Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cutbacks and expenses....

• 28-02-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Every teacher in the country, both primary and secondary,should email their local TD and suggest a bigger percentage reduction in political salaries than the paltry amount mentioned in Croke Parke 2. I am annoyed that the media have not made any reference to the expenses these people get.Who is to say that the few euros they get cut by will not be added to their expenses and they will in effect not be cut at all.
    I have witnessed at first hand the politician and his wife who are far removed from reality.A friend works in a school where the principal is the partner of a politician and this particular person has no mercy whatsoever in considering parents wishes in an unemployment black-spot and regularly harangues the students.They are never given any leeway and parents are now talking about moving their children to other schools where there will be a bit of mercy shown unto them. Its time the teachers of this once proud independent nation did their bit in seeing a fairer society for all.Politicians salaries should be cut by at least 25% and their 'expenses' should not be entertained at all.Also pensions should be paid to them at age 68 or whatever the retirement age of the day is.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I started teaching, a teacher's starting salary and a TD's salary were the same.

Now one is €30,904 and the other is about €93,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ethical wrote: »
    Every teacher in the country, both primary and secondary,should email their local TD and suggest a bigger percentage reduction in political salaries than the paltry amount mentioned in Croke Parke 2. I am annoyed that the media have not made any reference to the expenses these people get.Who is to say that the few euros they get cut by will not be added to their expenses and they will in effect not be cut at all.
    I have witnessed at first hand the politician and his wife who are far removed from reality.A friend works in a school where the principal is the partner of a politician and this particular person has no mercy whatsoever in considering parents wishes in an unemployment black-spot and regularly harangues the students.They are never given any leeway and parents are now talking about moving their children to other schools where there will be a bit of mercy shown unto them. Its time the teachers of this once proud independent nation did their bit in seeing a fairer society for all.Politicians salaries should be cut by at least 25% and their 'expenses' should not be entertained at all.Also pensions should be paid to them at age 68 or whatever the retirement age of the day is.

Be careful what you wish for. Go ahead and abolish expenses. Then only the wealthy from rural Ireland could afford to go to the dail. How could a person from the west coast be reasonably be expected to travel to Dublin at great expense, and keep themselves there, while a Dublin td gets paid the same, without the same costs.
    certainly expenses need to be looked at carefully, but abolishing them completely does not make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Be careful what you wish for. Go ahead and abolish expenses. Then only the wealthy from rural Ireland could afford to go to the dail. How could a person from the west coast be reasonably be expected to travel to Dublin at great expense, and keep themselves there, while a Dublin td gets paid the same, without the same costs.
    certainly expenses need to be looked at carefully, but abolishing them completely does not make sense.

I live in Donegal and drive 450 miles a week to week and back. Thats over 100 miles longer than driving from I live to Dublin and back. I get nothing for it in terms of expenses and it has to come out of my substantially smaller salary. To say that someone on over double couldn't do it is ludicrous.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get expenses but 10,000 max each year would be plenty and they could use one of the many hotels we now own to stay in!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

it would also be nice to see them reduce the number of tds as they said they would. 166 tds for a nation of our size is a joke.

Advertisement