Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Johnny901

man98 wrote: »
    During the winter they were diverting quite often I noticed. I didn't realise there was ILS on RWY 21, thought it was just a VOR DME beacon. The minimum viability at Waterford is quite high so not only during the storms, but also in generally poor weather they were some diversions. As regards Halligan's funding, we'll wait and see. The flights were bookable via a third party website for €130 however, and I was quite tempted to use it this summer. Pity about it all.

The minima for the ILS at Waterford is not high it is standard ILS Cat One. (200ft 800m) the airport is at sea level 119 ft so they don't have many poor visibility / low cloud base related diversions. Crosswinds this winter have been the issue for Irish Airports.

There is no VOR at the airport (all the info for Waterford is on their website)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

WAT is regularly subjected to Fog and mist.

Last scheduled passenger commercial flight departed at 14:35. The aircraft did not return to WAT this evening, but instead positioned to Rotterdam. That's the end of passenger ops at WAT for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Last scheduled passenger commercial flight departed at 14:35. The aircraft did not return to WAT this evening, but instead positioned to Rotterdam. That's the end of passenger ops at WAT for the foreseeable future.
    That's very sad, has WAT ever been in the situation before? Where there are no pax flights ?

Locker10a wrote: »
    That's very sad, has WAT ever been in the situation before? Where there are no pax flights ?

There was a month between Flybe finishing in March and VLM starting in April last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

There was a month between Flybe finishing in March and VLM starting in April last year.
    I guess flybe are WAT's only hope now ?

I guess flybe are WAT's only hope now ?

Maybe Stobart? They are axing a few routes from Dublin in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Maybe Stobart? They are axing a few routes from Dublin in October.

Doesn't appear that Waterford would suit Stobarts business model although they may surprise us. Although if they flew in Aer Lingus Regional colours with good prices the route may well work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This all happened very quickly. In the space of a week Waterford has gone from looking at double daily London flights for the summer and foreseeable future beyond that to no scheduled services. Hopefully something can be found but if Stobart, Flybe and VLM have all tried and failed it's hard to know who can step in now to make a service work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

According to someone on PPrune WAT have been talking to other airlines for a few months now - they reckon four which I find hard to believe, but who knows. I guess the Stobart situation in Dublin could be a faint positive for WAT but...

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    According to someone on PPrune WAT have been talking to other airlines for a few months now - they reckon four which I find hard to believe, but who knows. I guess the Stobart situation in Dublin could be a faint positive for WAT but...

Four? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stobart/flybe to return, bmi regional and Eastern all make sense to try convince / incentivise and make 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Is there a market for shipping food, such as fresh seafood, out of there, with a cargo operator? It might surprise you to know how much seafood is shipped by air from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

VLM has filed for bankruptcy today

https://flyvlm.com/

Bsal wrote: »
    VLM has filed for bankruptcy today

https://flyvlm.com/

May work in Waterfords favour to say the company was a failure and not the Luton route?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

How many people were flying in/out weekly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2016/09/14/minister-ross-announces-funding-for-waterford-airport/#.V9kvyS0nUxY.facebook

Funding for periphery and auxiliary services dependent on a carrier coming in.

Any of ye guys hear anything on the grapevine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Rumour over on Pprune that flights to London will resume in March....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fr336 wrote: »
    Rumour over on Pprune that flights to London will resume in March....

It came from here!

Yes unfortunately the PPRUNE rumour is just echoing the Waterford City Forum post/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

:D:D
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It came from here!

Must be true so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

Nice visitor to Waterford over the holidays.

G-BEXW Piper PA-28-181 Archer II John O'Keefe
    SP-MRC SAAB 340A IG Avion / Skytaxi

Pictures
    G-BEXW https://flic.kr/p/PwEK85
    SP-MRC https://flic.kr/p/QKyxLL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Kenny2012 wrote: »

Pictures

Managed to get inside that Saab, badly needs a lick of paint/wash. :pac:

Brought in a crowd of people from the UK to go hunting in the Southeast for a couple of days.

b757 wrote: »
    Kenny2012 wrote: »

Pictures

Managed to get inside that Saab, badly needs a lick of paint/wash. :pac:

Brought in a crowd of people from the UK to go hunting in the Southeast for a couple of days.

Lovely plane, saw it coming in over the house,wonder did anyone say to them any chance of a regular taxi over and back to London :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You might have a chance - they've just dropped two services (out of three) to/from my local airport due to "disappointing" forward bookings. Might have helped if they'd adverstised ... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would imagine they've been in serious discussions with every possible operator since the day VLM said they were leaving.

The claims by VLM, Flybe and Stobart that the route was profitable - VLM hitting the wall and the others legitimately saying they had other more profitable routes - may help a little but that's it. Don't give much value to a single sourceless story, basically.

L1011 wrote: »
    I would imagine they've been in serious discussions with every possible operator since the day VLM said they were leaving.

The claims by VLM, Flybe and Stobart that the route was profitable - VLM hitting the wall and the others legitimately saying they had other more profitable routes - may help a little but that's it. Don't give much value to a single sourceless story, basically.

Especially off unreputable sources, I've never heard of FOSA before, infact the only FOSA I know of is a group called "Friends of Shannon Airport" ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JCX BXC wrote:
    Especially off unreputable sources, I've never heard of FOSA before, infact the only FOSA I know of is a group called "Friends of Shannon Airport" ironically.

The site quoted is Fora, not Fosa. ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

JCX BXC wrote: »

Fora is the business wing of TheJournal.ie.

Advertisement