Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with grass

• 01-03-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

i have a large 100+ yr old beech tree at end of garden ,the fallen leaves are the problem keeps killing off grass in patches ,i do my best raking 40 black bags this winter alone,some say beech leaves are bad for grass as they release toxins ?any advice ? Only laid roll out grass ,last may ,any sugestions on how i can improve grass ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well I gues you cant stop it shedding its leaves. Instead of bagging them up can you find a corner and make a leaf pile for making leaf mold? Beech is an excellent leaf for doing it. You can pen in an area using stakes and chciken wire. Then spread the leaf mold around the garden when it is ready.
    You can get shade/shadow grass seed that might fare better under the tree. Lidl have it ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/29011.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

redser7 wrote: »
    Well I gues you cant stop it shedding its leaves. Instead of bagging them up can you find a corner and make a leaf pile for making leaf mold? Beech is an excellent leaf for doing it. You can pen in an area using stakes and chciken wire. Then spread the leaf mold around the garden when it is ready.
    You can get shade/shadow grass seed that might fare better under the tree. Lidl have it ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/29011.htm

Might do that for next winter , any ferts that would help now ?
    Would poultry pellets be any use ?

Going to get some peat /compost/sand mix for seeds

Chicken pellets would be good but would take some time to break down. Better I think would be a granular or liquid feed. Wait a wee while longer before you feed. It will take up the nutrients better once it is actively growing, it is just starting to wake up now. So after Paddy's day - early April would be good for the first feed.

redser7 wrote: »
    Chicken pellets would be good but would take some time to break down. Better I think would be a granular or liquid feed. Wait a wee while longer before you feed. It will take up the nutrients better once it is actively growing, it is just starting to wake up now. So after Paddy's day - early April would be good for the first feed.

Cheers Redser

i raked out old thatch and remaining leaves ,light forking in bad spots & raked in general compost sprinkled seeds , as you said got shaded type seeds for along walls etc....

I have went to NAD Blake's Cross,
    Lusk,

before they have a world of stuff in there .

is there anything i can get to give it a boost or must i wait till April ?

Thanks Michael

I really would leave it till longer warmer days arrive. Anyway, the compost will have nutrients in it so no need for anything for a while :)

• Advertisement

Will do thanks

Advertisement