Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the song that you hate that everybody loves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

The Foo Fighters. Pick a song from them and that'll qualify. So bland and toneless and one dimensional. Cobain must face palm every time he hears them. Not that the masses of fans seem to care. One of life's little mysteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Kesha's music. Take a bath ffs! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Do They Know it's Good Friday Christmas?

Urghhhhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

well there is this modern one, it's like really fcuking bland and computerized? sterilized.. homogenized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

LasTime wrote: »

All their songs DO have the same simple happy vibe. I'm simply not into that

Apart from Yer Blues there is:
    Julia, John's song to his mother Julia, who died in a car accident when he was 17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EAqy1rUv7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

She's Leaving Home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lG3nXyI41M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    The Long and Winding Road http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUO7N-zSMYc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh yeah they all sound a lot like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" don't they? :|

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Apart from Yer Blues there is:
    Julia, John's song to his mother Julia, who died in a car accident when he was 17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EAqy1rUv7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

She's Leaving Home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lG3nXyI41M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    The Long and Winding Road http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUO7N-zSMYc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh yeah they all sound a lot like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" don't they? :|

I don't know if I'm going to listen to all those songs. I heard Julia before alright. Are you saying I'm wrong?

I don't know if I'm going to listen to all those songs. I heard Julia before alright. Are you saying I'm wrong?

Well I'm not saying your right :| I don't see how you can think of all of their songs as "happy" care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

This girl is on fire by alicia keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I don't know the name, but the beat it goes blip-blip-blip-blooooooop and the melody goes swish-swish-whoooooshhhh... like the sound one of them inflatable figurines where the air exits out their sleeves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Well I'm not saying your right :| I don't see how you can think of all of their songs as "happy" care to explain?

Some of the recent ones I heard, like "It wont be long" "Taste of Honey" "Here, There And Everywhere" "You're gonna lose that girl" "Do YOU wanna know a secret" either sounded gay, cheesy or happy!

I do admit they are a good band that brought about a change in music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Don't cha by pussycat dolls always hated it.

Some of the recent ones I heard, like "It wont be long" "Taste of Honey" "Here, There And Everywhere" "You're gonna lose that girl" "Do YOU wanna know a secret" either sounded gay, cheesy or happy!

Your opinion is your opinion and I can accept that but from their songs and their individual solo-work you can not describe their songs as "happy" when they're clearly not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Yer man from maroon 5 with 50 cent and eminem!

I'm ok with eminem, but the other two can feck off into space! >:( I HATE THEM BOTH!!! I have to turn off the radio when it comes on in the car!

Hatton SMASH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How does a song sound gay?

Suas11 wrote: »

You know I was going to say that but PC Police comments were going to flood in ;) Since when does a song have a sexual preference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

'Kaynya Feenya Fawll'.

Crap song , but gets people out of their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 One Of Shanks

Anything by Rihanna. Good lord. Its cruelty to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Anything by Elvis. Really don't care for his music.

Sinatra too, or any of those Rat-Pack crooner type singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

A bloke in work had some Clubland type channel on in work after hours. I don't listen to commercial radio, I used to listen to pirate techno stations, and there's a lot of that stuff I still think is great.
    Anyway, I heard some Calvin Harris and Swedish House Mafia tonight, absolute ****e. Unimaginative formulaic muck. Maybe it was just the tunes I heard by them, but boy, what I heard was by the numbers lowest common denominator rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish people would embed youtube videos of the song they're talking about. If someone was looking over my shoulder I'd be embarrassed by the number of these songs I've had to look up.

I'm a bit out of touch and haven't really listened to anything new in a long time, but I did have the misfortune of running into this assault on the ears:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kowloon wrote: »
    I wish people would embed youtube videos of the song they're talking about. If someone was looking over my shoulder I'd be embarrassed by the number of these songs I've had to look up.

I'm a bit out of touch and haven't really listened to anything new in a long time, but I did have the misfortune of running into this assault on the ears:

Cannot stand that description of a "woman" and I use that term loosely.
    Bizarre music and bizarre individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Why the fuk is he singing about getting dressed??

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Anything by Elvis. Really don't care for his music.

Sinatra too, or any of those Rat-Pack crooner type singers.

Woah, I'm gonna have to stop you there. I'm not a fan of Elvis, but this is brilliant.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

"Call me maybe".
    No fcuk off you cnut. You fry my head.
    She is hot all the same though and she can call me anytime she wants. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

kowloon wrote: »

MarkHitide wrote: »
    'Kaynya Feenya Fawll'.

Crap song , but gets people out of their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Chris Isaak- wicked game

Makes me wana cut my own sack off. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Suas11 wrote: »

Sex on Fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Glen Hansard, all of them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're examples (mostly) of their early stuff LT. When they were a boy band as such. Even then, the melodies and structures beneath the fluffy lyrics were new, or new to mainstream pop. They were bringing in influences from classical music and oddly even medieval church music(they used plagal cadences a lot to end songs. Something you won't find in other pop music of the time or even much today), then threw in stuff from Indian music(Jealous guy by Lennon, written when he was in the Beatles. Sounds like any other pop ballad yea? Only it's written almost entirely in pentatonic scale(black keys on a piano) like eastern music, yet you don't notice or think it exotic. That takes real talent). Current classical music at the time had become atonal and unpopular, fast disappearing up it's own arse. Between the Beatles and film score composers they brought classical music back to popularity.

On the happy front, a lot of even their early stuff has darkness, loss, an edge behind the melody. Yesterday for a start. In my life another. Eleanor Rigby is a given for dark with no happy ending. Even Help which sounds upbeat is a cry for well... help. One of Lennon's early moptop lyrics has the line "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to see you with another man". Cliff Richard it ain't. In many ways they were much darker than say the Rolling Stones, whose darkness advertises itself almost self consciously. Happy complex little tunes that sound simple with an underlying edge is often more dark than obviously aiming for that effect. Ray Davies of the Kinks another who would be similar and as good at that. A happy teenybopper singing along to Help when it's about a man feeling increasingly trapped by his life is way cooler IMHO.
    Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I forgot Coldplay in my earlier post (rant).

Coldplay are truly awful, they are comparable to a basin of dirty dishwater.
    I'd plus one that QM. They are soooo bloody bland. And simplistic. Stadium rock by numbers and simple numbers at that. They've been called "U2 lite", but IMHO U2 at their best blow them clear out of the water musically, lyrically and in live performance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd plus one that QM. They are soooo bloody bland. And simplistic. Stadium rock by numbers and simple numbers at that. They've been called "U2 lite", but IMHO U2 at their best blow them clear out of the water musically, lyrically and in live performance.

I always have to laugh when I hear that comparison between Coldplay and U2 - the person who admits that has also admitted that they know absolutely nothing about music or have any musical taste.

U2, whether you like them or not, are an excellent band; with a high level of complexity both lyrically and musically. It is high-class rock. They are not a band I particularly like but they are a few songs here and there I love.

Coldplay at best is elevator music (aka dirty dishwater music) and its only connection to rock is the fact that they play drums and guitars. McFly also play real instruments, that also doesn't make them a rock band.

Coldplay are for people who think they are cool and want to go to a large concert but are basically scared.

Advertisement