Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef teriyaki

Options
  • 01-03-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I'd like to make this but there are a gazillion recipes out there for the marinade. Does anyone have a fail-safe and delicious recipe for this? Also, I'm trying to be good so I'm hoping for something relatively low sugar. I have delicious palm sugar at home so I'm hoping I can use that and keep it to a minimum. Any recommendations most welcome! Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Do you have a slow cooker?

I mix 1/3 cup apple juice with 1/3 cup soy sauce, a tablespoon of honey, 2 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon chilli powder. Dice up some red onion and garlic, and put it into the slow cooker with the beef for 8 hours on low. Simple as that.

I occasionally add some allspice if I'm in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pork steak (the long ones in vacuum packs) are great with teriyaki. Flatten them out and marinate and they do great on a BBQ. Pork steak can be got on offer a lot of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

OldBean wrote: »
    Do you have a slow cooker?

I mix 1/3 cup apple juice with 1/3 cup soy sauce, a tablespoon of honey, 2 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon chilli powder. Dice up some red onion and garlic, and put it into the slow cooker with the beef for 8 hours on low. Simple as that.

I occasionally add some allspice if I'm in the mood.

AMAZING! And I was just looking for some new recipes for my slow cooker! What sort of beef do you use? And have you ever tried adding other vegetables in with the mix?

Funny, I actually have exactly this on for dinner tonight. I just use diced stewing beef. I often throw in corn, beans, various greens, etc about halfway through the cook. Onions would be wonderful but herself hates them, and carrots would work, but I'm not a fan! We usually serve it over cauliflower rice.

Enjoy!

OldBean wrote: »
    cauliflower rice.

Enjoy!

Whats cauliflower rice??? And how does one make this?

• Advertisement

Boil cauliflower with some salt, then push it through a food processor with a ricing accessory - Fast, gluten free, low carb, high fibre and tasty to boot. It's hard go back to normal rice after you get used to it!

Oooo sounds delicious - will definately give it a go sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alternate method for cauli rice.
    Grate raw cauliflower with a regular cheese grater. Microwave for 3 mins. Stir/fluff halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

I mix 1/3 cup apple juice with 1/3 cup soy sauce, a tablespoon of honey, 2 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon chilli powder. Dice up some red onion and garlic, and put it into the slow cooker with the beef for 8 hours on low.

This is an interesting recipe. Do you brown the meat beforehand?

I generally don't - I like to leave it in for as long as possible as low as possible. The apple/soy/ginger sounds bit unusual at first, but as soon as you mix it, it smells exactly like/better than a store bought teriyaki sauce, without all the preservatives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement