Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Cinema Luxury Screen

Options
  • 28-02-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I've just searched through a half dozen previous Eye Cinema threads and this doesn't seem to have come up before so I figured I'd start a new one.

Is the Luxury Screen in the Eye Cinema really anything special? The prices are almost double those for the regular screens for the mid-week screenings I've just been looking at. What's different? Comfort of seats? Better quality equipment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nicer and more spacious seats but nothing to remotely justify the price. Also has it's own bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The comfort is what does it for me (ie legroom). It's expensive but worth it as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I went there once. Very nice but overpriced imo. The seats are comfy and it's a nice theatre, but as I said, it's just too expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Screen is small as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No way is it worth it imo. Been there once (Skyfall), never again. Crazy money for some extra leg room and leather seats. The screen is quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It's very nice and comfortable compared to what cinemas used to be like before they were all upgraded or the Eye came along (not much leg room, no cup holders etc.)
    But now I think they're nothing special; seats are a bit more luxurious and arm rests can be raised up for couples but I find most screens have very good seating & space now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I have been there twice, both times mr. Dutchess and I had it booked out (it holds 40 so basically we rounded up 38 mates). The films were the Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. We did it because we wanted to see those films as soon as they came out but without having to queue up and be wedged into screen 1 and the risk of not sitting together or sitting all the way at the front messing up our necks for 3 hours. It is very comfy and there are not real crappy seats so to speak. I would do it again (sans the organising it with people) for big and long films I'm really excited about but not for your average action flick or romcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i love the luxury cinema - leather couch like seats that one or two people can sit in depending on who you are with - loads of leg/arm room - very comfy. worth it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you want to try it out they do "Treat of the Week" screenings in the luxury screen every Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11.20am for €4.80.

This week's film is "Broken City".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Check out the cinemas online in oz- you order proper food as well as the usual and serve it to you when you want- say start of film or 20 mins in etc! Real treat when your feeling greedy and lazy! Pity it's not here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

ArtyC wrote: »
    Check out the cinemas online in oz- you order proper food as well as the usual and serve it to you when you want- say start of film or 20 mins in etc! Real treat when your feeling greedy and lazy! Pity it's not here

To me that sounds awful. There's enough interruptions during some films here without having food delivery guys coming in delivering food. Its not like you're in the film for half a day. Why can't you just bring in whatever food you want with you in the first place?!?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

ONly tims I've been in that screen have been Treat of the Week or Luxury for Less screenings.
    & yes it is a lot more comfortable, but I don't think I'd pay the extra price to go to see a film in there.
    But since they seem to have Luxury For Less on most of the time, on the first 2 screenings of the day I don't think that's going to be an issue. Only time it's likely to be one is at a time when the only opportunity to see a film I'd otherwise miss came up and that woould have its own criteria for decision making.

So yeah it is nice to see films in there, & the chairs are in 2s so aren't connected to the row. I've hated having my chair rocked by somebody banging into the back of my chair or elsewhere in the row and feeling the waves from the bang.
    I tend to sit in the back row to avoid that & still had it happenning throughout the last film I saw at the Eye, not sure how they managed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Been in once, for a film that was only showin in the lux-screen.

For a while it looked as though I was going to have the entire cinema to myself, but a couple came in just before the film started.

Not worth it, IMHO - I've never liked slidey leather seats anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

The #1 reason to watch a film in the Luxury screen is the audience....

The folks that pay extra tend to be older, with few or no kids, teens or poor students.

This means that the noise level tends to be much lower and fewer people moving around.

The experience for some types of films much more enjoyable.

....a bit elitist / snobby I know...But....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

s_carnage wrote: »
    To me that sounds awful. There's enough interruptions during some films here without having food delivery guys coming in delivering food. Its not like you're in the film for half a day. Why can't you just bring in whatever food you want with you in the first place?!?! :confused:

Yeah, there's a bunch of them where I'm living in America. The novelty wears off quick. It's not as disrupting as you'd think and they stop service at some point of the movie. The theatre is tiered pretty steep so they aren't blocking the sceen in front of you but you do catch them out of the corner of your eye and it can be distracting.

Also your answer is money. They have their own standards for not allowing you to bring food in, you don't have to buy their food but can't bring in your own. Dems the rules..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

It's nice but I don't see what all the fuss is. The screen is tiny and the only positive thing is that you can lift up the middle armrest and make it into a couch. Other than that it's the same as every other screen (but with a leather seat).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thanks to all who replied. We went to see Stoker on the Luxury Screen last night. It was nice to have the comfortable seats but in the future I think I'd only pay the premium in order to avoid chattering teens (as discussed above) if I was going to a movie that might attract that type of audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was in there once, I think I saw the simpsons movie. I think it's worth going at least once in your life but it's nothing all that amazing. It reminds me more of some rich persons home cinema room. the seats are better and you even get a little table from what I remember.

The screen itself isn't all that impressive, it's kind of small and disappointing which is what gives it the home cinema set up. It's still bigger than most home cinema set ups but nothing spectacular once your sitting some distance away from it.

The group booking thing sounds good, do you get any discounts for booking it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Went to see Stoker at the weekend

I actually really like the luxury screen, I've never had a bad experience in there. it's definitely good if it's a long film, saw the Dark knight rises and the hobbit there too. ;)

Advertisement