Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreigners working in Ireland-what do you think about irish employers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

not yet wrote: »
    It's starting to sound like you have a problem with most Irish people employers or not.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

sorsha wrote: »
    Yes, maybe you are just right. Much to many- simple minded, dull and not very bright. I am simply too good for what I was doing and I was usually surrounded by people less intelligent and less open minded than myself.
    This is it, I was never were I belonged. :(

wtf? eh no, i'm not actually surprised, i think i've met you before. GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Since I'm qualified to answer the original question, here's an answer: I haven't had any problems once I got used to their management style (which was different to what I was used to).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

VEN wrote: »
    wtf? eh no, i'm not actually surprised, i think i've met you before. GTFO.

I reported this post.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Since I'm qualified to answer the original question, here's an answer: I haven't had any problems once I got used to their management style (which was different to what I was used to).

Management style -you mean, no management? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Polar101 wrote: »

I'm a foreign worker too and was in the same boat. Once I knew what was expected of me, I was good to go. Management styles were certainly different.

With what attitude? That is just true, this industry is filled with this kind of people unfortunately -talking more about employers, not coworkers..

no you're not, you're now trying to pull back on what you just said about the people you worked with, nothing about employers.

"surrounded by people less intelligent and less open minded than myself"

get off yer high horse! surrounded by employers? yea right.

VEN wrote: »
    no you're not, you're now trying to pull back on what you just said about the people you worked with, nothing about employers.

"surrounded by people less intelligent and less open minded than myself"

get off yer high horse! surrounded by employers? yea right.

-maybe because there was so many of them?
    If you write to someone you dont even know GTFO - you are just one of them- simple minded unfortunately.

-maybe because there was so many of them?
    If you write to someone you dont even know GTFO - you are just one of them- simple minded unfortunately.

you just referred to the people you worked with as "less intelligent and less open minded than myself" :pac: that's simple minded. you get what you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

What makes you think I was not loyal and I wouldn't be prepared to "give a little more"?

''I am simply too good for what I was doing and I was usually surrounded by people less intelligent and less open minded than myself''.

This statement says it all really, you are not a team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

I would be pretty sure that any of you who are posting negatively about the OP have never worked in the service industry. It is a job where staff are worked hard, paid poorly and treated badly. How many of you have ever worked in these kind of jobs, hotels in particular are renowned for how they treat their staff. How many of you would work for minimum wage or sometimes less, with split shifts, split days off, long hours and no over time?

I'm a Hotel Manager and do my best to look after my staff (although, I'm sure there are times when they think I'm a prick), but while I was training I witnessed all the negatives that the OP has mentioned. (especially the female managers, not so much the ones who had already made it, but the ones who were starting out, I always thought it was an insecurity or something, but some of them were just evil,)

Service is not a high skill job, and very few see it as a job for life, so from the employers point of view they don't see the need to pay higher when the employee will probably just move on, or burn out anyway. I was always told to remember I was just a number, and while I try not to treat my staff like that, when it comes to a staff member looking for a pay rise or leaving, I don't think I have ever come across a staff member who was not replaceable, that's not saying that pay rises are not possible, but you would need to catch me on a good day.

One thing to remember OP is this is AH, so you were never going to get the response you were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If you're looking for good employers go work for a farmer. Treat their workers well do farmers. I remember one time when I was 9 years old I filled two 20 kg sacks of spuds and got 40p for my efforts. And he threw in Country Spring lemonade too.

Call centres are good too. They really value their staff. So much so that if you're in the toilet taking a ****, they'll come knocking after exactly 7 minutes. Just to make sure you haven't fallen in of course. They just worry too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement