Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No 2:1 for me

• 01-03-2013 6:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

So I failed at christmas which means I can't get a 2:1 degree which translates into not a hope of getting any graduate work as everything a 2:1 minium.

I am 23 run my own business but never really took to college,disliked the course but said I would stick it out. The professional advice I was given was to either do a masters or repeat 4th year. College life is really tedious to me so I just want to finish the year and leave the educational world. I have a lot of work experience buts counts for nothing if you dont have a 2:1 it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Do you want advice, or just rant? If you're not really interested in going down the postgraduate route, than not having a 2.1 wont be a problem. At the end of it all, you have a degree on your CV. You can of course do a taught MSc with a 2.2, but I wouldnt be too down on yourself, just concentrate on finishing out the summster. Finally, if you have doubts on your xmas scores, then you can appeal them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

The thing is all I am focused is finishing off the year and thats it. Since I failed my degree is capped at a pass. I am going to try and get work in my business area and try go from there,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It's possible to get into taught masters degrees with even a pass undergraduate degree.
    Especially if you have work experience in the subject area or apply to UK universities who very often have plenty of spaces to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 IdentityCrisiz

jamesdiver wrote: »
    At the end of it all, you have a degree on your CV.

Totally agree, the piece of paper might get you the interview, but it's your experience, personality and knowledge that will convince someone to give you the job. Don't carry your qualification around like a lead weight - be proud of the fact that you finished college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

The thing is all I am focused is finishing off the year and thats it. Since I failed my degree is capped at a pass. I am going to try and get work in my business area and try go from there,

I can see how frustrated it can be, hope the business works out and that the degree helps in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

I'm in DCU and when we receive our second semester exam results a failure can be brought up to a pass due to better results in other subjects. You should check out is that the case in your university. The fact you completed your degree is an admirable trait and a bit of personality can go further than a socially inept straight A's student when it comes to landing a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Experience is better than any 2.1 today OP. You can always go back to Ed any day. But its experience in the real world that counts.

Advertisement