Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts per page

Options
  • 28-02-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

Why not set a user's 'posts per page' to be automatically at the maximum amount?

Isn't it what everyone does, anyways, once they realise the option is there?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No. I've been here a few years and prefer 15 posts per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've been here many years now, never once deviated from 15 posts per page, never plan to.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

15 posts per page would absolutely wreck my head at this stage. On another forum I use there is the option to have it up to 100, but I use 60, not sure why. 40 would be a minimum for me really.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Not broken don't fix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Its a valid point.

When I started on this site, it was back in the days of dial-up slowness and it made sense in general internet terms to minimise the data needing to be served.

I'd be interested to hear from the tech guys as to which would be more efficient these days. Assuming it's all cached as would be expected of current threads here, would there be more vs less bandwith consumed by larger page sizes vs less loads?

• Advertisement

Would it increase server load if the default was higher? I'm still on 15 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a preference and the poster can choose to use 40 or not.
    If you really want to max it out, use AutoPager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Steve wrote: »
    Its a valid point.

When I started on this site, it was back in the days of dial-up slowness and it made sense in general internet terms to minimise the data needing to be served.

I'd be interested to hear from the tech guys as to which would be more efficient these days. Assuming it's all cached as would be expected of current threads here, would there be more vs less bandwith consumed by larger page sizes vs less loads?

Boards has loads of bandwidth, but limited hardware resources. All our caching, date-hints and other optimisations are based on the defaults as they are - so 15 posts per page is easier, especially for very active threads.

Danny

Advertisement