Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you repeat your leaving cert but not go to school?

• 28-02-2013 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So If God forbid I don't get what I want in my LC this year can I repeat it next year but stay at home? i heard it's possible how can this be done any links for more info would be highly appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Yes you can, you'd be applying as an external candidate: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec You have to do your exams in your local school but other than that you can just work on it yourself, although it can be very very tough to find the inspiration to work sometimes! There is quite a few adults who do this, especially those who didn't do the Leaving Cert or else do very badly.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Why would you want to repeat the leaving anyway? I have no clue why people do this. Just pick a different course. If you want medicine etc then obviously you will have to

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

theidiots wrote: »
    Why would you want to repeat the leaving anyway? I have no clue why people do this. Just pick a different course. If you want medicine etc then obviously you will have to

to get the points for the course they want?

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

eoins23456 wrote: »
    to get the points for the course they want?

its a waste of a year, plenty of work arounds

theidiots wrote: »
    its a waste of a year, plenty of work arounds

it is a work around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

either taking a different course or repeating are both things that could go arseways you could end up regreting , but from my knowing many people that have taken either options taking the year to repeat is the safer option for so many reasons.

penzo wrote: »
    either taking a different course or repeating are both things that could go arseways you could end up regreting , but from my knowing many people that have taken either options taking the year to repeat is the safer option for so many reasons.

I think there was a survey done in which students were asked whether they were happy with their chose course and 44 percent weren't so I'd agree with you. I imagine among that 44 percent they're a few that chose a different course rather then repeating .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

fontdor wrote: »
    So If God forbid I don't get what I want in my LC this year can I repeat it next year but stay at home? i heard it's possible how can this be done any links for more info would be highly appreciated. Thank You.

It honestly depends on your school. In my school I'm entitled to come and go as I please. I tried staying home for about 8 weeks; half of November, all of December and a week in January. I wouldn't recommend it. Although I got a good bit done in terms of revision, I had to stick vigorously to a schedule, otherwise the time would've flew me by and I'd be sitting here panicking right now! You also have no notes to follow and no indication of what the rest of your year is doing. I found it quite isolating and lonely at times, especially with your friends from last year having moved on. I also think that having a teacher is vital (although that can be argued) to keep you on top of what you should be doing and to give you homework, exams and notes as I've mentioned already.
    TLDR: Avoid repeating at home at all costs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For certain subjects (History, Geography, Home Ec., DCG, Engineering etc.) you will need a teacher to sign off on practical/project work to say it was your own unaided work.

Advertisement