Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of ownership and vrt

• 28-02-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hello,

Last week my friend was stopped driving a northern reg vehicle and was giving a fine of 10% of the vehicle. however she was in the process of selling the car and i am am considering purchasing the car from her.

My worry is that if i do by purchase the vehicle would i be liable to pay this fine? i know i have to obviously pay the VRT within 30 days of purchase but my worry is can they seize the car from me because she decided to not pay the fine or couldnt fine the money etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

hypothetically - Why should you be liable?

She committed the alleged offence

She wont be able to sell it in the republic legally wthout registering it and paying the VRT

On a side note, I take it she had an address and is living in the Republic and had not registered the car within 30 days of its arrival into the State?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

No She hasnt brought the car into the state yet but does have a address here, the problem is on the DVLA document its signed in her name and the dealer she purchased from. if i were to buy the vehicle could i just sign a hand written contract stating i bought the car and it is now in my possession? therefore stopping the revenue from seizing my nice new car? :P

Thanks

BLACKEN wrote: »
    No She hasnt brought the car into the state yet

So how was she stopped and fined?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

Oh sorry i should have made myself more clear, she driving the car in the south near her home and stopped by a custom checkpoint were she was fined and told if she was caught again or didnt pay the fine that the vehicle would be seized.

Thanks

She has 7 days from import into the State to have the car inspected for VRT and has 30 days to complete (and pay the VRT) the registration process

Have these 7 or 30 days elapsed? did she obtain the fine in Court?

You will not be legally able to buy this car from her in the Republic until it is registered here and the VRT paid - The revenue will not be fussy who pays it if you want to pay it for her.

You might want to check if you have to pay VAT in the Republic also - it is a new car I think you said?

• Advertisement
Advertisement