Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You can give now one lego set to yourself ( when you were a child ). Go!

• 01-03-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I see that we have a small, but quite nice community here. I would live to have us banter a bit more. So far we only discuss the new sets and minifigs. We are already grown ups who play with children toys, so might as well have some more fun :D.

So idea is simple. You can give any set to yourself when you were kid. It's like a very damn limited time machine. :D.

So I'll try to start this one off:

I would go for 4x4 crawler 9398. As a child I never had big sets and as a child I always wanted an RC car, but never had one too. Both things were extremely expensive from where I came from and our family was on a poor side.
    So if I would have 9398 when I was I child I would be over the heaven. I loved building cars and with my very limited resources I used to make some awesome machines. I would make all kids my ages jealous. 9398 would have given me a great idea of 4x4 setups and give a full RC possibility to any of my creations. There were no stifled parts back then, but it would still be a great addition to my builds. I think 9398 has a bit less parts, then I had all together back in the day. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The 1983 Space Lego Galaxy Commander ship (model 6980) - as an 8 year old lad - it was top of my wish list but alas Santa brought me something else.

I'd love to get my hands on it still...

If you mean today's Lego sets - probably the City Airport (3182) or the Star Wars 7965 Millenium Falcon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The 1983 Space Lego Galaxy Commander ship (model 6980) - as an 8 year old lad - it was top of my wish list but alas Santa brought me something else.

I'd love to get my hands on it still...

If you mean today's Lego sets - probably the City Airport (3182) or the Star Wars 7965 Millenium Falcon.

I mean more of ANY set. Something that you think you would love to have as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Mindstorms. My world would be very different now!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

I got 8868 back in the day and absolutely loved building it. Would love if it could have been 8421 (an obvious one to suggest I know, but I just love the look of it!). Looking forward to seeing what this new crane is like now when it's released!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

As a kid I wanted 6080 kings castle when I was 9 but santa brought something else.

Nowdays I would pick 9474 helms deep to send back and give to my 9 year old self, while I like Technic nowdays back then it was knights and monsters ect.

• Advertisement

Derek93 wrote: »
    As a kid I wanted 6080 kings castle when I was 9 but santa brought something else.

Nowdays I would pick 9474 helms deep to send back and give to my 9 year old self, while I like Technic nowdays back then it was knights and monsters ect.

Did you built it? I still haven't built it, but by the looks of it castle builders quite like it.

I wonder if you would like it as a child without the back story. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The thing is, I was useless at building as a child. So I never appreciated decent builds, and was impatient to get to the final article so I could just play with it. I only really got Lego at Christmas, and my brother would always do most of the building. Should have known I wasn't destined to be a MOCcer :D

So, build consideration doesn't come into this decision, it would be all about play value. With that in mind, I can't think of anything better than 10188 Death Star. While I wasn't huge into the Star Wars movies when I was young (bit of a late bloomer) this is just the ultimate playset. I have it on display now, but damn it, this behemoth is just meant to be played with.

The thing is, I was useless at building as a child. So I never appreciated decent builds, and was impatient to get to the final article so I could just play with it. I only really got Lego at Christmas, and my brother would always do most of the building. Should have known I wasn't destined to be a MOCcer :D

So, build consideration doesn't come into this decision, it would be all about play value. With that in mind, I can't think of anything better than 10188 Death Star. While I wasn't huge into the Star Wars movies when I was young (bit of a late bloomer) this is just the ultimate playset. I have it on display now, but damn it, this behemoth is just meant to be played with.

That is what I actually like about deaths tar compared to UCS stuff. It is big, it is expensive, but after building it, it is not just an dust magnet. There are plenty of playability on that thing. So it's like best of both worlds. Great showcase set and great playing set,

That is what I actually like about deaths tar compared to UCS stuff. It is big, it is expensive, but after building it, it is not just an dust magnet. There are plenty of playability on that thing. So it's like best of both worlds. Great showcase set and great playing set,
    I think you're quite harsh on UCS stuff - you really have to have them in front of you to fully appreciate them. I love my DS but the Imperial Shuttle is a far more impressive display piece, it's like a piece of art. Besides, the DS doesn't get played with so it's just as much a dust magnet!

I think you're quite harsh on UCS stuff - you really have to have them in front of you to fully appreciate them. I love my DS but the Imperial Shuttle is a far more impressive display piece, it's like a piece of art. Besides, the DS doesn't get played with so it's just as much a dust magnet!

From UCS I do like the shuttle most. It is very impressive looking thing. I am not convinced with something like star destroyer though. It might look cool in flesh, I won't argue, but I read a good few people opinions ( who own it ) that it is a complete dust magnet after. You even have to build it where you plan to keep it as it is impossible to move it after as it will fall apart.
    Now I do know that there are people who love UCS stuff and that's fair play. For every set, there is a fan. That's how it should be. I know that there are people who don't like technic or Lotr and that is grand too. We can't all like everything. :) where I do love those themes.

I might sound like a bit over critical at times and I apologise, I don't want to sound like a dick, I just mostly being honest with my opinion on sets. :)

• Advertisement

No need for apologies - if we all liked everything we'd be pursuing second mortgages to support the hobby! I think my point was more than since I don't play with sets and they're only for display, they're all equally dust magnets (literally, it's so hard to keep them clean :()

No need for apologies - if we all liked everything we'd be pursuing second mortgages to support the hobby! I think my point was more than since I don't play with sets and they're only for display, they're all equally dust magnets (literally, it's so hard to keep them clean :()

compressed air cans. We use those to clean PCs inside. works great. It would be great for lego too. I will need to get few can myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

not sure that i would give myself a big set if i had the chance now. when we were young we had a box of very random lego, dont really ever remember actual sets, think most of it was inheriated from relations etc? but it was not that useful if i remember correctly, can remember loads of archs for example, and they are only so useful. so if i had the chance to give my young self the gift of lego think i would go with loads of random bits and bobs, and a few smalish sets for ideas, then let the young me discover what lego is actually about i.e. the name came from the Danish phrase leg godt, meaning "play well." so play with it, design something fairly basic, see how to improve it, rebuild it, repeat.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    not sure that i would give myself a big set if i had the chance now. when we were young we had a box of very random lego, dont really ever remember actual sets, think most of it was inheriated from relations etc? but it was not that useful if i remember correctly, can remember loads of archs for example, and they are only so useful. so if i had the chance to give my young self the gift of lego think i would go with loads of random bits and bobs, and a few smalish sets for ideas, then let the young me discover what lego is actually about i.e. the name came from the Danish phrase leg godt, meaning "play well." so play with it, design something fairly basic, see how to improve it, rebuild it, repeat.

Well, you are breaking the rules of our little mini game ;). The challenge is to chose one set, that would include most stuff you like about lego. Try to hit the golden spot when you were young.
    I myself was not a collector, but pure builder. I would put set together and break it up. Then build it again. Mix with all other lego and build toys for myself. Then break it down and build new ones. I had never lego gathering dust! I remember I could put together almost blind folded most of my sets too. This is the amount of building, rebuilding, mixing I used to do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Really?? Just one?!!

Hmmm well i remember always wanting a fire station when I was a child but there's more selection now.. I was mad about the turtles when I was little so I'm sure i would have loved something to do with them! I also loved anything to do with pirates and knights in armour etc..

The winner though for me would be the haunted house! I only saw this recently and might just get it as a gift to myself some time soon. I'm pretty sure if I gave this to myself as a child I would have loved it as I was into vampires and all things spooky!! Obviously still am! Haha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

shadow, i agree i did cheat "somewhat", been trying to get some time to think about it, but work is nuts, will come back to this in a bit. not ignoring this discussion, its a good one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Like I opined earlier on this thread, this is what I really wanted as a kid...

post-34739-0-13580900-1356328722.jpg

These days I wouldn't say no to the Star wars Death Star - either time warped back to the 80s or now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

I remember that as a kid jupiter, the classic space stuff was fairly cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

This: 8001-1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Derek93 wrote: »
    I remember that as a kid jupiter, the classic space stuff was fairly cool.
    I remember the very first version of it in the late 70's. Saved up my pocket money to collect it and made sure rellies like my grandparents knew what to get for my birthday.:)
    Classic_Space_1979.jpg
    That was before the white and yellow bricks came in like in JK's one above. It was one of the first to have loads of specialty bricks which was cool.

I pretty much got the lot, but missed out on the "Galaxy transporter" the big fecker flying on the right in the picture. It was very pricey for me and when I had saved up the money Easons in Dublin had sold out of them. Major :( for me. So that one would defo be the one set I'd give to myself as a kid.

Fast forward many years and I see one with orig instructions on ebay in the mid nougthies at a bargain price(30 quid IIRC) and I had to have it. :) Funny the only Lego I kept from my childhood was that space stuff. Still have it, now it's a complete set. Stored in boxes in the attic, with instructions too. Might be worth a few bob now the complete set. Every five years at xmas I build it up one more time. Have done since I was 20. Mad? yea probably :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Cant remember the age but i so wanted a lego mtron set 6989 but the parents got me mtron set 6923 and thrust me it was a massive dissapointment to a child :P

Wibbs wrote: »
    I remember the very first version of it in the late 70's. Saved up my pocket money to collect it and made sure rellies like my grandparents knew what to get for my birthday.:)

http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/3/3d/Classic_Space_1979.jpg

That was before the white and yellow bricks came in like in JK's one above. It was one of the first to have loads of specialty bricks which was cool.

I pretty much got the lot, but missed out on the "Galaxy transporter" the big fecker flying on the right in the picture. It was very pricey for me and when I had saved up the money Easons in Dublin had sold out of them. Major :( for me. So that one would defo be the one set I'd give to myself as a kid.

Fast forward many years and I see one with orig instructions on ebay in the mid nougthies at a bargain price(30 quid IIRC) and I had to have it. :) Funny the only Lego I kept from my childhood was that space stuff. Still have it, now it's a complete set. Stored in boxes in the attic, with instructions too. Might be worth a few bob now the complete set. Every five years at xmas I build it up one more time. Have done since I was 20. Mad? yea probably :D

Awesome. I used to love the Space stuff too. They just don't do it like they used to [/old man voice]. If you look at the Space stuff of today, everything has to involve a conflict. I'm not sure if it's the attention span of kids today, but you'd never see a good old exploration set on shelves these days - the space guys have to be blowing something up.

Awesome. I used to love the Space stuff too. They just don't do it like they used to [/old man voice]. If you look at the Space stuff of today, everything has to involve a conflict. I'm not sure if it's the attention span of kids today, but you'd never see a good old exploration set on shelves these days - the space guys have to be blowing something up.

I agree, though I dont mind conflict in space theme too. My problem with the current theme - it just sucks... All things are out of shape and those bugs are very flimsy too.

Look at this and tell me its not epic even by today's standarts?

001.jpg

This is still a bit of a dream set for me:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6991-1

I'd take that over all of the 'Galaxy Squad' sets combined.

This is still a bit of a dream set for me:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6991-1

I'd take that over all of the 'Galaxy Squad' sets combined.

I think there is one of these for sale on donedeal, but no clue what he wants for it. I would love a mono rail myself. I wish they would rerelease it! :(

Advertisement