Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prize Bonds

• 28-02-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Anyone have them or has anyone won anything on them? Thinking of buying some just for the sheer novelty of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

I once won a lucky bag.

I got 50 quid a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I have 6 for the last 25 yrs, not a jot, nado, squat, tupence, zilto, nope nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Youll need around 25,000 euro worth to be winning anything reguraly but at that rate ur aswell to have in a high interest account.
    Theres a thread on boards about this i think.

I personally had 3000euro in for 6months didnt win anything

I now have 225euro worth for over a year and have won nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I bought 100 euro worth in 2001. Won 50 euro a while back, first time ever. My niece won 75 euro back in the summer and coincidentally my nephew in a different part of the country won 75 the same week. Somebody had given their parents a few bonds each for them when they were born. So it is possible to win even if you only have a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How do they compare with the Lotto as an investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

kowloon wrote: »
    How do they compare with the Lotto as an investment?

From what I understand they're infinitely better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Seachmall wrote: »
    From what I understand they're infinitely better.

Really? I've always considered the lotto as the yardstick method of losing all your money, but I never considered Prize Bonds as anything other than a gift idea along the same lines as a strip of scratch cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've had 200 euro in it for 3 years, got nothing so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Really? I've always considered the lotto as the yardstick method of losing all your money, but I never considered Prize Bonds as anything other than a gift idea along the same lines as a strip of scratch cards.

The difference is that when you've scratched the cards and won nothing (surprise surprise) you can't hand them back to the shop and ask for your money back.

With prize bonds you can :D

They'll cost you the rate of inflation for whatever length of time you keep them. Plus whatever interest you could have earned in a bank etc. But you can write both off against whatever prizes you win along the way (my brother won 15 grand a lot of years ago, the lucky sod).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

A strip of scratch cards as a gift, once scratched, if you win nothing is now worthless.

The prize bonds are entered in the draw every week, and can be cashed at any stage if preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Well you can sell them back for what you bought them for so you can't lose your initial investment, and you can win money.

Whereas with the Lotto you're so unlikely to win that every ticket you buy you're losing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

The percentage paid out has been reduced from about 3.5% to about 2% so expect to get even less 'winners' cheques in the post in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The draw appears every Friday at 12.30pm.

http://www.prizebonds.ie/livedraw/drawresults.asp?0

A few things to understand. There is only one big prize every week, €20,000 or on the last Friday of the month €1,000,000. Out of the 9000 odd prizes the vast majority are €50 (was €75 until a recent restructuring).

Dublin and Cork between them get around half of the prizes every week. Other counties are within a certain range e.g. Louth is 120 to 140. Every serial letter group is represented but since a lot of the older ones have been redeemed there is a preponderance of the newer ones. An examination of the winners shows that someone could hold €1m or more and win nothing on a particular week whereas someone with a few hundred could win twice. I think that this proves the draw is random.

I'm lucky enough to have a substantial holding for the last few years as a sort of experiment. On average I would win €50 (was €75) three times a month. I won €1000 once about three years ago. Overall the return is probably about 75% of what I could have earned on other State Savings products like Savings Certificates.

The odds of a single bond winning the top prize are probably a lot longer than a single line on the Lotto winning the jackpot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My mother bought us for kids an amount each for Christmas a few years back. I haven't won a penny. My brother has won 3 times! Last time won €75, the fecker! :mad:

Larianne wrote: »
    My mother bought us for kids an amount each for Christmas a few years back. I haven't won a penny. My brother has won 3 times! Last time won €75, the fecker! :mad:

Swap, swap, swap, say nothing till you hear more.;)

Swap, swap, swap, say nothing till you hear more.;)

I'm guessing our names and addresses are registered as he got his winnings in the post. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

caycro wrote: »
    The percentage paid out has been reduced from about 3.5% to about 2% so expect to get even less 'winners' cheques in the post in the future.

I have won nothing since the late 80's (had some bought for me as a kid)....do I have to start paying them money now?

I'm guessing our names and addresses are registered as he got his winnings in the post. :mad:

You need to move his ass outa that house and move in, as he is leaving tell him you luub him, then focus on the post.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

My grandmother insisted that my mother buy some Prize Bonds in 1965 as a way of saving money.

Over a couple of years she bought 30 pounds worth of prize bonds. She earned 8 pounds a week at the time. So, it was a substantial investment.

She still has them, and has NEVER won anything. Ever.

:(

You need to move his ass outa that house and move in, as he is leaving tell him you luub him, then focus on the post.:)

Well he IS currently abroad... hmmm.....

Speedsie wrote: »
    My grandmother insisted that my mother buy some Prize Bonds in 1965 as a way of saving money.

Over a couple of years she bought 30 pounds worth of prize bonds. She earned 8 pounds a week at the time. So, it was a substantial investment.

She still has them, and has NEVER won anything. Ever.

:(

If you get the prize bond numbers and input them into the database you could check for unclaimed prizes, if she moved address this would come into play.

Well he IS currently abroad... hmmm.....

Do it ninja style.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

If you get the prize bond numbers and input them into the database you could check for unclaimed prizes, if she moved address this would come into play.

I did this a couple of years ago and registered with the Bond Tracker online. Nowt!!!!

She's only moved house once (in 1970) when she married my dad.

Anyone else interested in using the tracker, the link is here:-
    www.prizebonds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I must ask my mother if she has any actually. I have a vague memory of her saying she got some for some celebration years ago. Have never moved home though, so probably pointless as would have been sent the cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Had some for years since I was a kid, never won a cent on them

When my daughter was born, a family member got her some as a present, within a month she'd won 100. Poxy kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've had about a thousand euro in Prize bonds for 12 months now, haven't won anything yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I got €3000 worth a few years ago. I won €75 twice in the first 3 months. But nothing since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement