Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you guys attach shiplap??

Options
  • 28-02-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am building a shed at the moment and wondering would 18g 50mm nails be alright to attach shiplap or should I use framing nails?? I have both second fix and first fix nails on site so screws would mean a big detour in the morning but if need be ill have to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

slpower01 wrote: »
    I am building a shed at the moment and wondering would 18g 50mm nails be alright to attach shiplap or should I use framing nails?? I have both second fix and first fix nails on site so screws would mean a big detour in the morning but if need be ill have to do it.

I would use 50mm 16ga. But that's because I have the dewalt cordless pinner. But I can see no reason not to use 18ga pins

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I would use 50mm 16ga. But that's because I have the dewalt cordless pinner. But I can see no reason not to use 18ga pins

I don't think there is too much difference in 16g and 18g to be honest (well ive never noticed it anyway).... I guess I can try the first board and see how much effort it takes to pull off with enough pins.

Its either that or 90mm framing nails which I think might be a bit overkill ha.

slpower01 wrote: »

I don't think there is too much difference in 16g and 18g to be honest (well ive never noticed it anyway).... I guess I can try the first board and see how much effort it takes to pull off with enough pins.

Its either that or 90mm framing nails which I think might be a bit overkill ha.

Framing nails will cause the shiplap to split because they will be too close to edge. You need to keep the pins reasonably close to edge so that the next board hides the pins.

Framing nails will cause the shiplap to split because they will be too close to edge. You need to keep the pins reasonably close to edge so that the next board hides the pins.

There is some difference. Mainly 16ga are thicker and have a bigger head

There is some difference. Mainly 16ga are thicker and have a bigger head

Yeah I just noticed that, found some 16's in the shed.... I guess If I toenail and put in enough nails it should be strong enough, they are only small boards anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You should prob use ribbed nails and 16guage would be the lightest I would go.

I only have a 18 gauge nailer but I plastered the boards with nails and I could pretty much hang out of them by then end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Grand job so ah ye they should be alright once there maintained ye know yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

A bit late now but there is a specific nail for shiplap. its stainless steel and a sort of a cross between a bat nail and 1st fix strip nail. i only ever seen them in collated form though.

Advertisement