Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Tinahely Duathlon Sunday 5th May 2013

Options
  • 01-03-2013 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Entries are now open on Triathlon Ireland for the Tinahely Duathlon 2013 (South Wicklow). €25 individual entry (€40 for 2-person relay team). Last years event was very successful, won by Noel Kavanagh in just under the hour. The three separate sections mean the course won't be congested, and is suitable for all spectrum of abilities (everything from TT to mountain bikes will be evident!). This is a 100% club event, any proceeds go towards growing our local Tri club, which is seeing a healthy increase in numbers joining:)

Course is a 5km run, 20km bike, 3km run, broken down as follows:
    5km run First half along backroads before entering a forest trail, and running along the riverbank to transition.
    20km bike Head into Tinahely village and begin a steep climb up and out to surrounding countryside. This will bring you along rolling hills and down to Shillelagh village, back up a few hills along Coolattin estate, before leveling off back to transition.
    3km run Out and back along another fast forest trail (road runners are suitable both trail sections).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Did this last year, very enjoyable hope to get there again this year

signed up now, anyone else down for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Poodlelover

Hi just seen your post, I am so disappointed I entered the Blackstairs Adventure race in Wexford on the same day. I was watching out for your race since Christmas and could not find any information on it, I did it last year and was hoping to improve on my time... hope you have a great day I will be thinking about you all while I try to run 10 km over the hills etc...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Do you expect this to sell out? Thinking about signing up but will have a better idea in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Basster wrote: »
    Do you expect this to sell out? Thinking about signing up but will have a better idea in a few weeks.

I'd expect it to sell out all right- entries are strictly limited to 130. Don't know what's left (I'll try and find out), but it seems to be a popular course with the speedy guys, and if the amount of bikes around here are anything to go by, there'll be a pretty large local contingent as well.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, sounds like I'd best get moving just to be on the safe side.

There's less than 40 places remaining, so this will reach its 130 limit very soon. The Tinahely Tri club website is down, but entries are open via TI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Speedmerchant

What time is it on at?

Finish work at 0900 in Waterford and hoping to make it.

What time is it on at?

Finish work at 0900 in Waterford and hoping to make it.

Start: 10.00am
    Check in from 7.45am

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Speedmerchant

Thanks!

Unlikely I'll make it.

• Advertisement

I was talking to some of the Tinahely lads during a run of the 1st and 3rd parts tonight- there's only about 10 places left if anyone was thinking of entering. Seems like its going to be ultra-competitive at the front of the pack, from some of the names of those entered.

A lot of the run is on forest trail, but its a solid compacted surface; road shoes will be just as good as trail shoes. The bike surface is decent enough; best on the downhill sections. There's a flat section just before and after Coolboy bridge that you might stay wide of the sides (potholes recently filled and the gravel hasn't fully compacted yet).

How hilly is the bike KG? I haven't been in that part of Wicklow before - do I need to leave the TT bike at home?!

Basster wrote: »
    How hilly is the bike KG? I haven't been in that part of Wicklow before - do I need to leave the TT bike at home?!

They are only rolling hills, certainly nothing like the hills most people think of in Wicklow (ie nowhere near comparison to Shay Elliot etc). Maybe a 50m climb over the first 1km from Tinahely, and then maybe 60m climb over 2km from Shillelagh.

Brilliant day for the Duathlon today down here, very well organized, it went off without a hitch. A very strong field up the front, loads of local heros throughout the field, the sun making a welcome appearance; sure what more could you want?:D

First three home were 1. National Duathlon Champion Cathal O'Donovan 2. Adam Kelly, 3. Matt Coughlan. Didn't catch the ladies winners, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Some of the locals on show here :D Well done all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157633407883295/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

One curious thing this morning. Organisers had the bike rakes for competitors which everyone chose to rack their bike on, except one which I noticed after the start of the run. Said bike was leaning against barrier at the exit of the run! Brief discussion amongst marshalls and we decided to rack it on the nearest rack. Didn't think it was fair for a bike to be parked so and to be honest the guy was chancing his arm I think. Turns out he was one of the lead guys and when he finished his run he wasn't pleased his bike was moved. We told him exactly where it was - it wasn't like we said find it over there somewhere. Narked would be the word for his reaction. ffs! Shouldn't he know to rack his bike on the racks like everyone else? He didn't lose but a few seconds and it wouldn't have been fair for him to have those few seconds on anyone else. He said he left the bike there last year too and it wasn't an issue. I guess if he repeats it next year he might be risking a dnf.

I thought the bike racking was very tight,but I agree 100% with what the marshals done in that case above. It was a great day for it!

anyone know where the results can be got from today?

anyone know where the results can be got from today?

I don't think they'll be available anywhere before they are hosted on the TI site.

Great race, really enjoyed this (even if I had a little trouble finding the village). Good local support and nice run and bike courses. Nice to meet Slogger and KG. I think I scraped 25th or so, will find out soon enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Hi all,
    the top three ladies were , Tamara Maxantova, Deirdre Hough and Niamh Stein.
    As for results we hope to get them from the timing company in the next day or so . Apologies for this :(
    Thanks once again to everyone who supported the event in this its' third year .

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I don't think they'll be available anywhere before they are hosted on the TI site.

Do you think you'll get times for this? It seemed he was under awful pressure on the day and I am starting to think he screwed up. A message from the organisers to fill us in wouldn't go astray.

And before anyone jumps on me...this was a brilliant race with the best organisation and marshalling that I've seen.
    Well done TTC

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Do you think you'll get times for this? It seemed he was under awful pressure on the day and I am starting to think he screwed up. A message from the organisers to fill us in wouldn't go astray.

And before anyone jumps on me...this was a brilliant race with the best organisation and marshalling that I've seen.
    Well done TTC

At this stage a message to know whats going on with the results would be an idea. Echo that Tinahely Tri Club did a great job but the fella in the Elite Timing van did seem under pressure.

still no sign of results?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Apologies for the delay in the results.
    We had hoped to post them up today but we need to sort out a few discrepancies before we issue them.
    We want to ensure that everything is correct before posting all results.
    Once again thanks to all who participated and supported the race this year.
    As soon as we have things sorted we'll post the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rusty81

Where and when will the results be posted! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Results have appeared on elite timing.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Results have appeared. Accuracy is an entirely different matter! Positions are wrong in some cases and the times for the first run are way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Results have appeared on elite timing.co.uk.

HAHAAAA Brilliant! My first run is olympic!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rusty81

Results are all over the place....

Advertisement