Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for interview

• 28-02-2013 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Iv got an interview coming up its for a big multinational corporation but the interview will be with a recruitment agency in a hotel.
    Im not entirely sure what to wear, im 23 so I dont want to dress too old for my age.
    Would a skirt and blouse be ok or would I need a jacket and trouser suit>
    Il have to buy everything new and on the cheap so any recommendations would be great!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 dondavenport

I would recommend a jacket and trouser suit. Its a good investment to make anyway!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I would always err on the side of caution, tbh! You want to extra impress the recruiters so they'll pass you on to the next round. If possible, wear a suit, I think. Bring a jacket, and if the vibe seems to be more casual you can always fold the jacket over your arm.

In terms of career interviews, I've only had one for an internship, so I'm sure others can chime with better advice.

How much do you want to spend? H&M, Zara, Penney's and M&S are all worth a look for suits and separates. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate, but Zara have really nice ankle length slim trousers, that you could team with a crisp white shirt (about €12 in M&S), black full sleeve blazer (I hate those sleeve roll up ones for formal wear!!) and neat court shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 dondavenport

Twee. wrote: »
    I would always err on the side of caution, tbh! You want to extra impress the recruiters so they'll pass you on to the next round. If possible, wear a suit, I think. Bring a jacket, and if the vibe seems to be more casual you can always fold the jacket over your arm.

In terms of career interviews, I've only had one for an internship, so I'm sure others can chime with better advice.

How much do you want to spend? H&M, Zara, Penney's and M&S are all worth a look for suits and separates. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate, but Zara have really nice ankle length slim trousers, that you could team with a crisp white shirt (about €12 in M&S), black full sleeve blazer (I hate those sleeve roll up ones for formal wear!!) and neat court shoes.

+1 this is very good advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep go with the nice casual suit, and perhaps blouse and even waiscoat would look both smart and casual.. Stay away from skirts, I used to work in an office and the amount of girls I saw coming in for interviews in these awfull skirts one had a slit all the way up the back to her arse and well it looked rather bad..Pants are much safer at least you only have to worry about a fly...

best of luck with the interview..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think skirt suits look smarter than pants suit - but that's probably more of a personal preference.

You don't even have to invest in a suit, but at least make sure that your items are coordinated. Keep it clean and simple. Make sure your shoes & handbag are clean and polished etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Thanks guys!
    Off on the hunt now for some clothes, I assume its best to stick with black? Its just my bag is going to be brown but I guess that wouldnt matter too much for an interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I would favour grey over black because it's a bit brighter while still looking professional. The most important thing is looking smart and respectable though so if you find something that fits in with that in black go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I would favour grey over black because it's a bit brighter while still looking professional. The most important thing is looking smart and respectable though so if you find something that fits in with that in black go for it.

+1

I never understand the use of black for professional clothing (bar shoes). It's a very powerful colour and at times - such as in interviews - projection of power may not go in your favour.

Additionally it is far less versatile than grey in terms of other colour combinations and visible textures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I will always and forever remember my careers guidance teacher impressing on us that no matter how classy/expensive/co-ordinated your clothes were....

HAIR
    NAILS
    SHOES

must be immaculate.

The best designer clobber is ruined by scruffy shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Thanks guys, Iv got a grey suit and a nice new pair of black shoes!
    Any tips on make up? I was thinking of eyeliner and my upper lid but not lower one and just sticking with lip gloss instead of lipstick, would this be right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 smirker

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yep go with the nice casual suit, and perhaps blouse and even waiscoat would look both smart and casual.. Stay away from skirts, I used to work in an office and the amount of girls I saw coming in for interviews in these awfull skirts one had a slit all the way up the back to her arse and well it looked rather bad..Pants are much safer at least you only have to worry about a fly...

best of luck with the interview..
    Some dress for an interview as if they were going to a disco. Most studies recommend a skirt suit for the first two interviews. Clearly the skirt should be a business skirt and not a leftover from the disco gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks guys, Iv got a grey suit and a nice new pair of black shoes!
    Any tips on make up? I was thinking of eyeliner and my upper lid but not lower one and just sticking with lip gloss instead of lipstick, would this be right?

For work, I wear a neutral/light eyeshadow and mascara. I don't wear eyeliner, but that's because I have blonde colouring. If eyeliner works on you, then wear it, but keep it light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

If you have long hair, tie it back, it looks more professional.

Make sure your make up is well applied and discreet. Not a massive fan of lip gloss, but that's just me. If you are wearing it, just don't go too bright, neutral is prob best. Make sure your nails are tidy, no chipped polish etc.

If you have a skirt suit, wear tights and just be careful if sitting/crossing your legs.

Good luck!

Advertisement