Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is carers allowance taxable??

Options
  • 28-02-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been receiving the carers allowance for the past 4 years and I'm wondering is it now taxable!!! Website says it is!! But when I rang up they said no it is not??? Anyone any ideas??
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Carers allowence never taxed on its own but it is taxed when combined with work and it is also means tested.. if your partner is working and you are combined for tax then its taken into account. The only way i have ever lost some is if i got a job.

Combined you are allowed to earn 666 rouughly so lets assume for the benefit of the example you are combined earning 2k a week.This includes your carers allowence and work then you will pay your normal tax social welfare will means test you over 666 and deduct so much every time your over.

The good news is if you are carering for your child you can claim a disability allowence credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kilimanjaro

Hi there just want to know roughly how long it takes once you have sent bank statements to Carers allowance section?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It took me 12 weeks. They send you out a letter half way through and back date it to the letter

Advertisement