 2 more reviews here and here. Dabs offers this monitor for 155 yoyos (compare the shipping costs). It's doesn't have a DV-I connection and doesn't pivot, but that'd be asking a little bit too much. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have this one and use it for photo editing (Lightroom) and a bit of graphic design. Can't fault it.

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_04rand/20097160/dell_ultrasharp_u2312hm__23/details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have this one and use it for photo editing (Lightroom) and a bit of graphic design. Can't fault it.

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_04rand/20097160/dell_ultrasharp_u2312hm__23/details.aspx

These dells come highly recommend from the guys on the Building and Upgrading forum who went for them. Shadowhearth got two (i think) as part of a surround set up so if you have any questions about it he might be able to help.

Theres a thread on it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83250480

Its available on amazon for around €200 delivered.

Another option if that is out of budget, lg have a 23 inch IPS panel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS234V-PN-AEK-inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B008F7GW2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362162043&sr=1-1

Looking at around €150, havent seen to many reviews yet though, but the price does fluctuate a bit (down to £109 at one stage).

I was going to go with one of those LG IPS screens, but decided to go with Dell in the end. Can't remember why... I'm sorry I didn't wait to get the 24" Dell now, just for the extra 120 pixels in height

Folks, thanks for the advice, tips and links .. its a minefield out there and all the help is really appreciated

In relation to the Dell U2412M Monitor, which looks excellent

Dell are selling it for €417, yet Komplett have it for €285 .. Am I missing something here, looks like the same specs on both, but tahts a huge difference in pric ?

• Advertisement

Just as I was about to order the Dell U2412M monitor, I receive a email from Dell with a deal on their S2440L monitor

Anyone know anything about the S2440L monitor

Is there a big difference between the U2412M and the S2440L

Is there a big difference between the U2412M and the S2440L

No IPS panel and 16:9... that enough difference for you? ;)

16:10 will be like gold dust soon, grab one while you can.

Torqay wrote: »
    No IPS panel and 16:9... that enough difference for you? ;)

16:10 will be like gold dust soon, grab one while you can.

Torqay, many thanks for your help and advice, just to clarify .. which one do you say I should grab ASAP the U2412M or the S2440L

Torqay, many thanks for your help and advice, just to clarify .. which one do you say I should grab ASAP the U2412M or the S2440L

The U is 120 pixels taller and will have more accurate colour. The other one looks pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks
    A lot of it is going to do with You, and correctly calibrating between the software and hardware to make sure your images look color-correct when you publish them. Imagine working on a screen with a yellow tint and then not correcting for that.

I don't know the particulars of doing so but ask in Photography

The U is 120 pixels taller and will have more accurate colour. The other one looks pretty.

Many thanks for sorting this out, I really appreciate the trouble you guys have gone to

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

What did you go for in the end Carvair? Im in a similar situation trying to select a decent monitor for photo editing!

Advertisement