Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The site quoted is Fora, not Fosa. ]

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ya I agree regarding the source I put up. Fora is linked to thejournal which I think is a borderline click bait site. But like to share as much regarding Waterford airport as I can

Taken from PPRuNe

"New carrier called Lipican Aer (will also be marketed as Aer Southeast) have applied for a 4 weekly MAN-WAT with Saab 340. Also applied for daily LTN-WAT and 3 weekly BHX-WAT."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slovenian. Suitable aircraft for the routes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    Slovenian. Suitable aircraft for the routes anyway

Not at all, will fail again...

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not at all, will fail again...

I'd be inclined to agree, but in an operational sense it is a suitable aircraft for the route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

When KIR can manage 5 weekly to STN and 7 weekly to LTN on a 737 surely WAT can manage some bit with a Saab 340?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

marno21 wrote: »
    When KIR can manage 5 weekly to STN and 7 weekly to LTN on a 737 surely WAT can manage some bit with a Saab 340?

all about the price...

Kerry is slightly more isolated from the other airports than Waterford is, and has a longer runway, allowing Ryanair operations.

Problem with a Saab 340 is that fares will be high, and the airline is relatively unknown.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Kerry is slightly more isolated from the other airports than Waterford is, and has a longer runway, allowing Ryanair operations.

Problem with a Saab 340 is that fares will be high, and the airline is relatively unknown.
    Fair point, but surely there are 30 or whatever people a day willing to use WAT to get to London?

• Advertisement

Fair point, but surely there are 30 or whatever people a day willing to use WAT to get to London?

I'm sure there is, but how many of them are willing to pay the high fares?

The very poor VLM loads were testament to this.

I'm sure there is, but how many of them are willing to pay the high fares?

The very poor VLM loads were testament to this.

I don't think vlm loads where very poor. I don't have the figures but I'm sure they where decent.

This current venture is another vlm i dear, however if it works out in getting the govt funds released that the airport where told of once a commercial operator came it is a massive plus

dzilla wrote: »
    I don't think vlm loads where very poor. I don't have the figures but I'm sure they where decent.

This current venture is another vlm i dear, however if it works out in getting the govt funds released that the airport where told of once a commercial operator came it is a massive plus

Just an example of the loads that I found on this thread
    PAX Stats September 2015

WAT-BHX 761 Pax 45% LF
    WAT-LTN 2881 Pax 55% LF

Oct '15

WAT BHX - 841 50% LF
    WAT-LTN - 3102 59% LF

PAX Stats September 2015

WAT-BHX 761 Pax 45% LF
    WAT-LTN 2881 Pax 55% LF

Oct '15

WAT BHX - 841 50% LF
    WAT-LTN - 3102 59% LF

Thanks for sharing. I hope the new airline Dosent have the same fate and gets loads of over 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

PAX Stats September 2015

WAT-BHX 761 Pax 45% LF
    WAT-LTN 2881 Pax 55% LF

Oct '15

WAT BHX - 841 50% LF
    WAT-LTN - 3102 59% LF

59% on roughly 12 flights per week is approx 52 per day. It's not far of a stretch of the imagine to say they can sell 30 seats on a Saab 340, even given the fact you can't return in the same day. I have high hopes for this venture, though I'm not sure whether or not it will be successful.

man98 wrote: »
    59% on roughly 12 flights per week is approx 52 per day. It's not far of a stretch of the imagine to say they can sell 30 seats on a Saab 340, even given the fact you can't return in the same day. I have high hopes for this venture, though I'm not sure whether or not it will be successful.

What makes this venture set out from the rest?

And in regards to your figures, there was on average 30 people per flight in October, so up to 120 a day on average.

Problem here is, you won't get all these 30 people on a Saab 340 as the lead in fares will be higher, a general rule is that the more seats an aircraft has, the more lower fares available.

And not having a day return I'd imagine would also curtail these numbers.

Hopefully it'll work, and fair play to Waterford for getting routes with no subsidy. The route doesn't have much going for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Any aviation experts on here hazard a guess of what the fares would be on this route(if it gets the go ahead that is).

Any aviation experts on here hazard a guess of what the fares would be on this route(if it gets the go ahead that is).

Similar to VLM I'd imagine if not higher, around €150 return would be a reasonable average I'd say.

As the airline in question isn't really established, I don't know their pricing structure. If hold baggage and complementary on board catering isn't offered they could be a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Similar to VLM I'd imagine if not higher, around €150 return would be a reasonable average I'd say.

As the airline in question isn't really established, I don't know their pricing structure. If hold baggage and complementary on board catering isn't offered they could be a little cheaper.

Thanks. In line with what I was thinking I suppose which isnt good.
    That's a hard sell to a population used to very low fares. A family of four paying €600 for a service to go to Manchester is going to struggle.

The fake-Irish marketing name at least suggests they will actually *try* some marketing; which VLM barely did at all.

• Advertisement

The fake-Irish marketing name at least suggests they will actually *try* some marketing; which VLM barely did at all.

Does it? They've been around since 2010 operating in Slovenia, could it just be a coincidence?

Does it? They've been around since 2010 operating in Slovenia, could it just be a coincidence?

"Southeast Aer" appears to be a new marketing name for this; only reference anywhere I can find to it is a very recently registered Ltd company based at WAT.

Aer is the correct spelling for Slovenia so there's a bit of luck there anyway.

"Southeast Aer" appears to be a new marketing name for this; only reference anywhere I can find to it is a very recently registered Ltd company based at WAT.

Aer is the correct spelling for Slovenia so there's a bit of luck there anyway.

Interesting, sounds like they may be planning for the long run.

What makes this venture set out from the rest?

And in regards to your figures, there was on average 30 people per flight in October, so up to 120 a day on average.

Problem here is, you won't get all these 30 people on a Saab 340 as the lead in fares will be higher, a general rule is that the more seats an aircraft has, the more lower fares available.

And not having a day return I'd imagine would also curtail these numbers.

Hopefully it'll work, and fair play to Waterford for getting routes with no subsidy. The route doesn't have much going for it though
    But the point is that VLM operated double daily. There's a certain level of support that will undoubtedly show from the business community, if this venture can push it further and create strong and continuous demand then there should be no issue with yield.

man98 wrote: »
    But the point is that VLM operated double daily. There's a certain level of support that will undoubtedly show from the business community, if this venture can push it further and create strong and continuous demand then there should be no issue with yield.

I don't understand your point, could you rephrase it?

And I actually think I read somewhere that it's to be 10 weekly, meaning there's 2x return flights on three days of the week (I'd guess MON/WED/FRI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Interesting...

https://twitter.com/WATairport/status/862234086760484865

Seems like even though there isn't a scheduled carrier, the airport is busy with private activity. That's a takeoff or landing every five minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

fricatus wrote: »
    Interesting...

https://twitter.com/WATairport/status/862234086760484865

Seems like even though there isn't a scheduled carrier, the airport is busy with private activity. That's a takeoff or landing every five minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.

Lot of traffic but realistically how much revenue does it actually generate?
    Bear in mind this is Ireland and VFR weather is not everyday either.

This VLM facebook post did not go unnoticed by me https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=707671146079566&id=311450779034940
    One would wonder what the chances are that the rumoured air services were from a Slovenian airline and that VLM now have a Slovenian AOC, never heard it being used as a flag of convenience either. I do hope this means something for us.

• Advertisement

http://aersoutheast.com

Just came across this website,

Doubt they'll be using an A320 though :) (as is in the photo)

Advertisement