Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Estate Records

• 28-02-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had a real breakthrough in their family tree from estate records research?

Just wanted to see what the general consensus is among the boardsies genealogists.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nope but I have worked with a lot of estate records and I can see that there would be breakthroughs in there. Things like a lease which has the original party crossed out and a daughter plus husband written in. Rent rolls showing tenants had a history of not paying their rent but not being thrown out for over a decade.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’ve never had to use them for ‘ancestor purposes on my own lines. However, the few times I’ve obtained records for general information from info on the NUI Galway landed estates site it’s been very useful . The NUI site has good references for Estate records elsewhere - in the National Archives, NLI, printed articles/books, so some preliminary searching can be done online.

Interesting that Pinky mentioned evictions – the late 1800’s owners of one big estate I researched (local history project) were noted ‘evictors’. They were mentioned in Westminster and Hansard gave some great info (tenants evicted owed from 2½ to 9 years' rent) whereas the Estate rent roll was not available. Unfortunately the ‘search’ facility is not up on the newly-moved Hansard site yet - http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/index.html but keep an eye out for it – there’s some great ‘stuff’ in there!

Advertisement