Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

b757 wrote: »
    Still 4701ft. They didn't extend it yet, nor get planning permission/funds to do so.

Plus I don't know where your getting your information from as it is most certainly incorrect.
    I was under the impression WAT's runway was meant to be finished in January. I got my information from am aviation site, I'll get links soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

AIP Ireland Waterford Updated 6th March.
    Not updated since.
    EIWF AD 2.12RUNWAY PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
    1433 M x 30 M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

man98 wrote: »
    I was under the impression WAT's runway was meant to be finished in January. I got my information from am aviation site, I'll get links soon.

I think it was resurfaced recently, no extension though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Figures for July are out.

WAT-BHX; 2361 Pax, 69 per flight, 89% LF
    WAT-MAN; 1444 Pax, 55 per flight, 71% LF

Pity MAN is ending at the end of October.

Figures for July are out.

WAT-BHX; 2361 Pax, 69 per flight, 89% LF
    WAT-MAN; 1444 Pax, 55 per flight, 71% LF

Pity MAN is ending at the end of October.

MAN is ending? When was that announced? Now that I think, I know no one who has flown to MAN...

• Advertisement

MAN is ending? When was that announced? Now that I think, I know no one who has flown to MAN...

The timetable for the MAN flights suggest it is. Every other route has flights going to the end of March. MAN was previously September, but it was then put forward to October.

http://www.flybe.com/timetableClassic/timetable.jsp?selDep=WAT&selDest=MAN

Not officially been announced, but it is most likely. Either ending or just going seasonal.

71% Load Factors aren't great, especially in July. Since Flybe posted a profit last year, maybe they'll keep it on 3 weekly seasonal? I noticed they were flying it 3 weekly a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

71% Load Factors aren't great, especially in July. Since Flybe posted a profit last year, maybe they'll keep it on 3 weekly seasonal? I noticed they were flying it 3 weekly a few months back.

It is good and well within Flybes average, BE operate a lot routes with loads of 50-60%. I think the loads were less than 50% in July 2013.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It is good and well within Flybes average, BE operate a lot routes with loads of 50-60%. I think the loads were less than 50% in July 2013.
    Where do you get the numbers for these stats? I'd be interested to take a look at them. Also, I see 70% LFs as industry standard and if MAN only gets that in July, I hope June and August do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I didn't even know Waterford had an airport! And ye want an extension. There's too many airports as there is

• Advertisement

I didn't even know Waterford had an airport! And ye want an extension. There's too many airports as there is

You're right there's too damn many. There should be only one airport for the whole country. Preferably near me........

Out of curiosity how many airports did you think there was?

Waterford is necessary, a 2:30 journey to Dublin Airport is a tad much for me thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Growler!!! wrote: »
    You're right there's too damn many. There should be only one airport for the whole country. Preferably near me........

Out of curiosity how many airports did you think there was?
    One

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I believe there was one Sunday Manchester return flight cancelled in July due the aircraft going tech and no replacement available. These flights were pretty much full in and out so if you add those to the MAN figure it gives you a load factor of 80% for July. When your dealing with small figures to begin with then one flight can make a huge difference!

August will show close to 90% load factor for both routes, but then again if you can't fill planes in August you may as well give up!

One

Cooork Regional Airport :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Some wishful thinking on this thread, only new routes from WAT you'll see anytime soon is probably Stobart back to LTN or SEN or maybe additional BE flights. I'm sorry but talk of BA, FR, EZY & more at WAT is total fantasy talk. Anyone remember RE's GWY-WAT-AMS route with an ex WX 146? Wasn't exactly a success was it.

EICVD wrote: »
    Some wishful thinking on this thread, only new routes from WAT you'll see anytime soon is probably Stobart back to LTN or SEN or maybe additional BE flights. I'm sorry but talk of BA, FR, EZY & more at WAT is total fantasy talk. Anyone remember RE's GWY-WAT-AMS route with an ex WX 146? Wasn't exactly a success was it.

Very true.

Although I believe the problem with AMS and the other routes was the aircraft itself, not the loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Very true.

Although I believe the problem with AMS and the other routes was the aircraft itself, not the loads.

The ATR is a perfect aircraft for Ireland to the UK as the distance is not that far, and time differences on faster aircraft are negligabla. Beyond that however the speed difference does have an effect.

I accept your argument but I added BA and EZ in for argument's sake. There's a reason Easyjet have never touched Ireland, but I'll still remain optimistic about some form of service to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I just looked it up there and currently 7 flights a week land in Waterford, 3 from Manchester and 4 from Birmingham, too be honest never even knew Waterford had an airport and ye want an extension? We already have International airports Cork, Shannon and Dublin, 2 in Belfast, Donegal, Kerry, Knock, Sligo? And is there more? And ye want an extension? Are ye mad men or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ATR is a perfect aircraft for Ireland to the UK as the distance is not that far, and time differences on faster aircraft are negligabla. Beyond that however the speed difference does have an effect.

It wasn't an ATR to AMS. It was a very elderly BAe 146 on (wet, I think) lease.
    I accept your argument but I added BA and EZ in for argument's sake. There's a reason Easyjet have never touched Ireland, but I'll still remain optimistic about some form of service to London.

U2 did try Ireland, and were driven off by clearly non-profitable ticket dumping by FR

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/easyjet-launches-gatwick-services-to-knock-shannon-and-cork-airports-25899234.html
    I just looked it up there and currently 7 flights a week land in Waterford, 3 from Manchester and 4 from Birmingham, too be honest never even knew Waterford had an airport and ye want an extension? We already have International airports Cork, Shannon and Dublin, 2 in Belfast, Donegal, Kerry, Knock, Sligo? And is there more? And ye want an extension? Are ye mad men or what

Sligo is long closed to commercial traffic.

A runway extension would allow A319 or load-limited 737-800s to operate and hence allow mainline operators to consider flying to WAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

I'm heading up to Waterford today with the camera. What are the chances of seeing anything takeoff or land?

protog777 wrote: »
    I'm heading up to Waterford today with the camera. What are the chances of seeing anything takeoff or land?

Pretty good if you bother having a look on the airport website;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 me leg

I think i saw a plane land there last week ...

facebook.com/waterford.aviation

Don't Flybe have 2 aircraft coming in today? God forbid the Coastguard S-92 gets called out.
    Also, €400k is all Waterford Airport needs to extend the runway, some of which has been secured. It's nothing like a new €1bn terminal like Dublin's. Waterford has potential, 2012 LFs to London show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Waterford has potential, 2012 LFs to London show that.

I have always felt that - people argue that it is only two/two and a half hours from Dublin and this counts against it. To me this is also an advantage as if marketed correctly it can make use of this. It has the potential to be a nice little base to the UK for alot of south Leinster - given the motorways I would argue as far north as South Dublin.

I must confess a slight fondness for Waterford having spent as many years as I can remember holidaying in Tramore, and seeing Ryanair fly in there as a child.

Don't Flybe have 2 aircraft coming in today? God forbid the Coastguard S-92 gets called out.
    Also, €400k is all Waterford Airport needs to extend the runway, some of which has been secured. It's nothing like a new €1bn terminal like Dublin's. Waterford has potential, 2012 LFs to London show that.

They do indeed, was down in Tramore two Sundays ago & saw both BE flights depart.

I have always felt that - people argue that it is only two/two and a half hours from Dublin and this counts against it. To me this is also an advantage as if marketed correctly it can make use of this. It has the potential to be a nice little base to the UK for alot of south Leinster - given the motorways I would argue as far north as South Dublin.
    I
    I must confess a slight fondness for Waterford having spent as many years as I can remember holidaying in Tramore, and seeing Ryanair fly in there as a child.

Have a slight fondness for WAT myself for the same reason, don't remember the FR flights though. It was BA J-41's & Suckling Airways DO-228's. Anyone remember where those flights originated from? IIRC the BA flight was from STN?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It wasn't an ATR to AMS. It was a very elderly BAe 146 on (wet, I think) lease.

The ATR did operate Amsterdam outside of the peak months and leading up to the closure. They even sent the ATR to Bordeaux. Looking back these sun routes did really well and were really expensive. With a better cost base they could return one day. All the European routes from GWY were epic fails.
    Where do you get the numbers for these stats? I'd be interested to take a look at them. Also, I see 70% LFs as industry standard and if MAN only gets that in July, I hope June and August do better.

70-80% for jet operators. BE only need around 25-30 pax to break even on Dash 8. Plenty of EIR routes have loads of 50-70% during peak summer. I think the ATR72 need 24 pax to break even.

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    Have a slight fondness for WAT myself for the same reason, don't remember the FR flights though. It was BA J-41's & Suckling Airways DO-228's. Anyone remember where those flights originated from? IIRC the BA flight was from STN?
    I believe they came from Gloucester along with others.
    I must confess a slight fondness for Waterford Airport because it seems easier and quicker to get to and, and through than Cork or Dublin, that 15 minutes is enough time to make it through. I've never needed to fly there, and I rarely fly, so I've never used it although I'd use it if needs be. It needs routes for people to use in the first place to raise the profile. I feel Waterford would benefit from small regional airlines, with a personal feel to them. They have heart which Ryanair haven't,airlines like Cityjet or like Aer Arann was, except their ATRs didn't have a great reputation.

Advertisement