Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel Dog Food

• 28-02-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Have 5 year old Springer Spaniel bitch, so far we have been just buying different food but not sure how good it is for her, anyway was going to buy "expensive" food. At the moment we are giving her Madra but she is pooing all over the place and always seems hungry.....what would you recommend?>

Some people have said Royal Canin? found this: http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/royal-canin-midi-adult-15kg/

Is it any good?

Would people recommend Bakers? or Pedigree?

Also where is best place to purchase?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Pedigree, bakers and madra are all rubbish tbh, if you can buy it in a supermarket or at a garage then it generally is.

What would your budget be?

I personally would recommend Skinners, Burns, James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange. I have used all the above and have had good results, Wellbeloved and Burns didn't suit my dog but they are still good foods.

I personally wouldn't recommend Royal Canin or Hills ( Unless they are prescription foods) because I think they are too expensive and there are far better quality foods for that kind of money.

As for where to buy, if you want to buy local, petmania or maxizoo, some if this I listed may not be available there but you should definitely be able to get Wellbeloved and possibly burns and Arden grange.

You can also buy online, I would recommend amazon, that's where I and a lot of other boardsies get skinners or Zooplus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Pedigree, bakers and madra are all rubbish tbh, if you can buy it in a supermarket or at a garage then it generally is.

What would your budget be?

I personally would recommend Skinners, Burns, James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange. I have used all the above and have had good results, Wellbeloved and Burns didn't suit my dog but they are still good foods.

I personally wouldn't recommend Royal Canin or Hills ( Unless they are prescription foods) because I think they are too expensive and their are far better quality foods for that kind of money.

As for where to buy, if you want to buy local, petmania or maxizoo, some if this I listed may not be available there but you should definitely be able to get Wellbeloved and possibly burns and Arden grange.

You can also buy online, I would recommend amazon, that's where I and a lot of other boardsies get skinners or Zooplus.

Budget is whatever I really need to pay, I dont mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The foods recommended above are good.

I have cocker spaniels and feed them Burns which I get from ZooPlus. I have tried Skinners too which is pretty much similar ingredient wise. The best place to get Skinners is Amazon.

A springer would be fairly energetic. The thing with Burns original (chicken & brown rice) is that the protein/fats/oils would be low. So if your dog has higher energy, runs around alot and can be hungry, then Skinners might be better as it has higher protein, etc. (It might be more satisfying - Burns dogs tend to be lean/slim.)

Another one people are talking about is Barking Heads. Its more expensive as it has more meat. Amazon is the best for this. I think it has protein around 27%.

Also Burns recommend their Puppy Chicken & Brown rice if you want more meat content. Same protein level as Barking Heads.

With each of the above they all have good ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Have 5 year old Springer Spaniel bitch, so far we have been just buying different food but not sure how good it is for her, anyway was going to buy "expensive" food. At the moment we are giving her Madra but she is pooing all over the place and always seems hungry.....what would you recommend?>

Some people have said Royal Canin? found this: http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/royal-canin-midi-adult-15kg/

Is it any good?

Would people recommend Bakers? or Pedigree?

Also where is best place to purchase?

Thanks

Get this:

http://www.petshop.ie/acatalog/gRaw_Fresh_Meat_Dog_Food.html

You can supplement that with bones from the butcher and cheap bits you pick up from Tesco etc. because its natural meat too.

Check www.dogfoodanslysis.com and Royal Canin gets poor reviews.

Taste of the Wild is a very good nut type food.

http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/231920?previousProductGroupId=53349

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I use Taste of the Wild or Acana, as they are both grain (filler and ****e) free, get them at either Amazon or zooplus.

Poo solid as a rock, and no more allergic reactions to food. She would get horrible itchy ears and a big buildup of gunk with food that has grain in it.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

Everyone keeps saying order off Amazon but do you not pay high delivery costs? or which company do you order from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Everyone keeps saying order off Amazon but do you not pay high delivery costs? or which company do you order from?

Taste of the Wild from Zooplus.ie or .co.uk. Whichever works out cheaper. Free shipping over €50 and they'll give you 10% off first order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Make sure the seller is actually Amazon and not a third party seller - it'll say "dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk" on it. If you use the subscribe and save option you'll automatically get free shipping and 10% of each order. See below link for an example - it's also one of the best dry foods you can feed a dog:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taste-Wild-Pacific-Stream-Smoked/dp/B0018CIP6K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362144538&sr=8-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

We use "Select Gold' from Maxi Zoo for our springer. We trialled lots of brands and this one seems suit him best. (Haven't tried 'taste of the wild' though)

James Wellbeloved for a springer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Have my Springer/Collie x on Skinners Field & Trial Maintenance. Excellent food, does great on it. €20 approx from Amazon.co.uk, have it on subscribe & save, delivered to my door. Lasts about 3months for her.
    Younger dog is on Skinners F&T Crunchy but will be moved to Maintenance soon enough now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

This is kinda off topic but I ordered on Amazon using the subscribe and save option and got it delivery and VAT free. Then I cancelled that order and created a new subscribe and save for the same brand, skinnners, but different type and was charged for VAT. Does anyone have any idea why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

snoman wrote: »
    This is kinda off topic but I ordered on Amazon using the subscribe and save option and got it delivery and VAT free. Then I cancelled that order and created a new subscribe and save for the same brand, skinnners, but different type and was charged for VAT. Does anyone have any idea why?

Depends on the type of Skinners product. The Field & Trial line is VAT free because I think working dog food is VAT exempt in the UK. If it was anything other than F&T then it probably is not VAT exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Ah. All is now clear. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

We use "Select Gold' from Maxi Zoo for our springer. We trialled lots of brands and this one seems suit him best. (Haven't tried 'taste of the wild' though)

We tried Select Gold from maxi zoo when we got our now 3yr. old springer. It had a terrible effect on her. For the first six months she was in a dreadful state with diarrohea etc to the extent she spent a night in the vets on two separate occasions where they tried to find out what was wrong with her..
    I changed her to Red Mills and literally overnight she improved and we have
    never looked back. It really all depends on the type of dog..

Just an update as I started the thread, I put Springer onto Pedigree Adult something or other which was on special in Woodies, think I paid about 50 odd for 2 x 15kg bags. Dog seems to like and has stopped her doing about 15 poops a day so happy with that, think I will look at other dog food from ebay as think there is better quality around, but not buying the cheap crap anymore.....

Hi Guys

To bring a thread up from the past......I ended up buying some dog food locally but pain....so I have put a subscribe and save on the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003TL9T40/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

Is it good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hi Guys

To bring a thread up from the past......I ended up buying some dog food locally but pain....so I have put a subscribe and save on the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003TL9T40/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

Is it good?
    Whole wheat, maize, chicken meat meal, barley, chicken fat, beet pulp, vitamins and minerals.
    Not really; meat should be the primary (and largest) part of of the food (with a few exceptions for dogs that need low protein food but then something that's not based on wheat or maize).

If you're looking for something relatively cheap then go for Markus Mühle NaturNah; you can lower the price further by ordering from Germany (but only do that once you've confirmed it works with your dog if you go down that route).

Advertisement