Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg length discrepancy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

iHungry wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this might be your issue. I was diagnosed with a pelvic tilt years ago which meant my legs were uneven, one longer than the other. It gave me a sore lower back. I was told to wear a lift in my left shoe.

Recently I found that I can correct it. This is working for me. Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/Js5xg9o78Jw[URL][/url]

The pelvic tilt occurs when there is a length difference.
    There is a length difference and then the tilt occurred?

I didn't expect so many replies to this thread.
    Who here has confirmed leg length differences?

It seems it's very very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vos

Hi everyone,

Seeing as many here seem to be wondering how a leg discrepancy can be diagnosed I thought I'd share my experience.

I have been suffering from severe back pain for about a year and a half now. I didn't know what the cause was up until recently when I was diagnosed with a leg discrepancy.

To check for discrepancy my legs were first measured externally and the location of my hips was observed. But a more accurate measurement was achieved through a PANORAMIC X RAY of my lower limb which confimed there was indeed a difference of 4mm between my legs. My pelvis is also longer on my right side. This length difference is likely due to a teratoma I had growing up.

A Panoramic X Ray, I believe is the best way to identify and find the precise difference one might have between two limbs since it provides a clear picture of the legs' actual lengths.

I will now have to wear an insole with added height for my left foot in order to realign my body and hopefully this discrepancy can be corrected. The orthopedic doctor is hopeful it will be corrected but I have been told I shouldn't run again or perform any high impact exercise. Walking and swimming are recommended.

I hope we all feel better one day :)

Shazamm wrote: »
    I didn't expect so many replies to this thread.
    Who here has confirmed leg length differences?

It seems it's very very common.

There are two types of leg discrepancy: anatomical and functional. An anatomical discrepancy is where there is an actual difference in the length of the lower extremities; while a functional discrepancy is caused by a pelvic imbalance which makes it seem as though one leg is shorter when it isn't. The first is actually quite rare while the latter is very common.

Shazamm wrote: »
    The pelvic tilt occurs when there is a length difference.
    There is a length difference and then the tilt occurred?

There doesn't have to be a length difference for a pelvic tilt to occur.

A friend of mine began to feel pain in her foot a few years ago after walking in heels on a trip aboard. She was diagnosed with a pelvic tilt and given a lift to correct it. Her legs are the same length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

RayCun wrote: »
    I always wonder how they measure this without the use of x-rays

With a measuring tape.

Seriously.

Why would xrays be needed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Vos wrote: »
    There are two types of leg discrepancy: anatomical and functional. An anatomical discrepancy is where there is an actual difference in the length of the lower extremities; while a functional discrepancy is caused by a pelvic imbalance which makes it seem as though one leg is shorter when it isn't. The first is actually quite rare while the latter is very common.

Precisely.

sent you a pm Vos

Advertisement