Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Just to add to the confusion, there is another announcement "in the air" regarding two continental niche routes and a training service - but heels are being dragged ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

There is a training school in Waterford as it is. Manchester- Knock is being suspended. Manchester - Waterford is merely speculation, which could easily be true. The summer timetable is being released on the 9th. This is all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plane Fan

Just to add to the confusion, there is another announcement "in the air" regarding two continental niche routes and a training service - but heels are being dragged ...

Sounds good if all involved would meet halfway any idea to where?/ potential time of announcement if all goes well?
    There is a training school in Waterford as it is. Manchester- Knock is being suspended. Manchester - Waterford is merely speculation, which could easily be true. The summer timetable is being released on the 9th. This is all I know.

Sounds good cheers!

I've heard this too, that there is a genuine proposal for two completely new routes in the spring but the details remain to be confirmed. The CEO will be travelling to Waterford in a couple of weeks or so I hear. I suppose we'll just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

.... there is another announcement "in the air" regarding two continental niche routes and a training service - but heels are being dragged ... I've heard this too, that there is a genuine proposal for two completely new routes in the spring but the details remain to be confirmed...

Hi All

Someone is feeding you false information, there are no continental routes/genuine proposal for two new routes on the horizon. The best we can hope for is that MAN pops back up in the flybe booking engine and that London returns.

There will be an announcement this week in relation to a new training school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

man98 wrote: »
    Manchester- Knock is being suspended.

Sorry, I realise this is slightly off the topic of Waterford, but where did you hear this?

cgill wrote: »
    Sorry, I realise this is slightly off the topic of Waterford, but where did you hear this?

Unconfirmed rumours, which I'm honestly not sure about. We'll just have to wait and see. Loads seem fine on it.

air2000 wrote: »
    Someone is feeding you false information, there are no continental routes/genuine proposal for two new routes on the horizon.

Not false ... just not (yet) being given priority by WAT over a route to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not false ... just not (yet) being given priority by WAT over a route to London.

You say that as if theres a chance of a London route coming soon.............or maybe its wishful thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

You say that as if theres a chance of a London route coming soon.............or maybe its wishful thinking!

Wishful thinking bit still a good possibility however continental routes very wishful thinking!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Johnny901

I would think that any airport in Waterford's position would give a Cead Mile Failte to any company offering any prospects of a scheduled service. I would think they would fall over themselves if that company was offering two viable continental services. Wonder what the story there is ? Just another rumour with no truth to it I think.

I wish Waterford well, hate to see them go down the same road as Galway. In the days when Aer Arann did Galway to Luton it was always said that the Waterford to Luton was one of the best performing Aer Arann routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Any danger that this is the continental routes we are talking about?

No, I'm saying it in the belief that there is no economic case to be made for a Waterford-London route, and the obsession with trying to make it happen is stifling attempts to do something much more creative for/with Waterford.

@notharrypotter: could be! :cool:

Feck it. Ye might as well know that there was an offer made to base an aircraft at Waterford, operated by a known but not mainstream carrier, providing twice-weekly flights for **small numbers** of passengers to a number of ultra-short-haul destinations (<1hr flight time) with the option to connect to onward "inaccessible" destinations in the UK and on the continent, plus a series of limited availability "adventure" flights. A minimum of twelve movements per week. However, it was indicated that "London" is the priority, so that offer is currently off the table and being reformulated for another airport.

A related service is instead being proposed, inbound traffic from two more distant destinations, effectively nothing more than a request for permission to land, reduced now to four movements per week and all relevant personnel brought in from outside. Four Waterford-based organisations are involved to a certain extent, but not in any aviation-related way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Waterford to Birmingham is only bookable up to March 27th now and MAN looks like it's gone!
    Not good news at all

BHX was bookable through the summer before, and they won't be overlooking 90% load factors, netter than most routes. If they're dropping it I doubt they'd have announced an upgrade to an E175 next summer.

BHX was bookable through the summer before, and they won't be overlooking 90% load factors, netter than most routes. If they're dropping it I doubt they'd have announced an upgrade to an E175 next summer.

Exactly what I thought but it's unbookable after March and so is NOC to BHX!
    It looks like it's going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Flybe gone from April announced at city council meeting I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Unfortunate news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Bad news. Hard too see it recovering. At best it will be new Sligo at worst Galway. Still hold out hope that another carrier will move in but I just dont see who will right now. Any reason giving for Flybe pulling the plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

"In line with common airline industry practice, Flybe carefully reviews the economic viability of all these routes on a regular basis looking not only at passenger numbers but also at external cost pressures. This is done not only to monitor where we can offer an increased regularity on a given route but also where passenger numbers make a flight economically and environmentally harder to justify. On rare occasions, a decision is taken to withdraw a route. While obviously regrettable for inconvenienced passengers, Flybe believes this to be a more responsible way to manage a very complex business"

Response I received from them today.

First off, eco friendly my hole. Secondly, they've cut Reykjavik, Cologne, Milan and Mallorca among others today. The pattern being leisure destinations.

Still hold out hope that another carrier will move in but I just dont see who will right now.

I do ;) ... but it all depends on the people and businesses of Waterford getting fully involved, and being prepared to think outside the Lo-Co box.

And to be proud of all their city has to offer. It shouldn't be outsiders selling it as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Looks like the M9 is doing the same to Waterford as the M8 is doing to Cork.

Not a problem with the M9. Remember it goes both ways. FlyBe made money on Waterford, just not as much as they could elsewhere. Same reason Aer Lingus Regional left. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ireland needs a replacement for Aer Arann, except a more structured one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Not a problem with the M9. Remember it goes both ways. FlyBe made money on Waterford, just not as much as they could elsewhere. Same reason Aer Lingus Regional left. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ireland needs a replacement for Aer Arann, except a more structured one.
    For what? O'Leary to jump on it and drive out of business before it get's going.

roundymac wrote: »
    For what? O'Leary to jump on it and drive out of business before it get's going.

Could you expand on your thinking please. I don't see how Mo'L could drive out business.

In my opinion, there is certainly a niche market to filled on lower pax routes from Waterford, Cork and Knock. The only possible resistance would be EI Regional (who've all but abandoned these airports) and Flybe (who have no presence in these airports. As proven by Flybe, Waterford - Manchester and Birmingham do make money. Not an awful amount, but profit is profit at the end of the day. Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and Luton could be feasibly served with many planes. Embraer 120, Jetstream 41, Dash 8-100/200/300, Dash 6 or Let 410s could easily cover most of these services, which Aer Arann left behind after being enslaved by the DAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

How were Aer Arann enslaved to the DAA?

Advertisement