Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Chowder !

Options
  • 01-03-2013 2:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭

My local fish shop does a fish mix (smoked, white, crab, lobster etc ) all chopped up and sold by weight. Would love to do something with that but dont have a clue. I could make Seafood Chowder soup ( dont have a clue) but any recipes for this lovely mix of fish ?
    Andy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

i threw together a nice clam chowder using fresh clams i picked at the beach the other day, i'd imagine it would work well with any kind of fish. since i reserved the clam juice left after steaming the clams i added fish stock to this recipe.

ingredients:

8 medium potatoes, cubed (remove skin if you like but no harm leaving it on)
    2 stalks of celery
    2 bay leaves
    1 large onion chopped
    litre of fish stock
    cup of milk
    cup of heavy (double) cream (about 250ml)
    some fresh parsley, thyme and/or dill
    6 slices of bacon
    pepper to season (white or black)
    your choice of fish

1. fry the bacon until crisp, then add onion and cook until soft
    2. add a drop of oil to a pot, throw in the bacon and onion, celery and the spuds, cook and soften for a minute or two before adding the stock
    3. add thyme and bay leaf, season with pepper, cover and allow to simmer until potatoes are fork tender.. about 15mins
    (you can add a dash of white wine at this stage as well.. i usually do! .. dont overdo it though as it can be a bit over powering)
    4. add your fish and boil just long enough to cook, around 3-5mins
    5. stir in some chopped parsley and cream and warm on a low heat

.. it's important not to overcook at the end as youll ruin the texture of the fish and the cream will seperate. i never add salt as i find the bacon and fish contain enough salt as it is.

hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I always use Kevin Dundon's recipe, it's absolutely yum!

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0922/404-seafood-chowder/

You could also make a nice warming fish pie.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/favourites/fish-pie/

Advertisement