Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT threads in After Hours

Options
  • 28-02-2013 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Three posters were banned today for expressing opposing opinions about certain specific transsexual issues in After Hours.

DrunkMonkey

Ashers22

Me

In my opinion this is the equivalent of using force to silence someone elses opinion.

As soon as I see some transsexual story in the newspaper I groan, because I know it'll get posted in After Hours and the usual suspects will jump on it to "educate" everyone.
    It's a "honey pot" ban trap.

Anyone who has a different opinion is immediately swarmed against and the trigger happy post reporters are abusing the post report system to silence the opinions that they don't want to hear.

Let's face it, every user account here has a dollar value.
    Each time a mod bans someone, Boards.ie lose real advertising revenue.
    Has some bean counter in boards worked out the dollar value of each user?

So why do the mods allow so many threads about transsexuals in After Hours?
    A google search shows the population of Ireland is 4,487,000 and the American Psychiatric Association says that in Europe the incident of transsexuals is 1 in 30,000.

That means that there are only about 150 people in Ireland who are transsexual, and they wouldn't all be on boards.

So why does such a small population end up causing so many other users to be banned?
    Talk about the tail wagging the dog!

Isn't the LGBT forum there for a reason, to avoid spamming the general population with minority specific topics ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*grabs popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

*Turns on industrial popcorn machine*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Drunkmonkey was banned for more than that one post. They had a long history of trolling AH and decided to go on a bit of a spree. So they got banned.

You were banned because the only reason your ban was ever ever lifted from AH was that you were to never post on thread in LGBT issues in there.

And you did that.

I would like if Ashers22, if they are reading this under perhaps a new account to get in touch with me so we can have a discussion about the validity of their ban.

But there you go. No mod conspiracy. Just that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78958073&postcount=3
    Is the specific post relating to your ban btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

So minorities don't deserve to be treated civilly or to not suffer bigotry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78958073&postcount=3
    Is the specific post relating to your ban btw.

Yes, a thread in which I opposed gay adoption, as did about 330 other people in the poll if I remember.

But they were to scared to argue their case, quite rightly so, since they would set themselves up as a target for being banned.

My point still stands... why does a subset of the population, which is less than 1/10 the population of the Aran Islands end up spamming After Hours and getting a disproportionate number of AH posters banned ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

If you don't like the threads just ignore them.
    It's not like it's "hey you not transpeople better agree with us or we'll kill you".
    It's AH, if you dislike a thread just don't go into it. I went into it this morning, saw the first few pages, shook my head and left.

It's not a case of them being a honey pot to get people banned. It's a case of people not being able to argue civilly.
    Something like "I think the parents are completely wrong and it's impossible to know you're a different gender at the age" works. But it just turned into a flame fest because people couldn't understand that their opinions aren't the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

My point still stands... why does a subset of the population, which is less than 1/10 the population of the Aran Islands end up spamming After Hours and getting a disproportionate number of AH posters banned ?

Because those posters refuse to engage in civil and reasoned debate but resort to digs and insults.

Many posters strongly disagree with certain things but they don't get banned. Everyone's opinion is valid to them. It is how it is expressed is key.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From the Feedback Charter:
    Users under a ban from a forum
    Users currently serving a ban from a forum with a duration over 1 month are not allowed to post on feedback threads concerning that forum. Once the ban is lifted or the term has ended, then the user is more than welcome to participate. This is to stem a growing trend of banned users hijacking threads to either appeal a ban or take the opoprtunity to make life more difficult for the mod or mods that imposed the ban in the first place. Any post reported, if posted after this amendment to the charter and during a ban period will be investigated. Any user found breaking this rule will have a ban from feedback imposed on them, without warning, that will only be lifted when their original forum ban has expired or has been lifted. To appeal a ban, please use the Dispute Resolution forum and follow the Dispute resolution procedure. If you wish to complain outside of that process, please feel free to do so on any of the other forums hosted outside of the boards.ie/adverts.ie servers.

/Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement