Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harness advice

• 01-03-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Want to get our little lad a harness for walking, would anyone have any advice? Am I best to bring him to be measured? Or would you know where I measure him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Harnesses come in small medium and large and sizes can vary from brand to brand. The size for your dog will be determined by the weight. The back of each harness pack will details what size of dog it is best suited to.

We use a halti but that is just because our guy would jump on people we meet on our walk so a halti and training curtails this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

stickybean wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Want to get our little lad a harness for walking, would anyone have any advice? Am I best to bring him to be measured? Or would you know where I measure him?

it all depends what kind of harness you want. There are people that make harnesses for individual dogs, so they would need your dog's measurements. Willows leads on FB do lovely harnesses, you can choose the colour and Sarah will make it to your measurements. there is a lady in wicklow that makes harnesses as well now, I don't know if she has a website or FB page, but I could put you in touch with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

i got a leather harness made for my dog at goodwins saddlery in mulhuddart cost, €50 or thereabouts just brought the dog up they measured him and it was ready in a week, its as good now as the day i got it two years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I just wanted the harness for walking him, he isn't great on a lead and I think the harness would make things a bit easier during walks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

stickybean wrote: »
    I just wanted the harness for walking him, he isn't great on a lead and I think the harness would make things a bit easier during walks.

If your dog is pulling on the collar and lead, a normal, traditional harness will probably not impove things, and could even make it worse!
    The front-connection type harness is a better job. A correctly fitted one will gently and effectively reduce or stop pulling in most dogs. In dogs which don't stop pulling with it, it usually reduces the pulling to the extent that active loose-lead-walking training becomes a more viable option.
    There are a few different brands, some fit some dogs better than others. The Easy Walk is one, the Halti Harness, the Sense-Ation harness are others. I use a Perfect Fit Harness with a front connection ring, with a double ended training lead, which I love, but I'm not so sure it'd be as effective on a hard-pulling dog as the aforementioned brands are. It's a different style and shape, and not intended as a non-pull design, but a comfortable working harness.
    Whatever harness you choose, and any harness is much better for your dog's throat and neck than any collar and lead, you'll need to do some active training on loose-lead walking, you should find a good bit of advice about this online, YouTube etc.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

So, Lola is getting bigger and stronger, can anyone recommend a good site to get a quality harness from? thanks!

(sorry to hijack thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

You can bring your dog into any maxi zoo shop, there is a large selection of colours, sizes and designs. I walk both of mine in harnesses bought from there and they're great, really good prices too ;) they will fit up your dog then and there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You can bring your dog into any maxi zoo shop, there is a large selection of colours, sizes and designs. I walk both of mine in harnesses bought from there and they're great, really good prices too ;) they will fit up your dog then and there

If you like one in Maxi-price Zoo get it fitted then go and order it from zooplus and save some €€'s :pac: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

tk123 wrote: »
    If you like one in Maxi-price Zoo get it fitted then go and order it from zooplus and save some €€'s :pac: ;)

I don't like zoo plus I'd rather buy then and there over waiting on it to be delivered only to find it doesn't suit, sizing is wrong, cuts into the dog etc. I would prefer the option of immediate return either for money or another product, over having to send it back getting another product in 2 weeks time and nit even knowing if that would suit.

Give me maxi zoo anyday :D

(Yes as you can tell ive had bad experiences buying pet stuff online)

Advertisement