Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Huskies banned from Shankill dog park?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think small dogs are just as bad as big it's not any one breed its how the owners treat there dogs and spoil there dogs and think there dogs are entitled to have the run of the place when they don't and that ruins things for everyone else. Where I live you can't take your dog to so many places the signs are all new up and iv walked these places for years with my dogs and never came upon any situations with them. But these Registered breeds list has made it hard for people with breeds on the list for the wrong reasons. I know shih tzu's that break out from there gardens and bite kids and adults but they don't get mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Something that really annoyed me one day was walking through a park with my housemate and her akitas and the guide dog trainers were there, with two offlead guide dogs (possibly in training) who kept running at us and ignoring the trainers (who didn't look particularly bothered either). Of all people, guide dog trainers should surely know better!? It was very annoying and the dogs got really unsettled as a black lab had attacked one of them one day out of the blue. We ended up having to leave the park. Why do people who don't have restricted breeds (and some people who do have them obviously!) think it's all right for their dogs to run up to and annoy other dogs who are clearly on lead? It doesn't matter what breed you have, don't let it bother someone else or their dog

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boopadoopadoop

Speaking of irresponsible owners and their dogs, also the topic of a muzzled dog not able to defend itself...

A few months back, I was walking my GSD X GH to an empty enclosed field, where he can have a run about. I walked by a house with about 6 springer spaniels in the garden, all going mental, trying to get out to attack me and my dog. I have encountered problems with this particular house before and usual cross to the other side of the road but on this particular day, there were roadworks which meant I had no choice but to walk on the same side as the spaniels.

These owners have had many complaints, the gards have been involved numerous times..yet they decide it is perfectly okay to leave their gate open with their extremely aggressive and anti-social pack roaming about the garden!

Needless to say, they all ran out and attacked my dog. He could not defend himself as I keep a muzzle on him for our field walk (incase he took off after an unsuspecting rabbit or even pheasant.I don't want him to catch/kill the animal). Luckily I had one of those plastic ball throwers with me and was able to defend myself and get the pack to retreat. Also a very helpful man, working on resurfacing the road ran over and helped me. My poor Sighthound's beautiful face was cut up, he very nearly lost an eye too. He was also covered in bite marks, mostly on his legs, chest and neck area.

When i confronted the owner about her dogs she casually told me she would pay the vet bills. I threatened to have the dog warden involved,demanded she kept her gate closed and her animals under control. I made a statement to the gards but of course nothing was done about it. This absolute ***** of a woman still leaves her gate open and her dogs roaming free.

I dont believe in RB lists, think its a pile of rubbish. I would happily agree to individual dogs and their owners being penalised though, especially this stupid woman and her pack of dangerous spaniels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It should be individual penalizing!
    Any dog can be problematic not just the large breeds or the ones on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

I googled Shankhill dog park to figure out where it was as we wanted to bring our 6 year old Siberian this afternoon. This was the second link that came up and I was really surprised to see what everyone has said. I've had my Siberian for 6 years now and she is great with other dogs big and small. Altho, she has been well socialized and is very well looked after and it is really sad that so many people get huskies who don't truly understand the needs (i.e. tons of exercise) of the breed. I only moved to Ireland recently with my husky from the U.S. where she went to dog daycare every day during the week and frequent trips to dog parks. She was never discriminated against (unlike pit and pit mixes at dog parks in the states) so I was quite surprised that huskies might be banned in the Shankhill park. We live in Galway where there are 0 fenced dog parks (which we need because I don't take her off the lead unless the area is fully fenced bc she loves to RUN) so I was really looking forward to being in Dublin to take her to the park. Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents on the topic. As a side note - restricted breeds aren't allowed to be brought into Ireland from the U.S. and I had no problems with bringing my husky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

[QUOTE=cbd18;87215131 As a side note - restricted breeds aren't allowed to be brought into Ireland from the U.S. and I had no problems with bringing my husky.[/QUOTE]

dont know where you got that information from but its not correct

It says it on my documentation I needed to provide to bring my dog over. Plus, Aer Lingus is the only carrier Ireland allows to bring dogs into the country from the U.S. and they do not allow most dogs which are on the restricted breed list.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

there are r/b dogs getting brought in to ireland from the US regularly ,

OK - well, I didn't bring a restricted breed into the country so all I can say is that's what my official documentation stated so maybe they are lenient in practice.

As a side note we went to the Cabinteely dog park this afternoon with the husky and even though it was lashing rain there were a lot of very nice playful dogs with attentive owners there and it was great. Not sure what Shankhill is like, but Cabinteely did the job!

• Advertisement

cbd18 wrote: »
    As a side note we went to the Cabinteely dog park this afternoon with the husky and even though it was lashing rain there were a lot of very nice playful dogs with attentive owners there and it was great. Not sure what Shankhill is like, but Cabinteely did the job!

shankill dog park is bigger than cabinteely. and i see all types of dogs in this park, huskies, malamutes the whole shebang.

also dun laoghaire rathdown are responsible for both parks, so i doubt a certain breed would be banned from one park and not the other!

Good to know - next time we are in Dublin we will probably check out Shankhill. Just reading this thread put us off as I didn't want to go to a park that has a reputation for having aggressive dogs present no matter what breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It should be individual penalizing!
    Any dog can be problematic not just the large breeds or the ones on the list

In fairness, they dont even enforce licenses (a revenue generating means - not complaining). Who is going to enforce this? (something that costs money)

Advertisement