Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Home Server 2011 build - is it too late?

Options
  • 28-02-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi,
    Plenty of rumors and not only on the net point towards Windows Home Server 2011 being dead. I was looking for PC to place couple HDDs in for RAID 1 solution for backup, easy sharing, streaming and possibly secure access over the net. Is it still a viable solution or is this panic true?
    I am going for LGA 1155 Celeron and H77 MB with no 3rd party hardware add ons. Motherboard is plain and simple. Will drivers be supported and how secure is WHS 2011 at this stage? I only have Windows 7 PCs at the moment to back up, that shouldn't be a problem. Or would it?
    It was my dream to centralise the data and put an end to double files and insecure old HDDs. I would like to proceed executing it but since I looked around am a bit confused. Some people point out I could get Windows 8 to do most of the tasks I need but I can't even get a system builders copy for below €100 while WHS 2011 sells for mere €40.
    Thanks all for your answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you considered using Linux with OpenVPN for secure remote access. Linux supports NTFS so the data can be easily accessed by Windows machines.

Also it is free and OpenVPN is available for Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

FSL wrote: »
    Have you considered using Linux with OpenVPN for secure remote access. Linux supports NTFS so the data can be easily accessed by Windows machines.

Also it is free and OpenVPN is available for Windows.

One thing for me with Linux is the command line. I have never used it and find it very inconvenient. Installing anything seems like back to DOS to me. That's why I like Windows machines. I rather go through 10 pop ups or menus than manual. Also I would need to familiarise myself with their drive structure as in instead of c: you have root or smt.

My real wonder is WHS 2011, is it really that outdated? Heard it does not want to communicate with Windows 8 machines for backups etc. Is that true?

Advertisement