Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skepticism

Options
  • 28-02-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to recommend any introductory books on the philosophy of skepticism?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Postmodern philosophy tends to be skeptical, especially works by deconstructionists like Jacques Derrida (He has written several books, including Margins of Philosophy, Points, Of Grammatology, etc.). Be warned that he is a difficult read, and does not have a formally constructed philosophy. I continue to struggle with his works, but I do appreciate his methodology, as well as his critiques of dichotomies that occur throughout philosophy.

In Of Grammatology Derrida deconstructs Claude Lévi-Strauss, the latter considered one of the founding fathers of structuralist thought; e.g., Derrida was very skeptical of the Lévi-Strauss "writing experiment," which was one foundation argument for his philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Appreciated but if it's heavy going for someone experienced in the subject like yourself, then I won't have a chance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Appreciated but if it's heavy going for someone experienced in the subject like yourself, then I won't have a chance!
    I found a very short paperback book (59 pages) by Christopher Johnson titled Derrida that's an easy read, published in 1999 by Routledge, New York. Therein Johnson briefly explores Derrida's views of Ferdinand de Saussure and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and then focuses on deconstructing Claude Lévi-Strauss's structuralism, taking it apart piece by piece. Where Derrida is often a difficult read, Johnson's review of Derrida is smooth sailing and quite understandable. You may find it for checkout from a university library.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Derrida's writing purposefully draws attention to itself as he emphasises "differance". The easiest way to get a grip on him would be to read a critical exposition of his work rather than the work itself at first anyway.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Derrida's writing purposefully draws attention to itself as he emphasises "differance". The easiest way to get a grip on him would be to read a critical exposition of his work rather than the work itself at first anyway.
    If you read "critical exposition(s) of his work," please note that you may wish to read more than one, as when doing so you may discover that there are camps of pro-Derrida and anti-Derrida critics, many of whom are skewed to one side or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Black Swan wrote: »
    If you read "critical exposition(s) of his work," please note that you may wish to read more than one, as when doing so you may discover that there are camps of pro-Derrida and anti-Derrida critics, many of whom are skewed to one side or the other.

Yes that is very true. He has been a hugely divisive figure but reinvigorated the academic world with his works. Rivkin and Ryan (Literary Theory: An Anthology) give a very unbiased view of his work. It amounts to an easily explained summary. I would entirely disagree with his linguistic theories.

Another source...

Although not a skeptic per se, René Descartes in his Meditations On First Philosophy uses skepticism as a method to investigate philosophies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement