Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining defence forces as a doctor

• 01-03-2013 6:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm a final year medical student and was thinking about joining the defence forces as a doctor next year.

Ideally, I would love to join the air corps, and to learn to fly. I have no idea about what sort of commitments I would have to make, or what level of training I would have to complete. Also, at what level of my medical post-graduate training would be the best time to join, what would pay/ training be like etc.

I would appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions, esp any doctors who have previously joined the defence forces

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

unless you want to join to be a df doctor, in which case you wont be flying anything. your in the same boat as anyone else applying for a cadetship. pay rates are available online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

c-90 wrote: »
    unless you want to join to be a df doctor, in which case you wont be flying anything. your in the same boat as anyone else applying for a cadetship. pay rates are available online.

Doctors are direct-entrys and do not do a cadetship. In theory they could apply as graduates for positions as cadets but they would not be accepted. The Army is perpetually short of doctors so would not have a qualified one working outside of the medical corps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

I think before you can join the df directly as a doctor you have to have been on an spr scheme and be reg qualified as a min. Though there is a shortage of them you never know. But you would need some experience at least, ie intern year, sho scheme and maybe started an spr scheme. Would be strange for an intern to get the job as there would be no doctor training scheme in place. Your best bet is to ring up DFHQ in dublin and talk to someone there.
    Do your internship and do the travelling first, because with the army it will always come first no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Kosseegan wrote: »

Doctors are direct-entrys and do not do a cadetship. In theory they could apply as graduates for positions as cadets but they would not be accepted. The Army is perpetually short of doctors so would not have a qualified one working outside of the medical corps.

missed the first part of the op's post, assumed they ddnt want to be a dr.

they could hardly be denied a cadetship simply because they didnt want to be a dr, equal oppertuinties and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

c-90 wrote: »
    missed the first part of the op's post, assumed they ddnt want to be a dr.

they could hardly be denied a cadetship simply because they didnt want to be a dr, equal oppertuinties and all that.

they won't say why they are doing it. They just won't give the marks at interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement