Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the song that you hate that everybody loves!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Jijsaw wrote: »
    You know I was going to say that but PC Police comments were going to flood in ;) Since when does a song have a sexual preference?

Don't be stupid. You know what I mean

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I forgot Coldplay in my earlier post (rant).

Coldplay are truly awful, they are comparable to a basin of dirty dishwater.

I'm sorry, but I cannot let this many people mock coldplay. They are a good band

Coldplay are for people who think they are cool and want to go to a large concert but are basically scared.

Scared of what though?

lazygal wrote: »
    The Irish national anthem.
    Thin Lizzy Dancing in the Moonlight.
    Come on Eileen.

Brings another one to mind: Whiskey in the jar, tin lizzy

I don't mind 'Come on Eileen' though

TheBza wrote: »
    I FUKCING HATE THIS SONG!
    New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Sorry.. I like that song!!

• Advertisement

Gangnam Style, stupid song and equally stupid dance.

Honorable mention: Sharon Shannon & Dessie O'Halloran, an oul' lad that can't sing for sh*te.

cOUld u post a link. All I could find was 'courtin in the kitchen'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Lelantos wrote: »
    Simple chord structure, easy lyrics to remember, catchy chorus you could teach to a toddler & from a male perspective, a pretty good video.

All this, and I still hated it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LasTime wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I cannot let this many people mock coldplay. They are a good band
    They're really not LT. Oh don't get me wrong there are a couple of their songs that won't make me change the dail on the radio(In my place would be one), but overall they're bland, cliched and horribly predictable. Like I said muzak by numbers. Lyrically they're beyond dire. Seriously read some of their lyrics. Jesus. That paradise song. Para para paradise. Cringworthy. Generations of dead wordsmiths are spinning in their graves. Worse, they're a band bereft of all human juices. Plastic pop for the iPhone generation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Something you won't find in other pop music of the time or even much today), then threw in stuff from Indian music(Jealous guy by Lennon, written when he was in the Beatles. Sounds like any other pop ballad yea? Only it's written almost entirely in pentatonic scale(black keys on a piano) like eastern music, yet you don't notice or think it exotic. That takes real talent).

Jealous Guy is not on the black keys. Its in the key of G, uses just the F# as one of the few black keys

Beatles songs ARE simple and happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Bet im alone here but HATE Angels ..Robbie Williams and most if his others apart from Candy

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Anything by the Killers, they are truly ****ing awful.

Unfortunately they are also one of my OH's favourite bands :mad:

Their first album was fantastic. Actually I would go so far as to say innovative...Mr. Brightside was a genius piece of pop... but after that...oh jesus, Coldplay's weaker sibling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

That twat meatloaf singing I would do anything for love or whatever the f*ck its name is,and them silly bi*ches singing that song on the Bord Failte adds on tha radio,every tosser of a DJ going on about how big they were going to become,Im really angry now:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jealous Guy is not on the black keys. Its in the key of G, uses just the F# as one of the few black keys
    Maybe in the "Play along with the Beatles in three chords" guitar book, but nope you're wrong. Have an oul read of this.
    Beatles songs ARE simple and happy
    Happy? Are you honestly saying Eleanor Rigby is a happy song? About an old lonely woman with no friends or family who dies at the buried at the end unmourned, except by an equally lonely priest and "no one was saved". Ehhhh. One of their most famous songs Yesterday is an ode to loss and regret. Simple? You must be having a laugh. Something like Strawberry Fields Forever is very complex both lyrically and musically. Shít I am the walrus has 16 chords running through it. There are 8 chord changes just in the intro.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

collegeme wrote: »
    Bet im alone here but HATE Angels ..Robbie Williams and most if his others apart from Candy

Some1 else mentioned angels. You can't hate 'feel' though! Did you 'Bodies'?

Maybe in the "Play along with the Beatles in three chords" guitar book, but nope you're wrong. Have an oul read of this.

I learned a bit of jealous guy on piano. Very few black keys. Besides there are no black keys in G pentatonic or E pentatonic. Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That paradise song.

Lived with people who listen to chart radio stations on the TV. That is quite the repetitive song.

I'm out of my depth when it comes to music, so I don't feel I can really criticise much, but other Coldplay songs always sounded to me like the were the run in to some big chorus or riff that never happened. They don't take off at all, just drop back into nothing again.

If there's a name for that I'm sure someone here knows it.

kowloon wrote: »
    Coldplay songs always sounded to me like the were the run in to some big chorus or riff that never happened. They don't take off at all, just drop back into nothing again.
    Well Paradise is not such an example!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kowloon wrote: »
    Lived with people who listen to chart radio stations on the TV. That is quite the repetitive song.

I'm out of my depth when it comes to music, so I don't feel I can really criticise much, but other Coldplay songs always sounded to me like the were the run in to some big chorus or riff that never happened.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Don't be stupid. You know what I mean

Ah but do you know what you mean?

• Advertisement

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Ah but do you know what you mean?

Continuing this ridiculous game: yes

I learned a bit of jealous guy on piano. Very few black keys. Besides there are no black keys in G pentatonic or E pentatonic. Nonsense
    Jeez you are literal. I said pentatonic and threw in "the black keys on a piano" as widely understood shorthand for the concept. Did you even read the link I posted? Short version, you're incorrect.

Actually thought more on this and remembered a programme on channel 4 IIRC where a certain Howard Goodall who I think we can both agree knows far more about music than either of us noted this among other things in their music. Than feck for youtube(and for being horribly vague in a google seasrhc and still finding it:eek:).

Skip to 3 minutes in, where he plays and explains musically an early version of the song. QED. Latin for "I'm smug, cos you're wrong". :)

Then again you have stated earlier that "(Coldplay) are a good band", so I'm definitely going to take the mainstream and expert opinion and even mine over yours on music and music theory. Don't get me wrong, it's all about what someone likes or doesn't like. That's the great thing today we have soooo much choice to listen to, even compared to 30 years ago.

That said like and appreciate/respect can be separated. EG while I don't particularly like Pink Floyd, always found them personally dull to my ears(dunno why TBH), I definitely respect them as musicians and songwriters and can see why they are universally liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Anything by Damien Rice.

Music to cut yourself by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anything by fuc king Meatloaf. The fat bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Fields of Athenry.
    Willie McBride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Come Out You Black & Tan, worst rebel song lyrics of all time.

Oh yes, how could I forget. Layla and all Eric Clapton songs

And 'sitting on the Dock of the bay' song

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tie a yellow ribbon - seemed to be played non-stop in the seventies

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blumpkine

Stairway to Heaven. Plant sounds like a cat. It's awful. It's got cod-philosophical lyrics and is too damned long. Even the solo is boring as hell.

• Advertisement

Blumpkine wrote: »
    Stairway to Heaven. Plant sounds like a cat. It's awful. It's got cod-philosophical lyrics and is too damned long. Even the solo is boring as hell.

It certainly takes all the credit though

Advertisement