Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost estimate to build a 100 meter long by 6 foot high wall

Options
  • 28-02-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon all,

First time poster in construction so be gentle....

Looking to get an idea for costing to build a block wall 100 meters long by 2 meters high. Foundations are already in place. I did very iffy estimate myself based off googlefu but wanted to get a better idea from those who would know better.

Want to get a rough ball park (Doesn't have to be exact, within a few K) to get it done.... ongoing discussions on possibilities. Rough estimate should include blocks, pebble dash both sides, cosmetic pillars, assuming cap stones can be harvested from bottom section (some will probably need replacing/lost) , removal of fencing, plus labour. There is probably a scrap value on the fencing too so if anyone would have an idea on that too.....

Attached picture gives you a visual of what are looking to achieve. Replace railings with continuation of wall of same look and feel.

Cheers all for your time! appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Hey all, anyone??? rough idea would be great....

Found a website that estimated number of blocks circa 4000, found another website that indicated block cost circa €1.48 a piece.... presume block laying costs would be slightly south of €1 a block. Obviously not including things like dashing, pillar stuff, small pillar of smaller red bricks, etc. Removal of railings etc.

I'm guessing this stretch could be covered for south of €20,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

kennM wrote: »
    Hey all, anyone??? rough idea would be great....

Found a website that estimated number of blocks circa 4000, found another website that indicated block cost circa €1.48 a piece.... presume block laying costs would be slightly south of €1 a block. Obviously not including things like dashing, pillar stuff, small pillar of smaller red bricks, etc. Removal of railings etc.

I'm guessing this stretch could be covered for south of €20,000?

Yeah. I'd have said €17500 incl vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Edits ..... i now realise i never even read all of the 1st post or looked at the picture. Nonetheless, in my experience my figures are valid. In addition to my house i have build a 35m long 6 row (x 6" block) high front wall with pillars and am basing my prices on that. I also have a 50 metre 6' wall to build along the entire back of my garden .... will be staring in about a weeks time .... and again, the prices i referenced below apply.
    So perhaps somebody could try and explain / justify figures like 17.5K-20K ?!

Original comments....

17.5K ..... what the fcuk ???

~2.3 blocks per metre = 230 blocks per row. Each row is 9" so need 8 rows = 2,000 blocks (rounding up) and rounding up again to 2200 blocks to allow for pillars.
    If they are just 4" blocks then including VAT you could buy them for as little as 50c including VAT (thats more or less what i paid - midlands - a couple of months back in my new build) so €1100 for blocks. Factor in say 50 bags of cement plus half a load of sand plus mortar mix and its ~€500.

Then labour .... you would get a block layer for as low as 60c a block (its straight forward and quick frmo their perspective compared to building a house) so (rounding up) asy €1400 for labour.

So i am saying it could be done for 3K. An extra 1K if they are 6" blocks.
    Not including plastering or capping costs (not clear if required) but that stilll wouldn't push it over 6K overall

Its not 2006 anymore !!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Structural piers are probably needed for a 2m high wall. One wonders if the existing foundations are adequate.

Scrap may have a value, but the metalwork still needs to be taken down / dug out.

Do you need the pebble dash on both sides? Will the council be happy with pebble dash?
    blast06 wrote: »
    Then labour .... you would get a block layer for as low as 60c a block
    Is that blocklayer only or blocklayer + labourer?
    Not including plastering or capping costs (not clear if required)
    Specifically mentioned. Note that if you are plastering both sides, the quantity is twice that of the blockwork. You are suggesting €7.50/m2 for pebbledash.

You are also ignoring temporary fencing, etc.
    blast06 wrote: »
    Its not 2006 anymore !!
    It's not 1991 either.

Block layer and labourer..... 80c for 6" block (is what i am doing) and 60c for a 4" (was the price he quoted me if i had gone with that).
    Ballpark €90 for a day for the block layer and €65 for the labourer and they are happy.

• Advertisement

They are block on the flat so blast06 your estimate is completely wrong. You need double the amount of blocks. I just gave an idea based on a job I recently done for a local authority. When you consider insurances etc plus pensions and all fences and health and safety you will not get it don legit for your money. The minimum rate for a labourer is a lot more than €90 a day when the jlc rates are applied.

Where does it say they are on the flat ?
    Anyway, no matter - i am only relaying my figures. Take them for what they are worth but its what i am getting the job done for.

I don't get the pension point. I am not a building contractor - just a punter building a house and a couple of walls by direct labour. Up to the block layer to pay his own pension contributions from what i pay him.
    Fair enough re health & safety. I am covered on this front by general "insurance under the course of construction" for my entire project.
    Re JLC rates don't come into it in my circumstances .... it doesn't not make it legit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Victor wrote: »
    Structural piers are probably needed for a 2m high wall. One wonders if the existing foundations are adequate.

Scrap may have a value, but the metalwork still needs to be taken down / dug out.

Do you need the pebble dash on both sides? Will the council be happy with pebble dash?

Specifically mentioned. Note that if you are plastering both sides, the quantity is twice that of the blockwork. You are suggesting €7.50/m2 for pebbledash.

You are also ignoring temporary fencing, etc.

It's not 1991 either.

Cheers guys... just interested to get a ball park indication of cost for this 100 meter stretch. The more credible/knowledgeable the estimate the better.

Pebble dash both sides. The assumption I'm going with are the foundations are fine.... I don't see any material difference in the wall where railings are in place and where the wall is 6 foot high. Will the council be happy with pebble dash.... as long as its the same look & style as existing I can't see it being a problem. We are exploring costings around this ourselves due to council inaction so they'd have a bit of a cheek to object to be honest.

I'd assume the blocks are cavity blocks given the thickness of the wall... not confident on this though.

Cheers all for your time and input! really appreciate it.

Blast06. The picture shows block on flat. Also if your block layer is paying proper rates and pensions etc for his employees then €65 a day for a labourer is about half the rate of legit operators. I know that there's people working a lot cheaper but in order to qualify to do work for local authorities there is criteria to meet. I'm not saying the jlc rates are fair but we must abide or face prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Thing is if a private punter is getting it done its 5k, if its the State(ie us )paying for it its 17.5. That sums it up;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement