Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty sure the slot applications they did were for Saab 340s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    http://aersoutheast.com

Just came across this website,

Doubt they'll be using an A320 though :) (as is in the photo)

Website up and running is interesting. Wonder when(if) we can expect flights?

Another poster mentioned VLM facebook page(didn't realise they were back up and running!) but reading through the comments and they did respond to a query about Waterford and said they wouldnt be considering it as people found their flights too expensive and they lost money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Website up and running is interesting. Wonder when(if) we can expect flights?

Another poster mentioned VLM facebook page(didn't realise they were back up and running!) but reading through the comments and they did respond to a query about Waterford and said they wouldnt be considering it as people found their flights too expensive and they lost money on it.

The VLM connection may have been coincidence but a strange coincidence alright. If and when flights are announced I will however do my best to be on a flight out (I may however have pledged that about VLM too)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

n that regard, I am aware from Waterford Airport that commercial discussions with a potential new airline operator are currently at a very advanced stage. It is hoped that positive news on scheduled air services will be forthcoming in the near future.

From Ross in the Written Answers yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Waterford to Birmingham Manchester and Luton is back

From July 24

Waterford based airline called Aer southeast

Saab aircraft

Best of luck to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Have they got a web pge yet?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Luck won't cut it, it needs to succeed where everyone else has failed.

Unknown airline, with no history or safety record, announcing expensive, low frequency flights at short notice.

I can see how it'll go before it starts.

Luck won't cut it, it needs to succeed where everyone else has failed.

Unknown airline, with no history or safety record, announcing expensive, low frequency flights at short notice.

I can see how it'll go before it starts.

Flights are being operated by an established airline albeit not one you'd hear of here.

L1011 wrote: »
    Flights are being operated by an established airline albeit not one you'd hear of here.

AerSoutheast is an established airline? Really?

The head company may be established, but not Aer Southeast.

• Advertisement

AerSoutheast is an established airline? Really?

The head company may be established, but not Aer Southeast.

No, Aer Southeast are not operating the flights. LippicanAer from Slovenia are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just checked their website for flights in August to London Luton, From €199 to €299 per person return , Ryanair from Dublin €19.99 out and €53.99 back per person same dates, its pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just checked their website for flights in August to London Luton, From €199 to €299 per person return , Ryanair from Dublin €19.99 out and €53.99 back per person same dates, its pricey

You can't expect a new airline with one aircraft to be able to price their flights anything as low as Europe's biggest low-cost airline with a fleet of 300!

It's not like the Kerry/Donegal routes which are PSO so the price is kept low.

No, Aer Southeast are not operating the flights. LippicanAer from Slovenia are.

Do you have a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Storm 10 wrote: »

Priced a family of 5 this morning same dates and times going Waterford Luton against or normal Waterford Gatwick with Ryanair. €769 with aer south east against €520 with Ryanair. Throw in petrol and 4 days parking your up at about €560. Saving 4 hours travelling, shuttle bus hassle, Dublin airport summer queues and all that, it has appeal I gotta say

Do you have a link for this?

Lippican hold the slots they are using. Aer Southeast are not an airline - they do not have an AOC.

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/592732-lipican-aer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

thomasm wrote: »
    Priced a family of 5 this morning same dates and times going Waterford Luton against or normal Waterford Gatwick with Ryanair. €769 with aer south east against €520 with Ryanair. Throw in petrol and 4 days parking your up at about €560. Saving 4 hours travelling, shuttle bus hassle, Dublin airport summer queues and all that, it has appeal I gotta say

If the people of Waterford don't use this service it'll be gone soon enough.

DUB has much greater economies of scale, so of course it'll be cheaper.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Lippican hold the slots they are using. Aer Southeast are not an airline - they do not have an AOC.

Fair enough, Aer Southeast have a photoshopped image of an aircraft with their logo on it, giving the impression that they themselves were operating it.

Price it against Ryanair Luton from Dublin and I'd be very interested to know the results.

Also, €520 seems very expensive for Ryanair, did you pick very expensive flights? You can't be picky with the Waterford flights, so it's only fair not to be picky with the Dublin ones.

Fair enough, Aer Southeast have a photoshopped image of an aircraft with their logo on it, giving the impression that they themselves were operating it.

It may be painted in their logo - there's plenty of planes in Aer Lingus colours that are operated by someone else (Stobart/ASL); ditto the main airlines in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VG31 wrote: »
    You can't expect a new airline with one aircraft to be able to price their flights anything as low as Europe's biggest low-cost airline with a fleet of 300!

It's not like the Kerry/Donegal routes which are PSO so the price is kept low.

But in the cold hard economic world the ordinary punter will...they'll
    compare and use dublin if cheaper. Dub is about 50km future each way from where I live than WAT- with the pricing, choice and aircraft type on offer I just couldn't see myself switching.
    As a consumer/traveller I wish Waterford could offer more than just short hop (slow) propeller planes

"One of the emptiest motorways in Europe"...i assume this numpty is referring to the M9 with ADDT figures that are comparable with all other motorways in the country? It's getting really tiresome...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    "One of the emptiest motorways in Europe"...i assume this numpty is referring to the M9 with ADDT figures that are comparable with all other motorways in the country? It's getting really tiresome...
    "One of the emptiest motorways in Europe" is true enough though, compared to UK motorways. Not empty though in comparison to Irish motorways, and wait til the M17 opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Saving 4 hours travelling, shuttle bus hassle, Dublin airport summer queues and all that, it has appeal I gotta say

100%, not to mention all the extra walking distance with bags in the airport itself. Waterford airport is tiny and convenient. Shuttle bus adds an extra 30 mins each leg in Dublin between waiting for the bus and transiting on it.

I'd easily spend €150-€200 more to go from Waterford over Dublin if I was in the south east, scratching €50 of that in fuel cost savings. Hopefully the routes are well supported.

marno21 wrote: »
    "One of the emptiest motorways in Europe" is true enough though, compared to UK motorways. Not empty though in comparison to Irish motorways, and wait til the M17 opens.

Uk motorways are crazy though- they are an absolute nightmare to drive on and are thronged with traffic to the point where the UK doesn't have an effective motorway network.
    That's my point really, the M9 is picked on by the great unwashed and portrayed as an empty white elephant...the other MIUs with similar traffic levels are never categorised in thus way! Rant over

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/airline-yet-to-apply-for-irish-licence-stops-selling-tickets-1.3134403

Oops

Shows the structure they're going to use anyway - "tour operator" like Citywing paying an actual airline to operate the flight

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/airline-yet-to-apply-for-irish-licence-stops-selling-tickets-1.3134403

Oops

Shows the structure they're going to use anyway - "tour operator" like Citywing paying an actual airline to operate the flight

Not very re-assuring...where does that leave safety and maintenance requirements? Manx2 crash in Cork springs to my mind when I hear of these kind of set-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to fathom how they'd not be on top of something as fundamental as their Operating License? Surely that's fairly elementary, routine stuff in a regulated sector like air travel.
    Wouldn't inspire confidence in the other aspects of the business really would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

road_high wrote: »
    Hard to fathom how they'd not be on top of something as fundamental as their Operating License? Surely that's fairly elementary, routine stuff in a regulated sector like air travel.
    Wouldn't inspire confidence in the other aspects of the business really would it?

Hard to know. They could have applied in plenty of time by other countries' standards but had the application get bogged down here. No idea if that's the case but there are possible reasons other than incompetence.

Advertisement