Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Cork has a CATII with 300 meters, CATI with 550m RVR, and CATI on 35 with 750m.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

Looks like their reducing the frequency of all flights according to the paper today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

AviationUK wrote: »
    Looks like their reducing the frequency of all flights according to the paper today!

What paper?

They're usually reductions around the winter season, so it's expected really. 8 weekly DEC-14 March on the Luton route. Been like that on the schedule for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If there's some reductions for the summer season, could it be to pave the way for new routes to MAN and EDI?

Oct '15

WAT BHX - 841 50% LF
    WAT-LTN - 3102 59% LF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lockheed

b757 wrote: »
    Oct '15

WAT BHX - 841 50% LF
    WAT-LTN - 3102 59% LF

That's a good improvement. Hopefully we see it pick up for the Christmas season

Denim Air Embraer 145 operating the flights for VLM into Waterford for next couple of days.

Currently enroute to Waterford from BHX on the VG424.

PH-DND.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Denim Air Embraer 145 operating the flights for VLM into Waterford for next couple of days.

PH-DND.

Nice change for people and something unusual for Waterford. Presume the F50s are getting a bit of a NCT done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

PH-DND.

Nice aircraft... I flew on a Luxair one about a year ago. Small though - you can touch both sides if your span is wide enough!

http://www.airliners.net/search/linkhere.php?id=2744629

PH-DND.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ph-dnd/#867d590

Was it really scheduled for WAT? Or was it just a FR24 error. If it was bound for WAT, I wonder why it turned back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Carnacalla wrote: »
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ph-dnd/#867d590

Was it really scheduled for WAT? Or was it just a FR24 error. If it was bound for WAT, I wonder why it turned back!

According to the Waterford News & Star Twitter account:
    VLM flight from Birmingham to Waterford delayed several hours. Departed but returned to Birmingham due to water on runway in Waterford.

Flooded or just a little bit of standing water?
    Also would the flight not be better to divert to say Cork and then continue onto WAT later? Less inconvenience for PAX?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Looks to be bound for DUB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will depart DUB for LTN tonight and return to WAT tomorrow form LTN (today's) and operate another round trip.

Also would the flight not be better to divert to say Cork and then continue onto WAT later? Less inconvenience for PAX?

I'd say the trip on the bus from Dublin to Waterford by road would be easier for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

N25 was/is flooded and closed, bos to Dublin would be more less exact sane as to Cork.

EIWF is a bitch of a place when it rains like it has done. All of alpha taxiway gets waterlogged and hidden under a pool. They had to park a netjets citation on the bravo taxiway/holding point a few weeks back when the storms hit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

VG31 wrote: »

It's not good news. Strange that they would cease it at that time of the year. Surely going into the busy summer season you would expect an increase in passengers rather than running it through the winter months. Didn't VLM pull other flights out of Birmingham as well?

VLM never made the most sense as an airline anyway.

LTN down to 1x daily too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭pavb2

VG31 wrote: »
    I used this route every month couldn't fault VLM or Waterford airport but the flight was never full probably averaged 20 people per flight on my trips. Might have a look at Luton Waterford now as the journey down from Dublin is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭pavb2

To expand on my previous post I've found Waterford to be a great airport completely stress free, minimal queues, friendly staff no hassle at passport control. As a frequent flyer I could have got cheaper flights but was happy to pay more for the convenience.

I remember one time I'd cut it a bit fine and got to the airport with no time to spare fortunately there was no problem and I was allowed on, I'm convinced they knew I was coming and delayed the take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

There's obviously a demand for the London routes. Just not enough to fill an ATR or Fokker 50. Would it not make more sense for an airline operating EMB120, Saab 340, or Beechcraft 1900's on these routes?

Business opportunity anybody?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

icv1111 wrote: »
    There's obviously a demand for the London routes. Just not enough to fill an ATR or Fokker 50. Would it not make more sense for an airline operating EMB120, Saab 340, or Beechcraft 1900's on these routes?

I think with the right price and right marketing the could easily fill a daily ATR72, Dash 8 it F50

icv1111 wrote: »

I know people don't like hearing it but if the runway was long enough and Ryanair was there you'd see the passenger's using it. People are price sensitive, even if they don't take into account the cost of travelling to Dublin, paying extra for baggage, parking/public transport etc... and before anyone says it I know ryanair drive a hard bargain with airport operators.

LTN down to 1x daily too?

WAT is really dying a slow, drawn out, painful death.

Just checked a random day in May. 25th running twice daily although the price even with the extras and time saving for those in the region compared to Dublin is a bit pricy at €231.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Random irrelevant sniping between fr336 and Carnacalla deleted.
    Dont ruin another thread with your back and forth bickering.

Possible funding for the runway going ahead. Extra €10 million allocated to the regional airports.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/independent-td-got-funds-for-runway-in-government-deal-1.2654100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The sub-headline - John Halligan secured millions in extra subsidies for extension at Waterford Airport - is maybe a bit misleading, how much of the 10 million will go to Waterford? The other funding for regional airports had already been allocated. Maybe a case of a politician claiming he has achieved more here than he actually has?

That said, Waterford Airport will never have any serious scope for development unless they can achieve a longer runway - maybe this can be the catalyst for an extension to happen.

Advertisement