Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Scam: Your computer isnt working properly

Options
  • 28-02-2013 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Answered the phone to a women on the landline from a foreign woman claiming to be from windows 7 and that there was something wrong with my computer. She wanted me to go to the computer and give her access to it.
    they are just looking to steal your personal info from your computer and infect it with virus. Im sure people are smart enough to know this is obviously a trick, But just inform people who might not be great at computers and go along with the person on the phone because they are from the computer crowd

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Answered the phone to a women on the landline from a foreign woman claiming to be from windows 7 and that there was something wrong with my computer. She wanted me to go to the computer and give her access to it.
    they are just looking to steal your personal info from your computer and infect it with virus. Im sure people are smart enough to know this is obviously a trick, But just inform people like your parents who might not be great at computers and go along with the person on the phone because they are from the computer crowd

Unless shes a medium my parents are quite safe.
    As for myself I have a mac so it is always working just fine:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

As for myself I have a mac so it is always working underperforming just fine:p

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

That scam has been going for a while. They try to get you to give them access to your computer using logmein, and then try to sell you antivirus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCFlR-YNdc

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Finally a sex chat that rings you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Answered the phone to a women on the landline from a foreign woman claiming to be from windows 7

She was from Windows 7? What was she, Microsoft Office or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

griffdaddy wrote: »
    She was from Windows 7? What was she, Microsoft Office or something?

LOL yeah she said she was from windows 7 and my computer isnt working properly, She could have at least said she was bill gates at least that would have been a bit more on the ball but not by much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

tricky D wrote: »

ah apologies :o feel free to close this one so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I got a call from these scammers about a year ago. I knew of the scam and played along with them giving them bull**** answers to all the questions they were asking and playing real dumb. After about ten minutes of me playing the idiot and pretending that i couldn't get the mouse to work and yer man trying to talk me through it I said got it working, he spent about another 10 minutes trying to get my IP address, I kept giving him diffetent random numbers. I strung him along for at least 20 minutes in total at which point I told him that I was tired playing with him and I hope the call didn't cost him too much and that I wasnt even in front of a computer but sitting in my garage on a ride on lawn mower and hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I know my computer is not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

where is the "any key"?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

claiming to be from windows 7

'you're calling me from inside my computer?!!?!'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As for myself I have a mac so it is always working just fine:p

Well, that didn't take long to Apple up the thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Had a similar call about a month ago I asked where they got my number and they said I filled in a form when I bought my computer. I said I didn't. They argued a bit so I asked them what my name was. Patrick they said. Patrick.

My name isn't Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gg2 wrote: »
    Had a similar call about a month ago I asked where they got my number and they said I filled in a form when I bought my computer. I said I didn't. They argued a bit so I asked them what my name was. Patrick they said. Patrick.

My name isn't Patrick.

If they said Paddy you'd have them for racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That one is hilarious, they rang me once or twice last year.

Now, my husband and me are a little on the geeky side, so there are more than one computer in the house.
    None of them were running Windows at the time.

They usually fell at the first hurdle

Them : "Your computer isn't working."
    Me : "Which one of them?"
    Them : "Your computer..."
    Me : "Fair enough, but which one?"
    Them : "Your Windows isn't working properly"
    Me : "Lads, you've got the wrong number. Thanks for calling."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

When they introduce themselves i pause and the let forth an unmerciful scream that sounds like Satan roaring from the depths of hell.

They hang up and my lungs n vocal cords get a good workout.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

CJC999 wrote: »
    I got a call from these scammers about a year ago. I knew of the scam and played along with them giving them bull**** answers to all the questions they were asking and playing real dumb. After about ten minutes of me playing the idiot and pretending that i couldn't get the mouse to work and yer man trying to talk me through it I said got it working, he spent about another 10 minutes trying to get my IP address, I kept giving him diffetent random numbers. I strung him along for at least 20 minutes in total at which point I told him that I was tired playing with him and I hope the call didn't cost him too much and that I wasnt even in front of a computer but sitting in my garage on a ride on lawn mower and hung up.

I did this as well and they started call me an irish prick and abusing me, was quite funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I always wheel out Blondie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

They keep ringing my workplace lately, and it's getting on all our nerves, me boss even whistled loudly down the phone at them yesterday.

I played along with them a few days ago though, let them give me the whole script about windows not working, asked them if they could tell if my PC was on, they said yes, then I told them "Well that's funny 'cause it's off being repaired", silence, then click :D

Advertisement