Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting a parcel through an post - noob

Options
  • 01-03-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Sorry if i'm in the wrong section.

I have to send a 6kg parcel to galway, checked the rates and all that and i have the item in its original box and i want to know if i have to package the box myself? or do i just go to the post office give you a shipping bag to put it in?

Sorry if its a really silly question but i don't want to stand there with a big box and look like an idiot when they tell me i have to take it back home and buy a box to put that box in.

Would be greatful for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

tjwaterss wrote: »
    Sorry if i'm in the wrong section.

I have to send a 6kg parcel to galway, checked the rates and all that and i have the item in its original box and i want to know if i have to package the box myself? or do i just go to the post office give you a shipping bag to put it in?

Sorry if its a really silly question but i don't want to stand there with a big box and look like an idiot when they tell me i have to take it back home and buy a box to put that box in.

Would be greatful for any help.

You need to pack it. Although depending on what the box is you can just stick an address label on the existing retail box if it is secure. I've done that a good few times with laptops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You need to pack it. Although depending on what the box is you can just stick an address label on the existing retail box if it is secure. I've done that a good few times with laptops etc.

+1 It needs to be already packed, they don't supply cartons like DHL/UPS etc. do for their customers. If the box has Amazon etc. labels on it, just slap blank labels over them. Make sure there's no visible barcodes, you don't want the parcel coming back to you by mistake!

Have it packed & sealed and the address clearly displayed. Don't bother putting 'Fragile' or similar instructions on it, they will be ignored.

You'll get a lower rate if the item qualifies as a 'Packet' rather than a 'Parcel', see the details here...

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/What+Are+You+Sending+Details.htm#packet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjwaterss

if i put it in a big polythene mailing bag would they accept it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

tjwaterss wrote: »
    if i put it in a big polythene mailing bag would they accept it?

Yes. Alternatively you could wrap it in a black sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

i went to the post office one evening around 5pm to register a parcel to Hungary. i handed the parcel over to the guy (as you do) he put all the stickers and stuff on it and my job was done.

next morning the doorbell rang so the wife went and answered the door to the postman who had a package that she had to sign for from (you guessed it) Hungary...........

the guy had labled the package arseways and they delivered it to the return address

be careful, but you shoudl wrap it up and adress it yourself, to be honest for 6kgs your probably better off going to Parcel2go or a courier it will be much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

I would check out parcel2go and postplus to compare prices before using An Post at least you get tracking and insurance, it get collected from your door too.

Advertisement