Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hoping that Pikmin 3 will be one of them!

You're contemplating adding a red labelled Selects game to your collection? How dare you sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd never buy a Selects game. Well not on purpose at least, I think they detract from the look of a collection. I bought a sealed copy of DKCR on Ebay who had a cover photo of the normal game but when it arrived it was the Selects version. Sneaky so and so's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've probably been collecting and playing games longer than most of you.
    If what the cover looks like bothers you so much you are probably in the wrong hobby.
    The joy of gaming, and Nintendo gaming in particular, is the games you can play on wonderful Nintendo hardware, utterly divorced from the colour scheme of the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Have to keep a watch out for WiiU's myself, I own 2 games I can't even play lol.
    CliCliW wrote: »
    Virtue's last reward couldn't have gone on sale at a better time, I'm currently in the process of finishing 999 and I've enjoyed it so much. I can't wait to move onto the rest of the series!
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Ditto! I just started playing it about a month ago and finally got all of the endings! Cracking game! Started Virtue's last reward a week ago :D
    Glad to see the phoneix wright games on sale also, a particular favourite of mine :)
    So delighted to see more people playing Zero Escape! There wasn't many replies on the Gaming (General) thread for it. I preordered for Vita to get the watch, it was US only, unfortunately it broke and still waiting fur a friend to get another one.
    PW also a favourite of mine, demo for the latest one is out this month and full game is out next month for €30 digital only.

Well bid on that ad from Ebay I posted earlier. 2 minutes left and still only 1 bidder.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Well bid on that ad from Ebay I posted earlier. 2 minutes left and still only 1 bidder.
    I can't buy anything right now unfortunately, I'll have better luck next time :)

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Selects) (Wii U) is €19.19 on Base.com. Postage is €1.55.

http://www.base.com/buy/product/legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-selects-wii-u/dgc-zelwwhdswiiu.htm

They've the other Wii U Selects range as well for similar prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yusss! (Pikmin3)

Seems a bit cheeky with Toad and Mario Party, aren't they usually cut price anyway?! I suppose they're running out of games to pick :D

The dirty ******* *******!

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    The dirty ******* *******!

Not happy there? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not happy there? :pac:

He's not happy about those red spines. :P

Did someone mention there will be a 3DS selects release also, with New Leaf? Would like to get that for €20 or so.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    He's not happy about those red spines. :P

Did someone mention there will be a 3DS selects release also, with New Leaf? Would like to get that for €20 or so.

In the states there is. Probably be in the next wave for us now, whenever that is.

In fairness to Nintendo, the spines are still the standard blue, so they will still blend in with the rest. We would just have to deal with the awful front.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pac1Man wrote: »
    In fairness to Nintendo, the spines are still the standard blue, so they will still blend in with the rest. We would just have to deal with the awful front.

I stopped caring about game cases after the cardboard era, back when you actually got a manual too. Neo Geo Pocket Colour game cases are great.
    Sure they're all just dvd cases more or less now. Boring looking yokes whatever the cover art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

So am I the only one then who takes all his games out of their default cases, chucks the cases in the bin and keeps everything in space efficient DVD wallets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

So am I the only one then who takes all his games out of their default cases, chucks the cases in the bin and keeps everything in space efficient DVD wallets?

Yes, yes you are! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You sick, sick individual!

:D

I generally don't buy physical games anymore, so who's the worst monster here? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yes, yes you are! :eek:
    chrislad wrote: »
    You sick, sick individual!

In my defense I like the game cases nearly arranged on a shelf as much as the next guy.

The problem comes when you move house multiple times, and that lovely shelf of games becomes 4 or 5 decently sized packing boxes OR one large CD wallet that can slot in anywhere.

Try to move all those boxes multiple times in a van, and you'll find your love of game cases can die pretty swiftly.

I'll dig out a picture of what I threw away if anybody wants to be horrified :D

That is sacrilegious. You can't and shouldn't have one without the other. Seriously, I know you've explained but I don't understand and could never do that. You've seriously reduced their value and thrown away good money. There's always someone out there looking for a spare original game case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Can you not just get any case and print out a replacement sleeve?
    Like with the "Selects". Take off the red cover and replace it with a normal one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Like with the "Selects". Take off the red cover and replace it with a normal one.
    You can buy the WiiU cases in bulk on ebay, then print out the covers if you've a decent printer. It won't be the same but it'd do given the naked nature of the games in his collection right now.
    I'm hoping he has kept the manuals though!

The_B_Man wrote: »

I'm nearly sure the game disk has a Selects surround on it aswell. I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm just OCD about it like many others I'm sure.

I also need to have the box inserts, even if they are just the generic 'how to operate' instructions. :(

I have my PS1 and Dreamcast games in a wallet, jewel cases just annoy me too much but I couldn't throw the boxes or manuals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Did this with my DVDs years ago, it's so handy! I kept all the sleeves in a little folder should I ever want them. Don't have enough games to warrant doing the same, but it wouldn't bother me too much! The game is on the disc, the rest is nice, but not necessary! I'm very much coming around to digital purchases too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure the game disk has a Selects surround on it aswell. I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm just OCD about it like many others I'm sure.

In the world of collecting, be it vinyl, stamps, books, whatever...original artwork is a big thing - and re-releases hold a lesser desirability. That's almost universal in collecting, and video game collecting is no different. So while it's mad, insane, irrational, and illogical, it's not out of the ordinary to want an original run, or original release variant. I should know, I'm one of those sickos :o

Indeed, the true magic of collecting games is playing the games. That's first and foremost, and for most, the damn box won't make the slightest difference. For a minority though, the artwork, the case, or whatever else, can and does make a difference. It's a psychological one, and as above, completely ridiculous, but it's a difference nonetheless.

Personally speaking I won't buy from the selects range, my mind just says throw a few extra quid at it and you'll have the original release, original artwork version. I actually brought a game back to CeX one time because the disc they gave me was a platinum release version. I asked to swap the disc out for the correct, non platiunum version which they had in stock. Ten heads isn't the word. It's silly, but hey, we all have our own particular vices :o

Agreed. It is part of the hobby as opposed to restricting the fun of the hobby. I have sold games in the past because they had a red label, only to buy the first print again at a later date.

For those of you who like the nice and proper cover on your Wii U games, Coolshop are selling off their stock before the Selects versions arrive next month.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is £19.95. That's €23 when converted and cheaper than the Selects version. They post to Ireland for free.

https://www.coolshop.co.uk/product/captain-toad-treasure-tracker/AH5NB7

I expect other online stores will likely do the same in the coming days and weeks.

Edit: Super Mario 3D World is £23.50.

https://www.coolshop.co.uk/product/super-mario-3d-world/A845MD

Though not as cheap I think Gameseek have reduced their prices as well.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/categories/NintendoWiiU/

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Pokemon red, blue and yellow for virtual console are going for £5.86 on shopto

The code appears in your account details immediately upon purchase

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/download/NDO2280260-3ds-ddc-vc-pokemon-yellow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in gamestop there today in Patrick's St in cork.

They are marking down loads of ambios to 7.50 not sure what ones but there was loads.

All the yarn yushi where 7.50 Anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement